How much extra do tenants pay for A/C ?

Just wondering what the going rate is these days (extra) for a house with A/C?

Just had a tenant request it, getting in early before summer, and have come straight out and offered an extra $40/week.

Does this sound about right or do you reckon a bit more?

This would be for a box in the main bedroom and a split in the lounge area

They are good tenants and they seem keen to stay.

Dave

JThis would be for a box in the main bedroom and a split in the lounge area

A box in the bedroom? like one of those things that hang in the window?

I would have thought $20 extra for a split was good so $40 for two is on the money if a tad dear.
You may even be able to get a split system with two head units in different rooms and one compressor unit outside.
If it costs you $3000 and you use equity in you mortgage to buy it it going to cost you an extra $270py at 9% IO for a return of $2080py extra rent, plus any extra depreciation you can get.
Seems like a win/win to me.

From a tenants perspective:

The LL sent someone around to measure for one a few months ago and my rent was increased 20pw this year. It hasn't been done yet, I don't know whether they've decided to continue on or not.

If they don't put it in - I might contact them about it. I reckon pass on the full cost of interest on materials & installation and the landlord gets the depreciation and negative gearing for their trouble.

When I had aircon (2 houses ago) I only used it for 4 weeks a year and not for very long - I can do pretty well with opening up the whole house at night for cooling winds and closing it as tight as I can during the day, the only trouble comes when there has been consistently hot temperatures and the bricks etc are warmed up. My wife is pushing me to ask for one as this will be the 1st summer with a baby.

I work for a a/c company in Brisbane,

If you put a 2.5kw in the bedroom and say a 6kw (This will do around 40sqm) in the living you would be looking at around 2k if you went with lower end units and around 3k if you used top end. This would include power and is based on back to back installs on a lowset house. If you want more info PM me.

If your tenants are offering $40 pw they are more generous than mine who only agreed to pay $10 pw extra, I would do it.

I was planning on putting in a reverse cycle window airconditioner in the lounge of our little cottage (there's already power in the windowframe for one) just because it will come in cheaper than a combustion heater (they are $2500!) and it blows cold air as well as hot. Hopefully someone local sells one that'll work in subzero temperatures, ours isn't rated for that and tends to cut out and trip the breaker when we try and use it frozen.

My logic was just that providing one means the tenants are less likely to try and make weird shadecloth annexes on the house to keep out the sun, and less likely to use the open fireplaces if something else is provided. With an aircon or a combustion heater the open fire will be closed off and made unusable. Wasn't actually thinking extra rent, but I guess it will add something ... I wonder how the rent capping mob work it out - as it stands they say I can rent the house out for $60pw and the house has no cold water supply, no kitchen and some rooms have no lights and/or power points. Its like camping, but in a stone tent ..

Cool.

Email has been sent to PM so we will run with it
Like Shady says $2k in and $300 out + dep. + happy tenant looks like a winner.

Just hope they dont think i'm a pushover for accepting their $40 offer and start asking for me to wipe their bot bot as well.

Dave

Back