How to find a tenant ?

I'd like to turn my PPOR into a investment property. I am considering managing it myself.
What are effective ways to find a tenant ? Any websites do you recommend?
Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

QuickZebra

if u dont know how too rent it out, use an agent. you wont be able to manage it.

not being harsh, however agents are woth their weight in gold...

someone else will come along and explain why agents are better then self management...

goodluck,

Nath.

some agents offer a letting service.

A letting service is where the agent finds the tenant, completes the paper work (lease, condition report, bond forms etc) for a fee.

The fee is normally 2-4 weeks rent + a RTA fee (lease preparation fee) of around $30

Or you can advertise in your local paper, you may be able to advertise on re.com under SHARE.

Last edited:
If you don't have any idea what you are doing self management is a bad idea. You will end up with dope growers in your IP.

Nathan;508927 however agents are woth their weight in gold... [/QUOTE said:
fools gold????

Reading many of the posts here on property managers/agents I get the impression they are not worth their weight in lard!

No one looks after your own interests like yourself.... however that said, I agree that if the OP has to ask a question such as they did then they are better off using an agent/pm for the first one at least until they find their feet.

cheers

RightValue

And your point?
At least you can be sure they will be able to front the cash on rent day.

Or they might dedcide to leave the place in a shambles with holes cut in ceilings and wardrobes to accomodte electrical cables etc.... Happened to somene recently.

Depsite what some pple seem to think, not all drug dealers are smart enough to do what is thought of as obvious to not get caught out or respectful of others enough to not meet the obligations they signed up to..

Nothing against those who would liike drug growers/dealers in their houses, go for it, not sure you will convince me that is the preffered way to go

Im 1/2 wondering about using an agent to find my next tenants, but I dont have to think about that for a couple of months yet....and even then, only if the current tenants decide to leave (I've seen the place recently, and no they aren;t growing dope!)

Im 1/2 wondering about using an agent to find my next tenants, but I dont have to think about that for a couple of months yet....and even then, only if the current tenants decide to leave (I've seen the place recently, and no they aren;t growing dope!)

I once had an agent find me a tenant in return for a week's rent. They found me hooker/drug addict..... gee thanks :D.

After they split up, her boyfriend contacted us and told us she had been in prison for stabbing someone in the neck to see what it felt like...... double thanks :eek:.

Agents don't always get it right either :rolleyes:.

Perhaps they just wanted to fill our place quickly, make a quick week's rent and knew they would not have to deal with the fall out.

fools gold????

Reading many of the posts here on property managers/agents I get the impression they are not worth their weight in lard!

No one looks after your own interests like yourself.... however that said, I agree that if the OP has to ask a question such as they did then they are better off using an agent/pm for the first one at least until they find their feet.

cheers

RightValue

Absolutely. You have an expensive capital item here. You should not just hand it over to an agent and say OK mate it all yours now. You do need to manage the agent to ensure that they understand what you expect and ensure that they are doing what you pay them for.
Agents do give you a buffer between yourself and the tennant and get you away from all the petty annoying stuff. The more time you have to manage your investments the better. Pay the agent to manage the small stuff and concentrate on the big stuff like getting more properties.

Last edited:
Back