how much for a main road

HI GUYS

looking at buying a tidy place on a busy rd. it's not quite a main rd. but it;s busy. there's buses, schooles and churches on the road.

my question for forum members is:

how much discount to you expect for a buys rd? - eg 400k in a typical residential area. what would you expect the same house to go for on a busy rd?

Hi Zaph,

That's a toughie, because it depends on the buyer's opinion/intent. Bear in mind, you're referring to a busy road, not a main road. There can be a world of difference between the two. Just because it is a main road doesn't mean it will have heavier traffic than one of its alternate routes. This is why it's important to be on the ground, and look to see what is around (as it seems you've done) and how it fares at different times of the day. What is parking like during peak hours? Are there "no standing" zones, children's crossings etc? If so, how will its accessibility affect you/your potential tenants?

Personally as an investor, I have no issue with buying on a main road, provided there is no obstruction to the entry point onto the property. In other words, as long as you can safely drive into/out of the property without being rammed by an 18-wheeler screaming down behind you whilst you're sitting there patiently waiting to turn into the driveway; I'd consider it.

I've lived, bought and sold (for a handsome profit) on main roads, and (albeit a light sleeper) I don't mind the noise factor. Some people do, and think their tenants will also mind, hence they don't purchase on these roads. It is especially handy though if transport (ie. bus, tram) constitutes part of the everyday traffic, as that can add to the value of the property.

Main roads can be cheaper because often people assume they will be heavily trafficked, but this is not always the case.

Busy roads don't bother some people, and in fact, if they are within walking distance to nearby amenities such as schools, shops, transport etc, they can sell at a premium regardless of the traffic they attract.

Yes I kinda got that bit (the buses, schools and churches etc).

As I said, it depends on how you weigh things up; compare the pluses and the minues, for example:

Proximity of nearby bus service can be a plus, but...:)
A bus stop right outside your front door can be a minus! :(
Schools for tenants with school aged children can be a plus. :)
Schools for tenants without school aged children can be a minus. :rolleyes:
Churches tend to generally only attract a crowd on a Sunday, and unless its providing a route for the busloads of worshippers on their weekly pilgrimage, I can't see the problem too much.

Buy earplugs!! :p

Nahhh....seriously (all jokes aside) if you have ANY doubts, look elsewhere. It just ain't worth the headache, of either putting up with the noise yourself, or if tenanting it to others, them giving you (or your PM) cause for grief. Mind you, if they complain after they signed the lease agreement, then they really can't be expected to get any sympathy now can they???

Best of luck.

I know it's not the question you asked ... but anyway ..

I try not to buy places with obvious negatives . Harder to rent and sell.

Cliff

thanks everyone.

decided against this place. the vendor was asking non busy rd prices and would n't budge. i guess if they were willing to accept 20% off as some suggest then i would have considered.

cheers

Back