How much do you need to retire?

How much do you need to retire

• SEMI RETIRE but still have work part time to cover present living expenses

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RETIRE with enough to cover your present living expenses

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • RETIRE with enough to cover your current living expenses and some extra for other investing

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • RETIRE with your present salary

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • RETIRE with your present salary and some extra for other investing

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • RETIRE with present salary x 2

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • RETIRE with present salary x 3

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • RETIRE RICH - the definition of rich is covering your living expenses from the interest on the cash

Votes: 22 47.8%

• Total voters
Thanks TheBacon

RETIRE with enough to cover your current living expenses and some extra for other investing
RETIRE with enough to cover your current living expenses and some extra for other investing

The second one is suppose to be retire with your present salary.
Any chance you can change this moderator?

I know my partner and I often talk about this - when we say "we want to retire" - what exactly do we mean by that?

For us it means doing what we want, when we want to.

Or to put it another way, freedom.

Of course you must have some concept of a dollar value to be able to reach some point of determination. Though the money itself is not important - only the freedom it gives you is important.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.

MB

I think the question here should read "How much do you WANT to retire". We really don't 'need' much to get by on, but living on baked beans and sleeping under bridges isn't really all that attractive!

I'll assume the question relates to 'want', and as such the simple answer has to be - as much as possible without having to live in relative poverty to acheive it.

I want to retire on enough income to do what I want. Pay ppor off, buy nice car $100k, go on hols, golf, surf, medical bills, martial arts, eat out, buy wine, garden.

And

I want to be able to buy more property and shares.

I also want to be able to do some work when I feel like it. bit of extra spending money and some people to chat with.

I recon a $100k per year should do, as long as it is indexed to inflation, I want to have the same buying power for the rest of my life.

Regards
Quoll

Back