How Organised Are You?

I'm referring to your financial affairs. Yes, we are trying to set ourselves up for our own financial freedom/retirement or whatever, but if we don't get to reap the benefit of our hard work someone else is going to. Our partners/our kids/our grandkids etc. Does your spouse/family know all the pies you've got your fingers into? Would they know where to look for the information? The reason I ask is because I've just recently been put to the test.

Less than 3 weeks ago, I was fine, and except for some routine tests for an unusual symptom I'd developed, my life was 'normal' and so was I - and then it all went to hell.

12/4 Tuesday - I was told I had cancer (quite badly)
13/4 Wednesday - I cleaned out my desk etc at work
14/4 Thursday - I saw the oncologist
15/4/ Friday - I had x rays and CT scans to see if it had spread elsewhere
19/4 Tuesday - I had the operation

Somewhere amongst all this I gathered my daughters around me one night and went through all my financial affairs with them so I could sort myself out there as best I could and with what time I had left, and we talked about ALL the possible outcomes (good & bad) of the disease and agreed how we'd handle them all. I mean let's face it I could have carked it during the actual op never mind the disease later on!

At this point I thought I was quite organised. I had a filing cabinet full of folders that were clearly marked "Superannuation", "Shares" etc. but no, as we went through it I realised there were a lot of holes in my 'system' which would have meant a lot of work for them in sorting out my affairs later on.

I found it very hard to focus considering what was going on, so sent an S.O.S. out to DaleGG and Rolf to help me get sorted while I still had a job/income, still had my wits about me (well some of them anyway), and wasn't drugged to the eyeballs or incapacitated in any way. This was pretty lousy on my part to dump this sort of news on them and also expect them to jump quickly for me, but desperate times call for desperate measures and they came through for me. If you look at the time frame above you'll see we are talking literally days to get me sorted out. HUGE, HUGE HUGE thank you to them - very much appreciated.

I've read how some of you don't have partners who share your 'investment interests' so probably they don't know what you're 'into'. I've read that some of you have elaborate excel files with all your ip info on them. Great, but does anyone know how to get into you PC and find the file and make sense of it? and what about the rest of your stuff? I've read how some of you have mounds of dockets/receipts etc and know that you're not organised and need help with a filing system. You get my drift and I think you know where I'm going with this.

GET YOURSELF ORGANISED NOW! Turns out I didn't have time to do a new will, or get a power of attorney drawn up, but got the rest of my 'stuff' listed in an easy to follow format. It really does have to be as simple as this -

IP 1
Address:
Value at 'date':
Loan with:
Their website is:
My Login:
My Password:
Type of Loan:
Loan Number:
Balance of Loan:
Property Manager is:
Rent is: $**.** per week
Repayments are deducted from blah blah account on the 17th of each month.
Rent is paid into blah blah account on the 2nd of each month.

and so on with your bank accounts, shares, superannuation etc. List who your solicitor, accountant and other important people are.

Make a hard copy and agree on where it should be kept so it can be found when needed. Update it with anything new as you go along. This way they don't have to know where anything is except that list.

Well, I obviously survived the op and the good news is they seem to have got it all and I'm now home recouperating. With luck, further medical treatment to kill off any strays, (radiation & chemo), change in diet, (I had started to make changes here already - speeding up the process now), change in mindset (my job ruled my life and nearly robbed me of it. I'm such a stresshead - I'm adopting the 'who gives a f***' attitude now), change in exercise (actually gonna do some :) ), Reiki, and other stuff I haven't even decided on yet - I should get through and be fine for a few more years to come.

Anyway, my final word on the subject is - don't leave your loved ones a treasure hunt with no map.

Live long and prosper,
Cheers
Olly

Hey Olly,

You know our thoughts are with you, and we hope you have a speedy recovery.....just keep the chin up and smiling. :)

Your post certainly made me think though, maybe its about time we sorted out our minefield.

Please keep us up to date with how everything is going.

Ruby :)

G'day Olly,

Timely words, Olly - thank you. I'm one who would probably be leaving a "minefield" - of course, I know where everything is, but it would certainly leave a cryptic puzzle if I were to leap off this mortal coil....

Top marks to Rolf and Dale for leaping in - onya, blokes !!! But Olly, your point is well-made, and the "simple answer" is indeed something I will devote myself to over the next few days, then deposit the result at home.

Good luck to you, too. My thoughts are with you

Regards,

Dear Olly,

Olly, you come across as a very courageous and strong woman. You have faced what you must do full on and not crumbled into a million pieces like I probably would have.

I too would leave a total mess behind because most of our families do not even know about the shares and Ips we have bought...wouldnt they get a shock :)

At least we have a safe where all papers are kept, but only Mr Bird knows the combination at this stage, I will find it out tonight. My only fear would be if someone finds all the information, just imagine the damage they could do!

Mrs Bird

Organised Minefield

Olly

My thoughts are with you, hope the improvement continues until you are literally jumping out of your skin with good health

Luckily, Alan was very organised and I have been able to find what I thought was everything, took it all to the solicitors. However, in the mail on Friday came notification of a dividend into his account for some shares he held that I never thought of, I have no idea of how many other shares he held, although I know he told me each time he bought some and if I had the password for the computer I am sure I would find out. So your advice is very timely and I would add write down your password somewhere for the trading account online at least that way the family can establish just what accounts and money you hold.

Keeping the Will up to date is the other one. Although our circumstances had not changed as far as family members are concerned, since we made the will in 1967, the legal company holding the will had been taken over twice, so now its a hunt for the original, although it can be proofed on the copy apparently. Had we had a new Will made with our current solicitor it would have been far more straightforward.

It is also a lot more complicated when there is a business involved and there is work in progress, this has been another nightmare trying to work out where Al was up to with various designs and of course they are on the MAC which I couldn't work out how to turn on. That is now solved some bright young thing came along and taught me!! PCs I am fine but MACs I am lost, I wish I'd watched when Al turned it on!!!

Good luck Olly and keep us up to date with your progress
Thinking of you
Chris

Hi Olly.

Very thought provoking and how courageous of you to post this in what I can only imagine must be a dreadful time for you, same applies/d to Chrispy.

Sincerely hope that everything comes up trumps for you.

Very hard to try and say (type) the right thing but just know that people here will be thinking of you.

Regards
Marty

Dear Olly,

Thanks for your courageous sharing. Our thoughts are with you. I pray that God will give you and your family, strength and hope.

Regards
Toba

Thanks Olly

My affairs are a mess, it would take someone weeks to work out what is going on.

Being mid thirties and very healthy don't think about getting the affairs organised just in case. Must be a carry over from the "I'm indestructable" phase that most males have in the late Teens early Twenties.

Hope the recovery continues to be good.

cheers
quoll

Hi Olly,
things work out and importantly keep a positive attitude, as I see you do. I have been there of sorts, I used to control all finacial desicions in our house hold and then had a major breakdown due to over work, my dad died from cancer " I had spent 7 sleepless nights in hospital at his bedside till he passed away, 12 weeks later our little Zac died of SIDS on new years day at 11 weeks old, a perfectly happy baby and ten a heart attack some months later. My wife had to assume all financial control as with my breakdown and all the above I was in no fit state to make every day desicions, but when the big ones came I managed.

Made me think when I got better that I no longer knew P.I.N numbers or where accounts were held, what had to be paid when. If something happened to my wife I would have been lost. We have made a pact to make sure that we were never in this boat again. I have regained control and started ti invest in property since. "Things have a way of working out" Kepp in there and fight with all your heart and anything is then possible.

My heart is with you
many kind regards
John.

PS: We are facing another major health crisis in the family at the moment so I do know where you are at present. Stick in there!!!!

Thank you for sharing with us Olly, Chrispy and Brizzy Boy, you are people of brave mettle. I have been genuinely touched by all of your moving personal accounts and wish you and your families the very best from here on in.

Olly your advice about sorting and documenting our personal affairs is excellent, and a real eye opener for me. After reading your post I realise I have so many more things to document... a will only seems to go so far ... there are the finer details and procedures that need to be recorded. Thank you for the wake up call.

Olly
good luck with your recovery and l wish you great strength to overcome it all.

Thanks for the wake up.I a now writing all our info down.
[My hubby wouldn,t even know where to begin including turning on the computer]

Chrispy and BrizzyBoy good luck to you both with challenges you are facing.

yadreamin

Olly, thank you for sharing. Please take care and I hope you have more energetic/feelin' good days than the 'blah' ones while you get through this.

Thoughts and prayers for your daughters too, must have been a shock for you all {rescue remedy all round}

Olly,

Keep your chin up and concentrate on getting well! So sad to hear of your grim news and thanks for the reminder about paperwork. I often think of how one of us would cope if the other wasn't there, and it's not just your financials that need to be in order, either. So much to think about, when it's really the last thing on one's mind.....

Remember we're all thinking of you here at Somersoft :) :)

Back