How should property be marketed and sold?

I bought a rug off some discount website last year for my grotty, well-trodden entryway. I wanted big and cheap, and the cheapest big rug I could get local was $400 or so.

The one I got was on discount from $999 to $35 :eek: (plus postage, but that wasn't much either and it took 6 weeks to get to me. I watched the tracking - it went through Adelaide 3 times before they got it to me)

Jon,

OPTION 3.

As a buyer, I always want to know the price of what I'm buying. Consumers in this information age are more sophisticated and able to research their products before they buy.

In the world of sales, the rule of looking after the customer is first and foremost; no matter what the industry.

In real estate, the customer is the BUYER; not the seller as many r/e's think.

While r/e's work for the Vendor, they are basically a salesperson, and the Vendor is the supplier of the product they sell.

If a r/e wants to be better at selling, they need to make the process of selling their product to the buyer as easy as possible, by providing as much service and info on the product and sale process as they can.

I think r/e's should do a better job of first finding out exactly what the Vendor expects from the sale, and then concentrate their efforts on helping the BUYER to BUY.

This doesn't mean having thousands of dollars of ads - totally useless for all concerned except the agents. The buyers are already out there looking on the internet and in the r/e's windows and trawling the streets.

What they need is information and service to help them make an informed decision.

If a Vendor wants to sell their home FAST, simply pay to get the joint valued by a licensed valuer, make an estimate of the property's value based on the valuer's report and a bit of detective work, and advertise it at the correct price.

I guess the answer for the r/e agents is; How professional are you at SELLING real estate?

Anyone can whack a ton of ads in a paper and wander around in a suit showing properties.

Are you completely briefed on ALL the relevant information about the property that a prospective BUYER might ask for?

The are going to ask obvious stuff like:
Address
Block size
Rates
Zoning
Building size
Rent return
Year built
Proximity to amenities, schools, etc.

All these things are part of buying a house for both o/o's and investors. Give them the info before they ask, or have it ready when they ask..

"I don't know" doesn't cut it.

Put it all in a simple brochure that can be faxed, emailed, handed to a prospective buyer.

It may be so but whenever I do an online search in RE.com I enter both the bottom and top price. Anything without a price is automatically disregarded, no ifs no buts. I wonder how many in here are doing the same thing.

Absolutely!! Myself and everyone I know who deals with Real Estate purchase thinks the same way.

Anything without a price (and/or an address at most times) I completely disregard.

Hiya,

To those supporting that theory; I am curious as to how you'd react, if that was the *only* way that property was advertised, as per Jon's question...?

Cheers

James.

I'd have to change the criteria on my email alerts from RE.com.....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hiya,

To those supporting that theory; I am curious as to how you'd react, if that was the *only* way that property was advertised, as per Jon's question...?

A good question, James, as what is the 'done thing' changes people's expectations, though won't necessarily make them happy.

Eg until recently if you were going to buy in Melbourne's Wakelin Belt then excluding auctions properties will greatly reduce choice. So though as a buyer you might hate auctions you'll be resigned to the fact that 'that's how things are done' and reluctantly make bids.

If all agents failed to advertise prices and addresses we'd similarly hate it but get used to it. As complaining consumers/buyers there's not much we can do until some enterprising agent realises stuffing around buyers ain't good business. But as serious businesspeople/investors we might revel in their stupidity and delight in opportunities presented by likely reduced competition.

Agents out of touch of buyers expectations (method of sale AS WELL AS price) can result in poor prices for vendors.

An example is agents who try to impose auctions on cheap outer suburbs, even though attendances are poor, the weather is terrible and it's strictly private sale territory. In this case an ordinary house I considered was worth $165-170k (nothing else advertised for under $175k) sold at auction in the low $150s to the sole bidder. Great for an investor but maybe not so good for the poorly advised vendor (and that was 2007 in suburban Melbourne as well).

Again it's that there are two mindsets of buyers; the consumers/buyers and the business-minded/experienced investors. The former might complain and be put off; the latter sees various sales systems inappropriately used and sniffs opportunity. But it's the former group who are most numerous and will pay a high price, so agents must make themselves (and most importantly the property) accessible to this group.

Peter

Unless it was forced by legislation (which aint going to happen IMO), then that would never be the case. Sellers won't collude to make buyers do more work - they will try and make it easy for them (provide info) in the hope of gaining an advantage (buyers following up their ad).The average person values and buys everything (groceries, cars, electronics etc) based on advertised price- they aren't suddenly going to change methods and effectively become expert valuers (like investors ;) ) when buying their own home.

If it did happen, then it would just mean that we (investors and OO) would have to spend more time on the phone, or in person, looking just to see whether a particular property meets your criteria for further followup.

Hiya,

Cheers

James.

Some very good responses here and I would like to discuss a few points further.

It would appear that the majority of BUYERS like the ceiling price on the property so that they can calculate down from it. Far be it for me to buck this trend although I can see some issues with this system.

“Little houses on the hillside and they were all made out of ticky-tacky and they all looked just the same.” If only this were the case and all houses were just the same then applying a value to them would be relatively easy, but they are not and indeed some houses are like nothing else to compare with. This makes valuing difficult at best.

Emmachisit?"
"20 dollars"
"I'll give you $15"
"$18"
"OK - I'll have it"

Sounds so ideal – if only it were that way in practice. Let’s see

Emmachisit? End Owlongonmkt?
“$400,000”
“I’ll give you $300,000
“$360,000”
“OK – I’ll have it”

Why is real estate any different? If there is to be legislation and only one pricing option was allowed, then that's the one most would be comfortable with.

I don’t disagree that most people feel comfortable with it, but does this necessarily make it right? It is different because very few properties are the same and calculating value is difficult for both sides of the equation.

A fixed asking price gives the buyer an anchor. Business-minded buyers with a keen eye for values don't need one but most people (ie most of the market) do feel more comfortable with a starting point.

Yep – if only we could get the asking price right first time every time. An educated Buyer could look at a property and pretty well place it where it sits in the market and perhaps not miss out on some deals just because he was fixated on asking price and discounted the property because the price was too high.

If the secret of making money is 'giving buyers what they want (incl finding a way to profit from this)' then this is at odds with a negotiating maxim 'that the first person who nominates a figure is the loser'.

Agreed but why does it have to be the Seller? We all know that if ten people looked at the same property and placed what they were prepared to pay for it on a piece of paper we would probably get ten different values. Wouldn’t it be good to be able to take the highest offer – that is the one from the person who wanted it the most.

There's a bit of control-freakery involved - some agents (especially Jenmans) think that withholding information gives them a better sales opportunity since buyers MUST phone to get basic info and the agents can do their sales spiel (ie 'qualify' you and maybe sell another). This could also be seen as a hoop to discourage tyre-kickers, but at the same time agents time can be wasted on basic/boring questions that a good ad would answer (eg address, price and bedrooms).

Buyers complain about Agents for not trying to help them but when they try to qualify them so that they can help they are just annoying. There seems to be a abnormally here.

I
s a good property love at first sight, or is it one that gradually grows on you? If the former then the buyer will gladly jump through hoops. But if the buyer interest is initially marginal then any obstacle (even if just phoning an agent) is too much and a buyer has just been lost.

I believe that most purchases are love at first sight, but even if they are not and the Buyer is too lazy to do some work then tough bikkies, they miss out. There really is more than one buyer for each property and only one can buy it. I couldn’t count the number of Buyers who would have paid more and expected you to read their mind while they were being smart and not showing any interest in the property only to blame the Agent because they missed out.

My observation (similar to JamesGG & Daz) is that the more experienced/business minded buyers need no anchors. They know how much the property is worth to them based on what they can do with the property and/or comparative sales and yields*.

Bring on the intelligent ones.

EFFECT OF ASKING PRICE

The actual figures can be (though they shouldn't be) influential. Say a fair price for a property was $200k. Advertising may be as follows for the various methods:

1. might be set at $200k
2. might be $180k+ (or for a Melbourne auction $160k+ )
3. might be $210k
4. might be $180 - 220k (or for a Melbourne Auction $160 - 180k)

The only problem with this is convincing the Seller that their $200,000 property is not worth $300,000 and still getting the listing. If all you experts think that this is easy – think again. This is the crux of the whole listing with a price method.

As a final though, what's best for confident value-seeking investor buyers is different to Joe Average. And Joe Average provides the bulk of the market and may pay more than investors (at least for low-middle end property) it's important to have a sales method friendly to him. Because of its similarities with many other transactions, 3. above is it.

Sad but true, given that most OO’s will pay more for a property than most Investors, it’s not difficult to see why Investors are not often taken seriously.

LA Auzzie

In real estate, the customer is the BUYER; not the seller as many r/e's think.

While r/e's work for the Vendor, they are basically a salesperson, and the Vendor is the supplier of the product they sell.

Hi mate we have had this discussion before and while your thoughts sound good and fair, unfortunately the Department of Fair Trading don’t see it that way.

162 Real estate agent must not act for more than 1 party
(1) A real estate agent must not act for more than 1 party to a
transaction.

Division 2 Appointment
133 Appointment of real estate agent—general
(1) A real estate agent must not act as a real estate agent for a
person (client) to perform an activity (service) for the client
unless—
(a) the client first appoints the real estate agent in writing;

It may be beneficial for some to read the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act here http://http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/P/PropAgMoDA00.pdf

I think r/e's should do a better job of first finding out exactly what the Vendor expects from the sale, and then concentrate their efforts on helping the BUYER to BUY.

And wouldn’t it be great if Sellers trusted Agents as much as Buyers do and answered all of our probing questions honestly. I once sold a property for a couple and it was not till after settlement that I discovered that they were separated and not even living in the same house (she just left some women’s things in the wardrobe and bathroom)

This doesn't mean having thousands of dollars of ads - totally useless for all concerned except the agents. The buyers are already out there looking on the internet and in the r/e's windows and trawling the streets.

Again we have had this discussion before and I should just leave it alone as I know you will never change your mind, but for the others here who might take this statement as gospel – THINK AGAIN – The fact is that you can’t sell a secret and the likely Buyer for your property may not be a local, or they might just miss it. Why is it we will pay $10 to sell a $100 fridge but they object to paying to advertise there largest asset?

If a Vendor wants to sell their home FAST, simply pay to get the joint valued by a licensed valuer, make an estimate of the property's value based on the valuer's report and a bit of detective work, and advertise it at the correct price.

This, I agree would be a good start. Unfortunately Sellers are just as lazy as Buyers and want Agents to tell them so that they can disagree. After all we only want to put a cheap price on it so that we can sell it quickly and get our undeserved commission

Hey Guys and Gals – Please take my comments with the humor that I tried to insert.
If selling Real Estate were that simple everyone would be doing it and the good people that I meet far outweigh the ugly ones and make my job enjoyable. Most of the time.

I also like the idea of on-line ebay style bidding (still with open house inspections and ads can state the bidding dates). Buyers can enter their highest price that they're willing to go and sellers can list an outrageous (or reasonable) "buy now" price if they wish. This method seems to be a happy medium between a few options and might produce a win/win result. Just had a look, and there are about 30 odd real estate properties on ebay au right now. I wouldn't mind if this method went mainstream...

Absolutely!! Myself and everyone I know who deals with Real Estate purchase thinks the same way.

Anything without a price (and/or an address at most times) I completely disregard.

At the risk of giving away trade secrets (i'm sure most people know of this anyway)...

when you go into a listing on RE.com that has no price, right click your mouse and click on "view source". A new page will come up...then go to the edit menu and click on find and type in "adprice" - it will highlight that word on the page with a number after it - that is the price which the agent has put against the property in the background of re.com - regardless of what appears on the actual page.

Now, it aint ALWAYS accurate - but generally pretty close to reality.

Great thread John!! I personally like the no price option - as both an agent and a buyer/seller.

LA Auzzie

Hi mate we have had this discussion before and while your thoughts sound good and fair, unfortunately the Department of Fair Trading don’t see it that way.

162 Real estate agent must not act for more than 1 party
(1) A real estate agent must not act for more than 1 party to a
transaction.

Division 2 Appointment
133 Appointment of real estate agent—general
(1) A real estate agent must not act as a real estate agent for a
person (client) to perform an activity (service) for the client
unless—
(a) the client first appoints the real estate agent in writing;

It may be beneficial for some to read the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act here http://http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGISLTN/CURRENT/P/PropAgMoDA00.pdf

You've misinterpreted my post on this item Jon.

I know that agents can only work for one person - the Seller, but there main area of focus as far as their workload goes to get a sale needs to be with the buyer.

The Vendor is simply selling, and the Agent is employed by the Vendor to sell the property. Once the agent has signed the Vendor for the listing, there is not a lot more to do with the seller - just report in now and again, do a bit of conditioning here and there.

It's far easier to talk a price down with a seller whose house has been sitting on the market for 3 months with no bites than it is to talk up a buyer who knows the house has been sitting there for that time.

The real workload is back with the BUYERS. The agent then needs to sell them the property. He is going to spend most of his time showing them properties, fielding their questions and phone calls and trying to get them to make reasonable offers based on the selling price that the Vendor and the agent have decided on - assuming it is a realistic asking price.

At the risk of giving away trade secrets (i'm sure most people know of this anyway)...

when you go into a listing on RE.com that has no price, right click your mouse and click on "view source". A new page will come up...then go to the edit menu and click on find and type in "adprice" - it will highlight that word on the page with a number after it - that is the price which the agent has put against the property in the background of re.com - regardless of what appears on the actual page.

Now, it aint ALWAYS accurate - but generally pretty close to reality.

Great thread John!! I personally like the no price option - as both an agent and a buyer/seller.

Thanks for this. Yes, I'm already aware of it but am under the impression after talking with agent friends, that this 'Adprice' is moreso to do with price-point search results, rather then what an agent really thinks the property is worth.

IE: Adprice of $250,000 is just to lure buyers who do a search for properties in the $250,000 to $300,000 range.

Is this right or are you saying that the agent actually believes the house to be worth only $250,000?

Very interested in your reply and thanks.:)

heya...

yes you are 100% correct - this is the figure that places the ad in its spot when the search results are sorted by price.

HOWEVER - notwithstanding a few complete morons, any agent knows that the figure you put in the background is generally a figure at or slightly below where you see the properties true value...

to explain.

if marketing without price (my personal favourite) you have to still put something in that field in the back end of RE.com. It would be suicide to put a figure that is miles away from where the home sits on the market...

OR

say if you have a property listed at say 500k on the sellers instruction, but you know full well its not worth any more that 450k - you would put a search range in from say 430 so that it picks up buyers in that bracket.

sorry if this is disjointed - typing quick to get to an appointment - let me know if i need o clarify and i will have another go when i have a few spare mins.

cheers
UC

heya...

yes you are 100% correct - this is the figure that places the ad in its spot when the search results are sorted by price.

HOWEVER - notwithstanding a few complete morons, any agent knows that the figure you put in the background is generally a figure at or slightly below where you see the properties true value...

to explain.

if marketing without price (my personal favourite) you have to still put something in that field in the back end of RE.com. It would be suicide to put a figure that is miles away from where the home sits on the market...

OR

say if you have a property listed at say 500k on the sellers instruction, but you know full well its not worth any more that 450k - you would put a search range in from say 430 so that it picks up buyers in that bracket.

sorry if this is disjointed - typing quick to get to an appointment - let me know if i need o clarify and i will have another go when i have a few spare mins.

cheers
UC

Thanks again! Perfectly clear to me. :)

Joh with all this info,you would now be now able to write your own book how to Sell-Buy Real Estate in a flat market-and still make money..
willair..

Quote from Bayview (LAA incognito)

The are going to ask obvious stuff like:
Address
Block size
Rates
Zoning
Building size
Rent return
Year built
Proximity to amenities, schools, etc.

What do the neighbours smell like?

"I don't know" doesn't cut it.

So what information should be known or not known. Where do you draw the line? Like others have mentioned do you provide professional valuations, depreciation schedules, original construction plans, soil tests, your motivation for selling?

Put it all in a simple brochure that can be faxed, emailed, handed to a prospective buyer.

How simple should this be Marc? What do you and others here think should be reasonably disclosed? And who is responsible to provide that information? The Agent? The Vendor? Or should the buyer be responsible as it stands at the moment. This is a very grey area which, as it presently stands, results in all parties needing to know the rules of engagement.

All he is saying the more info you provide the more chance you have of selling a property.

The more disclosure, the more the buyer knows about the property, the more chnace they will buy it.

Why is it a grey area? I'ts just marketing 101. "the more you tell, the more you sell"

By the way, 99% of agents dont market a property, they advertise it. Advertising is only one form of marketing and the most expensive one at that.

Quote from Bayview (LAA incognito)

What do the neighbours smell like?

So what information should be known or not known. Where do you draw the line? Like others have mentioned do you provide professional valuations, depreciation schedules, original construction plans, soil tests, your motivation for selling?

How simple should this be Marc? What do you and others here think should be reasonably disclosed? And who is responsible to provide that information? The Agent? The Vendor? Or should the buyer be responsible as it stands at the moment. This is a very grey area which, as it presently stands, results in all parties needing to know the rules of engagement.

Back