How much property history is needed to pass on to the Quantity Surveyor?

Planning to have a depreciation schedule done. QS requests info on dates of renovations that had been done prior to the purchase of the property. I don't have these details but could, with some effort and with co-operation on the part of the previous owner, probably find them out.

My question, for those of you with experience in these matters:

Which would you think would give me the higher depreciation value - finding out the dates and details of the renovations (if possible) or leaving it for the QS to assess?

I am thinking that the QS might just err on the generous side if details were unknown?

Any thoughts?

Wishlist

Most QSs tend to be cautious by nature. I suspect if they err, it's not going to be on the generous side.
Find out as much as you can - timing and extent of renos.
If you have no luck, a good QS will in many cases be able to estimate the approximate timing of a reno going by the materials used and the condition.
Scott

With respect Scott, I would expect that as a professional, you couldn't suggest it was any other way.;)

On some posts I've read it would seem that a depreciation schedule done by a QS tends toward the upper price range of items.

If any forumites have had a dep. schedule done on a property that had some renos done on it, what kind of results did you get, in respect of what the perceived value of the reno was vs what the QS assessed it as?

Thanks

Back