How much does it cost to hold a $300k property

Hi forumites,

I have been working out how much it will cost me and my partner a year to hold an apartment worth 300k as an investment and was after some feedback. Lets say we borrrow the full amount, my calcualtions are:

Costs
Interest $27,000 a year (based on 9% interest)
Strata $2000 a year
Agency fees $1000 a year

Money in
rent (based on 5% yield) $15600

Overall it costs $14400 a year before an tax benefits.

This is obvioulsy a very simple calculation but I'm just trying to do some quick sums to see what we would be comfortable paying each month.

Any thought would be great

Thanks

Tax is a big component here.

Add in council rates of maybe another 1,500 a year? So your net tax loss excluding depreciation is 16,000.

Assuming 30% tax rate and 6k depreciation

(-16,000 x 0.7) + (6,000 x 0.3) = -9,400 or 180 per week.

BTW, you have to put in 15,000 yourself for stamp duty etc at the start. Your agents fees are a bit low bit we're talking +/- 1000.
Alex

you need to invest some $ and buy PIA personal. Its an excellent investment and will tell you to the dollar how much an IP will cost you.

That sounds like a good idea which I should probably take up myself.

I'm assuming you could claim this outright as a tax deduction against your IPs?? Anyone?

Tax is a big component here.

Add in council rates of maybe another 1,500 a year? So your net tax loss excluding depreciation is 16,000.

Assuming 30% tax rate and 6k depreciation

(-16,000 x 0.7) + (6,000 x 0.3) = -9,400 or 180 per week.

BTW, you have to put in 15,000 yourself for stamp duty etc at the start. Your agents fees are a bit low bit we're talking +/- 1000.
Alex

alex...can you explain how you performed those calculations? confused why you are multiplying by 0.7 for net loss and 0.3 for depreciation.

alex...can you explain how you performed those calculations? confused why you are multiplying by 0.7 for net loss and 0.3 for depreciation.

I'm assuming a tax rate of 30%. So if you pay interest of $100, that's a tax deductible cash expense so it really costs you $70 (or $100 x 0.7). You pay out $100 but 'save' $30 in tax payable on other income.

Depreciation, however, is deductible but NOT cash, so you don't outlay anything but get the tax benefit of 30%. So for every $100 depreciation, you don't pay anything out, but save $30 on tax on other income. So your after tax position is $100 x 30% = $30.

When calculating after tax cashflow, cash and non cash expenses have very different effects.
Alex

Back