How to approach neighbour for new fence?

Not the best way to start off a relationship with new neighbour.
Have to ask him for 1/2 the cost of a new side fence.

We are bulding a new house and the old side timber fence is basically falling over, too old, needs to be replaced.
The neighbour looks like a pensioner, don't know if he's got any money?

What's the best way to go about this.

I figure it is by a formal letter with a couple of quotes attached for a replacement timber fence.
Council want's $12 and ID to give me the neighbours name....

Or, should I just speak with him about it?

I want to put in colourbond fencing to match the other sides, but know he only has to pay for timber.
I'm willing to pay the difference, but probably should try to get this out of him too, as it will be better for both of us.

Any tips on how to deal with this situation?

Thanks

I would always go with the personal face to face discussion first. Have you met him yet? If not, then make yourself known and bring up the fence issue at the same time.

He might have a desire for a better fence, he might not. Until you introduce yourself and speak with him, you cannot make any assumptions.

I know if it was me, I would much rather have a friendly chat rather than simply receive a letter asking for half share of a new fence, especially if that is my first contact with a new neighbour.

Honestly I would knock and the door and explain the situation - think about what you would prefer - you'd want someone to be upfront and honest. Then say you'll follow up with a letter and x3 quotes (but explain he is also able to get quotes to compare).

You can probably get an idea by looking at the house if he is someone that likes to keep the place looking good/invest in it or is letting it go, that might give you an idea of how likely he is to be difficult and/or accept to pay for Colourbond...

I'm sort of in this situation myself, but I know the neighbour cannot afford to pay for the fence. So I dare say I will be footing the whole fence.

I would want to meet a neighbour face to face and introduce your self and simple have a general chat and bring up about the fence and see what his view is he maybe wanting it replaced and not sure how to approach you on the matter cause your building a new house and may not be able to afford half a fence.

Face to face better than a letter.

Brian

Last fence I did I paid for it all. The neighbour wasn't interested in a new fence and certainly wouldn't have been keen to pay for it, so I decided it was easier for me to just pay the lot. He did like his new fence, though.

Last fence I did I paid for it all. The neighbour wasn't interested in a new fence and certainly wouldn't have been keen to pay for it, so I decided it was easier for me to just pay the lot. He did like his new fence, though.

I think that is the best too.
The person wanting the fence should be paying for it.

But I also know, you have ways of handling this with Council.

Thanks for replies.

I actually don't mind paying the lot myself.
We have to do other fencing too (duplex dividing fence).

Also, this fence was on the fill side of the site, and has started to lean alot more and go a bit wavy since we started development, so we are partly to blame.
But, it has deteriorated beyond repair and was due for replacement.

Will probably speak to him first to see how he responds.

Thanks

if you get a bad response build the new one in front of the old one on your land...that way they other dude cant play games with your fence at any stage which can happen....

once a fence goes up on the actual boundary line they own half...

Also, this fence was on the fill side of the site, and has started to lean alot more and go a bit wavy since we started development, so we are partly to blame.
But, it has deteriorated beyond repair and was due for replacement.

It reads like you did some excavation on your side and have weakened an already frail fence to the point where it now need to be replaced.

I'd be copping the full cost and leaving the neighbour alone.

It reads like you did some excavation on your side and have weakened an already frail fence to the point where it now need to be replaced.

I'd be copping the full cost and leaving the neighbour alone.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The fact is, the fence was due for replacement even before we even started development.
As previously mentioned: the fence had already deteriorated beyond repair and was due for replacement.

If our actions caused a fence in good condition to fall over, of course we would cover the costs.
In this case, the fence was badly damaged by termites and rot.

The fact is, the fence was due for replacement even before we even started development.

Fair enough, but I hope that you had already taken photos prior to development, to show that this is the case if it becomes a dispute.

It's quite easy for the pensioner to say that his fence was upright and fine until the development next door caused it to tip over.

Last edited:
Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this issue.

I'm on the other side here, my neighbour is renovating and wants to replace a fence that is fully functional and solid with something they deem is more aesthetically pleasing.

Personally I dont want to spend money where I don't have to. Would I be reasonable in saying that if they want to replace it they pay 75% and I pay 25%?

Just wondering what other people's thoughts are on this issue.

I'm on the other side here, my neighbour is renovating and wants to replace a fence that is fully functional and solid with something they deem is more aesthetically pleasing.

Personally I dont want to spend money where I don't have to. Would I be reasonable in saying that if they want to replace it they pay 75% and I pay 25%?

If the fence was fully functioning and solid and I didn't mind it's aesthetics, I would settle for them paying 100% and me 0% of a replacement fence they want (but isn't needed).

Jason

If the fence was fully functioning and solid and I didn't mind it's aesthetics, I would settle for them paying 100% and me 0% of a replacement fence they want (but isn't needed).

I second that. We had this recently where we politely refused a (reasonably abrupt) request for half share of a new fence from the body corporate of a block of units that runs behind four different houses. I believe they want a uniform fence right through but that is a "want" and certainly not a "need".

The fence on our boundary and on the boundary of the units and the house next to us is perfectly fine, solid and we have heard no more. The neighbour also refused. The body corporate no doubt thought it was worth a try :rolleyes:.

I agree! If the fence is ok and not required and you don't care to have it replaced, then I would not be offering to pay anything, and legally I don't think you are required to either.

Is this on one side? Is it really going to be that much aesthetically pleasing if you have one good fence one side and one ordinary fence the other anyhow?

We share a common driveway.

There are 3 fences in this scenario

Fence #1
They want to erect one right on the boundary. There is currently no fence. I don't think one is required, but it will make the place look nicer from the outside.

Fence / Gate #2
The driveway between the two buildings. There is currently a gate there (approx 1.6m). They have taken off their half for the purposes of rendering (without consent, but im not going to kick up a fuss about this). They actually don't want to put a fence there. I want one because of added privacy. Without the gate, people can simply jump the fence and peer right into both our windows.

They are happy to put it back but would prefer that it be changed. This fence is fully functional and although a few years old, it still looks pretty new. Its only when you put your face right up to it do you notice a few scratches on the paint.

Fence #3
Towards the end of the shared driveway (ie not visible from the street provided Fence #2 is restored).

The previous owner encroached on the shared driveway. As a result, this will need to be moved so that it is within my boundary. I believe I can do this without getting a new fence (as its on a railing, i just need to move the railing), but they would prefer a new fence so that it is more uniform with the one they want to put in.

Last edited:
Back