Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Following up from my first poll re this

Who should do the asking ?

Us - in person
Us - via letter
Though letting agent
Though third party - one of the professionals on the forum offer to do this .

Cliff

Following up from my first poll re this

Who should do the asking ?

Us - in person
Us - via letter
Though letting agent
Though third party - one of the professionals on the forum offer to do this .

Cliff

If they normally deal with the agent then I would keep it that way, perhaps an explanatory letter to the agent so they in turn can explain to the tenant.

Under the circumstances could you offer the agent a "bonus" if they can place them in another house asap. The biggest problem with moving is finding a place then actually getting accepted as a tenant, the agent could help here.

Depends on the tenant,iv'e always found the face too face sometimes is the only way,did you ever think about the tenants may want to move anyway,..

Depends on the tenant,iv'e always found the face too face sometimes is the only way,did you ever think about the tenants may want to move anyway,..

Yes .

Thinking of approaching them with " we've sold our house and at the end of the lease we will be moving in , but wanted to see if it was convenient for you to leave early . We've been watching the rental market and if anything it seems softer than when you moved in ( it does ). "

Cliff

All you can do is ask the question,but add something maybe money or free rent for a few weeks prior just try and keep the Real Estate Agents out of the process once egos come into play the window is shut in your face..most people understand life in normal terms just hope for you the people have level minds and a few dollars on the side will help..imho..

I would do it through a note in the letterbox and follow that up with a visit, Cliff.
You can't just lob on the doorstep with the news and the offer because they may have trouble getting their head around it and would feel ambushed.
Set it out clearly and tell them when you will drop around to have a chat about it.

I would do it through a note in the letterbox and follow that up with a visit, Cliff.
You can't just lob on the doorstep with the news and the offer because they may have trouble getting their head around it and would feel ambushed.
Set it out clearly and tell them when you will drop around to have a chat about it.

Good thoughts

Cliff

You could also do it through the agent and advise you would be happy to be a referee on another application as they are great tenants.

The reality is, if you are renting, it is a temporary situation so it should not really come as a surprise - so long as you give enough notice to them.

Definitely letting agent.

Keep the professional distance. This is one of the main reasons I believe having a PM and not attempting to do it yourself is so important. Maintaining that distance also keeps us objective and not involving emotions in a business contract.

Leo

Thinking of approaching them with " we've sold our house and at the end of the lease we will be moving in , but wanted to see if it was convenient for you to leave early . We've been watching the rental market and if anything it seems softer than when you moved in ( it does ). "

Cliff

I think the letterbox notice is a good idea. Put your number on the bottom so they can ring you when they have digested that they will be moving and possibly add "we are happy to release you without penalty if you decide to take advantage of finding a house now rather than miss all the good ones that will be taken in January" (in your own words, but you get the idea). If they realise (by your informing them) that the peak renting time is January and if they move now they get the pick of what is available, whereas if they wait until May they get the dregs, they may decide to jump now, especially with a rent free period on offer.

I like the idea of the PM finding them something else, and if you can get the PM on board with this, put that in the note too.

I'd offer that once they give two weeks' notice they have found something, as long as it is before xx date, that the rent for that last two weeks is free (or four weeks - whatever you are comfortable with). You'll know soon enough what they think of the offer.

Even though you have a PM, I would want to word it how I want it worded. Chinese whispers can change a message, the nuance of how it is meant to be read. We all know this from this very forum, where messages can be read wrongly, and if the PM doesn't word it how you want it worded, in your favour, then you risk them digging their heels in and thinking "stuff you, I'm staying to the last day".

We did something similar last year.

We emailed the tenants and informed them we were not renewing their lease.
They were told if they wanted to leave early, there would be no penalty.

We also said if they left a couple of months early, we would give them xx, if they left only a month early, we would give them x.

They thought about it, and emailed back...and took the x offer.

Everyone was happy.

Story so far , went through the letting agent and while she was saying the " right things " to us , my wife had reservations about the way she was saying it and asked me to talk to her and again , although she was saying the right things I found the tone in her voice quite condescending.

So , we wrote an nice apologetic letter to the tenant ( told the letting agent we were doing this ) emailed and hand delivered and they replied saying they were looking at options available . The tenant rang today and indicated they were quite willing to leave but it was just a matter finding the right property and he described what they were looking for and asked if we'd seen anything that fitted that description , so now my wife is being enlisted as a pseudo rental buyers agent .

While the tenant was talking to me he raised the fact he found rental agents much more difficult to deal with than buying agents so while I didnt go into details , I got the impression that the rental agent hadn't accurately represented our position .

So looks like we should be able to work things out . In case they don't find something by the time we settle , we worked out the cost of storing our stuff is less than the rent we'll be getting , I can stay with my parents , vicki can take the dogs and spend some time in our weekender and the kids ... :eek:

Cliff

Great comments on this post. Will be keeping in my subscriptions for later reference!

We are selling an IP that is currently tenanted and I'm glad that I personally approached the tenant at the start of the process. First by letter outlining what I was doing (and giving them first offer on the purchase!) and asking them to contact me if they felt comfortable to meet with me. We met at a cafe and I went through my thoughts (meeting in a public place put them at ease so they didn't think that I was inspecting the IP!). The tenant is really great with the open homes and I'm hoping my approach here smoothed the process.

Back