how much do you spend on food each week?

About $150 per wk for the 3 of us (wife, little bubba and myself).

I'm vego which you'd think would shrink the bill a bit but I'm 6'3" and eat like a horse (which are also vegetarian).

My wife prob eats half what I do and my daughters still too young to make a real dent. As mentioned before tho, nappies and associated kidley-wink costs do add up....

Does seem like the shops cost about $20 more each time we go tho...is this just me or have prices exploded recently?

Looking forward to Aldi moving into SA hopefully soon (fingers crossed).

R:)

This thread has made me feel a bit better about my spending. Between $330-$380 for a week and that feeds a minimum of four adults. Often one adult is away for the evening meal.

I've also noticed that the last 6-12 months has seen an increase by about $100 a week in overall cost.

Theres no doubt costs have skyrocketed. I mean really, $24.95 for a kilo of nectarines???? Eeeek!!

Haven't a clue. But I'm a male chauvinist. :D

Last year I used to actually pay the Lady's CC and it was under $2g/m (more'n just food) but it's paid auto now so while I'm told it's gone up, I don't really know.

Theres no doubt costs have skyrocketed. I mean really, $24.95 for a kilo of nectarines???? Eeeek!!
My goodness, do people actually pay that much for fruit!?:eek: Are they gold-plated?? :confused:. That is just ridiculous - I live in the middle of no-where, and its not that $$....
Buy whats in season, its always cheaper!:)

Nadia

Is alcohol counted as food?

Just kidding; we are 2 adults and one 7 year old.

We spend around $150 per week.

Very few junk food items - no chips, cheezels, soft drinks etc - unless someone is coming over with a hoard of fat kids to placate, then we'll buy a bit.

Lots of fruit, veges, bread (for lunches) tuna and premium mince (for pastas, meat loaf), chicken and pastas, and the compulsory large tub of neapolitan ice cream.

Very little in the way of prime cuts of meat like steaks, chops etc.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking grocery prices have soared over the last 12mths - in particular fruit and veg (especially for those of us who don't always have time to go to the markets) and meat. Even chickens aren't as cheap as they used to be- gone are the days when BBQ chooks were on special for $4.99 at Woolies. $11 has become the norm and it's actually now cheaper to buy breast fillets and poach them for sandwiches, rather than buying a whole cooked chook.

$300-350 per wk for our family of five (plus assorted animals!) is pretty standard now, and along with everyone else I seek out the specials and try to buy fresh. With growing teens, they eat as much, if not more, than I do so it's a case of constantly filling up the fridge!!

Yippee Aldi are opening at Caloundra (supposed to be) at the end of this month. I can't wait. It will be well worth the 15 minute drive to save a a load of $$$$.

I haven't kept tabs on the grocery spending lately, as I haven't had time to do a big shop. I have been buying bits and pieces here and there - at $50 - $90 per trip it is costing a fortune.

Sunshine

I shop at Aldi all the time. You will find most of their products good value and good quality. They even have fresh salad sandwiches now for under $3. I have noticed that they are heaps busier this year than they have been previously

Xtra bits and fancy stuff I just get from Woolies or Coles:)

I have even typed up a list of Aldi in order of the shop. Have it pinned to notice board and we just highlight anything we need during the week.

Gee Cee

Greg

Am I spending way too much? What do other families spend?
In a normal week it would have to be around 250-300 dollars,we have a veggie garden all herbs for cooking,and six laying hens 3 are old and only lay 3 times a week but they all help we get about 35 eggs a week, buy all the fruits from the Rocklea markets friday morning for half price,meat is also bought in bulk the good cuts work out at 5-6 dollars a kilo,why pay 9 bucks for mince at wollies when in bulk you can buy Rump for 6 dollars that's for a family of 2 adults 3 teenage girls 2 dogs i cat and a few golffish,the big bill is Rice we go through about 20 kilo's a week that what happens when you have a Asian:) Wife,Plus I run the house and do al the cooking-lunches and what ever gets thrown at me..willair..

Or my son will spring an extra three friends on me on a night when I was too lazy to cook and was planning on scrambled eggs :eek:.

That is my idea of exciting :rolleyes:.

My kids (3 and 5) just seem to mush up most of what is on their plates, chew some and spit it out, swallow the odd bit and then what is left goes to the dog or the chooks. The longer it took to cook it, the less likely they are to eat it. Very frustrating:mad:.

Louise

Since my take home pay is only $400 a week, spending $300 a week on food is not an option.

There is only 3 of us now to feed, we spend about $60-70 a week.This includes our 3 cats.
Son works at hotel restaurant, so they are allowed to bring home any leftover food from the buffet at the end of the day.That helps feed him a lot !!!
We always buy our meat when it's reduced.Always try to buy everything else when it is on sale.
I take my lunch to work , which is usually leftovers from the night before or a sandwich.Coffee is in my trusted thermos.

I get paid monthly, so my budget is $220 a month for myself and my bird.
No, not a girlfriend, it's an actual bird. A Lutino Cockatiel. He doesn't eat much, hence the low budget.

We budget $70 per week for two people and a dog but rarely spend that much, normally round the 60 mark. That includes all cleaning and toiletries as well. Just stick to coles homebrand for most things but splurge on others (like john west tuna, but only when its on sale for 5 for $5) and love going late to get the discount meats.
We would eat out maybe one night a week on top of that.

Brett

Mainly just the 2 of us now. We would be spending 50 - 70pw. We don't eat meat and grow a lot of veges and fruit. On top of that we don't eat much (don't weigh much either) and rarely throw out food. Whatever gets thrown out goes to the worms and gets recycled into the garden and back into food (or weeds).

The world needs more people like this.

We spend about $100 a week for 2 adults and a toddler and probably another $100 to $150 a week eating out.

At $100 a week we could eat out about 3x dinner plus lunches coz there's so many cheap eats nearby. In Sunnybank yesterday, we had a bowl of pork noodles with a side of wonton soup (about 4 wontons) and a plate of dumplings (8) which cost $10 all up...could be cheaper than cooking it yourself and so delicious.

I think it's probably the food we eat being asians, is fairly cheap to buy yet very delicious. I can't eat loads of meat and I have to have carbs i.e rice often We also eat a lot of seafood.

I can't believe how cheap chicken drumstick and wings is in Oz. We also buy whole chicken and cut it up, different portions for different use. Usually, people prefer the breast but it's really dry to eat and expensive. We even use the bones for herbal soup which I try to make every 2nd day.

I love the fruit in Oz... we eat a lot of fruit. Can't wait to buy mangos by the box!

Does anyone shop at asian grocery? it can be cheaper than supermarkets and more variety. Especially for yummy snacks like jackfruit chips, preserved mangos and taro bunsthat takes 5 mins to steam. The rice at asian grocery is also much nicer than the supermarkets.

Back