How Much To Review a Build Contract

A Solicitor in QLD has quoted $800 to review a build contract assuming "it is straightforward and no extensive negotiations and special conditions etc, required"

Is this a reasonable quote in your experience?

Does anyone have a Solicitor to recommend in QLD so I can get a few more quotes?

This is a contract to build a duplex.

Thanks All!

Depends what type of contract it is. If it's a standard HIA/QBCC/Master Builders contract with maybe a few special conditions, this is pretty reasonable. It might be on the higher end if it's really basic and you don't require much advice. If it's not one of these standard form contracts, it is cheap.

Last edited:
I agree that's a reasonable price for the most part. If you want to keep costs down why not read it and then just get the solicitor to advise on parts you don't understand?

Do your DD on the builder- if they are scumbags it won't really matter what the contract says you will be screwed over in any event sorry to report.
Make the liquidated damages amount enough to cover your finances and holding costs- don't let the builder leave it blank or put in $20 a day.

Make your final instalment as big as possible-10-15% as opposed to 5%.

Make sure everything is included in the specifications. If it is not there you won't get it (You wanted a mailbox/clothesline/TV antennae with that? That's an extra matey).

Where are you building if I can ask?

If the solicitor is also doing your conveyancing on the land purchase then you should be able to get out of it a lot cheaper if you are happy with verbal advice.

If you require written advice then I would say $800 is extremely reasonable. If we give written advice it needs to be extensive.

Back