How much value will a re-paint add?

I'm hoping to get a better revaluation from the bank, I've got a tripple fronted 1950's house with paint peeling off the gutters, timber windows and eves, seriously, I think the last time the house was painted would have been 30 years ago.

So if I spend $200 on paint, and roll up my sleves for a weekend of hard work, how much value would it add, if any at all?

$200 really?

I'm not sure how much surface area you have to cover...but i would be supprised if you can cover it with $200 worth of paint over 1 weekend. I suggest you go to a dulux paint shop and do a bit of research...there is a fair bit of time involved in preparing the surface of a house....the up side is if you do a good job it should add some value.

Hi tomhall, my Dad (bless him) is prepared to help me out, I know preparation of the surfaces, will take up the bulk of the work involved, the painting is the easy bit (and fun bit, if you are like me and love renovating!), but luckily no major defects, nothing a tube of no more gaps and pollyfilla wont fix, and you are probabally right usually my best guess for time to do a job always ends up more like double what I originally plan...

A 15 litre can of Dulux paint is $175 at Bunnings for memory

Is the house brick or weatherboard?

Maybe check here to approximate how many litres of paint you need.

If its weatherboard, then it will cost you substantially more than $200. Maybe add another 0. If its brick, then the effect on the valuation will be no more than what you spend imo.

Decided to JUST DO IT!

(it's a brick house)
bought from SOLVER
for gutters- 4L colour, no need for primer sealer undercoat on galv
for timber windows- 2L primer sealer undercoat for bare patches, 4L colour
for eves, 4L colour, (wont bother with undercoat, in better condition as out of rain)
(we already have brushes, rollers, gap sealant, sanding paper etc)
$247

will pop up some before and after pics when I get around to it

I'm hoping it will add $10,000 value to the property (maybe I'm dreaming...?)

Have fun!
Providing you haven't chosen hideous colours I think it will increase value
I agree with Westminster. The other thing to consider is the garden - you don't need a landscape gardener necessarily, but a lawn mow, weed and tidy up of existing plants will also help to really frame all your hard work.

Then all you'll need to do is sort out the inside! :eek:

drop into your local bunnings on a daily basis and check out their seconds for paint.... I picked up a 15L tin of taubums endure for $75!!! The previous person didn't like the color... so had used less then 1/2L. The color was a slight grey in the white, but for a cheap but expensive brand paint, who is to complain! It has painted 3 bedrooms, one was a normal size, the second has a extended tv room on it, and the 3rd is a parents/master room...

i know the one here in townsville bunnings does their 2nds for $5 a litre! So some paint you can get well and truely under half price! Downside is no choice of colour, but their paints do get updated daily with ppl bringing back stuff they dont like when they let it dry!. I have seen indoor and out door paints there.

Most banks wouldn't care what the house looks like (other than falling down) valuations are done on paper not by inspections from my experience.
A.

Decided to JUST DO IT!

I'm hoping it will add $10,000 value to the property (maybe I'm dreaming...?)

Yes I would agree that you are dreaming.

How large is the house (the living area)?

Is it largely original inside, original kitchen and bathroom? Was it last renovated in te 1990's or earlier? Do the floors look new as well?

What are the land values in the area? Do people often buy these 1950's houses and knock them down and build a new one?

Answer these questions and I may be able to give you a bit more of a guide as to wether it is a dream or a nightmare.

These are all factors that would affect the added value of a paint job. Yes it should add a bit of value but it may not add more than cost if you pay someone to do it.

If you do it yourself and do a poor job, you may have just wasted your time.

Before pic

1951 house, our PPOR, started scraping and sanding windows eves and gutters, house has only been painted twice in it's life, under the white used to be a nice heritage red gutters, lime green eves and yellow window frames, I would have loved to seen that, what were they thinking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 212
Back