How to collect debt after an eviction

Hello,

I've received the eviction judgment and the lessee is finally out.
Now there are few unfinished businesses. I need to learn on how to collect the debt for nonpayment of rent. The problem is that I do not have the Social Security # and bank information of the ex-tenant. I can probably find that info through the 3 credit bureaus.

What is the most successful method to collect debt?
Mind you, this lessee is like a crook. His employees who came to pick up their belongings (vehicles) tells me that he is long gone (obviously lying) and missing.

Hi iKwak

As you are in America, perhaps www.creonline.com would be a more relevant forum for you.

Of course you are welcome here but Australian law and property dealings are quite different to the conditions you are working with.

Cheers

Kristine

Hey it's the States and iKwak is into drama so: Desert Eagle .50AE Deluxe Heavyweight Gas Blow Back semi automatic pistol. Black chrome. As used by the Agents in 'THE MATRIX' & by 'CHARLIE'S ANGELS'. Direct action.
Alternatively, send a platoon of Green Berets to locate and destroy the 'rat hole' where he is hiding.
Only said in jest, so children please do not attempt to do this at home. :D

But seriously, why waste time and resources following a deadbeat who is unlikely to have the $? Might as well forgive, put it down to experience and move on.

LPlate

iKwak

It's good to see you posting in the forum.

Your first post did look as if you were inclining towards spam. My apologies if, as a mod, I misunderstood your intent.

This forum is, as has been pointed out, primarily an Australian based forum. So any answers given cannot apply directly to your US circumstances.

Having said that, your actions must relate to the amount of the debt. Have a look at the amount of debt owing to you- and relate that back to the amount of work required to collect it. Don't try to collect debt for the sake of trying to get him to pay his dues- it ain't worth it. I've lost several months' rent from a tenant who was evicted. But it would not have been worth while me chasing that money. I took the opportunity to upgrade the place, and to collect a new higher rent. I haven't looked back.

G'day iKwak

Have you spoken with a debt collection agency?

Not sure how they operate in the US. I've just got involved in the video hire business and it's normal for them to send debts to the agencies even for pissy little amounts like $30. I guess this really only works if the person cares about their credit rating. But then again a lot of the debt collection agencies are run by the bikies.

Right now I've put a hold on the debt collectors as I won't to make a good impression on my customers, so I don't have a lot of experience with them yet, give it a year and I should be an expert.

Cheers
quoll

Hello guys,

I noticed "Latest kudos received" in the UserCP. Neato.
I did not contact the collection agency but I did manage to file a judgment lien and another lien through California Secretary of State. The liens accumulate interest toward the judgment amount.

Back