how to become a real estate agent

Are there any real estate agents here?

I have a friend who would like to get into real estate. He currently works in a builder's company as a manager. I thought it would be very easy for him to go get a exam to be an agent. Am I right? But the only drawback is he doesn't have sales experience, which could mean he will have to start without salary and only earn commission?
How much can a real esate agent earn per year?

I have a friend who would like to get into real estate. He currently works in a builder's company as a manager. I thought it would be very easy for him to go get a exam to be an agent. Am I right? But the only drawback is he doesn't have sales experience, which could mean he will have to start without salary and only earn commission?

It is extremely easy to get a real estate representatives license.

Takes just a 2 week full time course, which is designed to make sure everyone passes.( As many warm vertical bodies who can be out there soliciting for new listings etc.. is all the course is designed for.)

The instructors will even look over your shoulder whilst doing the exam, and say, "I wouldn't be putting that answer in if I were you."

The Jenman system prefers that you have no real estate experience, and will pay you a base salary from day one. Sounds great..., until you look into this further, yet it's also very easy to obtain a job within the mainstream system too.

The law clearly states that no-one should be totally working for commission only, but this seems to be ignored by almost every real estate agency out there.

I, amongst others who did the course, asked how they get away with it, considering we had just spent the last half hour reading about it, only to be told there are ways around it.:rolleyes::rolleyes::eek::eek:

I have been offered salary based jobs in RE, but mostly it is commission only. That's much of the reason the industry has such a high turnover of workers, and always jobs available.

$52k and upwards a year, was always being touted to me, as an achievable result within the first couple of years. Well.....:cool:

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

I have some connections with real estate and know people in the industry. You ask how much do they earn? How long is a piece of string? It depends on the amount of sales and what you're selling. The people I know are in the Albert Park area so they make a nice living (and work long hours for it). Bottom end is probably around $50K, but like I said, in the Albert Park area I've heard of agents making $250-500K a year. A rough guide of the commission they get is, 10% of the total commission for listing and then another 20% if they sell. So if they sell a $1M property, say they agency charges 2% commission, that's a total $20K for the company, then the agent gets $2,000 of that for the listing and another 20% if he sells. I'm sure they all have their own methods, but that's an example. As for the certificate, yes, it's easy I believe, just a 2 week course to get your Agents Representative Certificate, but you can then go further and do the Certificate IV I think it is, which I believe makes you a fully licensed real estate agent, and can work for yourself... I think, but not exactly sure on that.

I was an agent for a few minutes. :(

There is no salary; you get a commission, and they pay you a small "advance on commission" each week to keep the cashflow going, but you have to pay this back out of the commissions.

The course is quite easy, and can be done at home, but the exams take place at their local area headquarters. Check withe the REIV where you need to go for this.

It's an interesting world, and you need a very thick skin, and not need a lot of cashflow in the beginning.

I think all agents start off like all Pollies; trying to do the right thing, be honest and help their clients, but at the end of the day the dollar wins and they do what they need to to survive and compromise their integrity or get out.

I got out.

I know one of my ex-golf pro colleagues who is an agent here in Dromana, and has been for at least 10 years that I know of. He loves it, but he said it took about 3 years before he started to see the benefits.

Working w'ends while everyone is down the beach would kill me.

I think all agents start off like all Pollies; trying to do the right thing, be honest and help their clients, but at the end of the day the dollar wins and they do what they need to to survive and compromise their integrity or get out.

Spot on!!

Those who go into real estate or politics with a view of being fair and helpful, seem to be shot down, denigrated and bullied out, by those who allegedly :)cool:) have lesser morality.

It's such a shame that money continues to rule this world. We seem to have forgotten that money is man-made and really has NO value, other then what humanity gives it.

Learn to lie ??

Wow, so much hatred out there for real estate agents. I think, to a degree, it's a bit unfair. There are alot of scumbag real estate agents, but there are some half decent ones too. I've encountered both in my hunts for property. They should never be relied upon 100%, you should always do your own research (and know what you want and stand your ground when selling) but to make out that they are all liars and completely selfish is a bit harsh in my opinion. There are bad sorts in any occupation, just maybe a higher proportion in real estate and other sales industries. How many tradesmen are on this forum? I have had more bad experiences with tradesmen, shall I put them all in a basket and say they are all useless and unreliable? :p

P.S. I'm not a real estate agent. :)

LOL aint that the truth.

like lawyers
99% of em, make the others look bad

It isn't a case of a few dodgy agents, its RE sales the system they are taught. I have been told they teach 'conditioning' tactics (among other dodgy practices) in the REI real estate course.

I have been told they teach 'conditioning' tactics (among other dodgy practices) in the REI real estate course.

Absolutely!
You've gotta learn the same stuff and beat them at their own game.
So that the agent ends up doing your bidding, ie "conditioning" and "crunching" the vendor for the best price.
It's a tough world out there.

$52k and upwards a year, was always being touted to me, as an achievable result within the first couple of years. Well.....:cool:

Hope this helps.

one of my mates worked as an RE salesman for about half a year (was one of his many plans on how to become rich with minimal effort) and the only house he sold was his dad's :rolleyes:

works as a cabbie now i think :D

one of my mates worked as an RE salesman for about half a year (was one of his many plans on how to become rich with minimal effort) and the only house he sold was his dad's :rolleyes:

works as a cabbie now i think :D

Ok that made me laugh. LOL

I think I had it wrong all this while, why did I waste my time in Uni?
Should have taken a tafe course and got onto the REA bandwagon. :D

Back