How to fix a crack in a wooden door jamb?

r as strata would take care of the common areas.
Nothing could be further from the truth.
I organise alot of it myself

You do not own the common property, it is not yours to repair.
It is the BC managers responsibility, if they are not capable of doing their job perhaps something needs to be done there.

Hi handyandy,
It's a unit in a small multi storey block.

Scott - my building post-dates the bca 1990 i guess, as it was built after that.

If it is multi story then I can't believe that it is only 20 years old as it does not have steel fire rated frames. I would have said that it dates back to early 70's or even before. Remember that the date is not when it was strata'd but actually constructed.

Saying that the miniscule glimpse of the bricks does indicate a 90's building.

As already indicated the split frame is a strata problem and if is is multi story full brick there is no further wood for longer screw so be screwed into.

Can you provide some more pics so that we can judge the exact type of building we are actually discussing?

Cheers

Scott - thanks. We get the mandatory annual fire inspection. So far, all good. So, I assume the door is compliant with whatever regulations.

HandyAndy - it's a small block. 3 storey walkup. Does this qualify as multi-storey? It's not a high rise with a lift, if that's what you mean.
What photos would you like? I'll take photos of whatever you want.
You must be very astute and experienced to be able to tell the type of building from a photo of the bricks.
I can't even tell the difference between double brick and brick veneer.
The building is double brick.
When I bought the building, I couldn't get any 'official' verification about the age of the block. I would have liked to get a document from the Department of Lands or whatever too. Surely these things must exist.
I think the building was built in the 90s.

DEC - hahahaha!!!! That's strata for you!!!!!
Here's how it works:
I note whatever needs to be repaired and report to the strata manager.
The strata manager emails the exec.
The exec usually says no.
I say why? It has to be done. I go and source the most economical method of repair.
I plead with the exec for it to be done.
Some day, I may have to book a mediation with the Department of Fair Trading. I am waiting for that day to come.

Here's my plan for the door. Let me know what you think:
I will get a handyman to try to fix the door with a few extra screws.
We are hoping to get the common areas, including that door, painted in the next 12 months. I am sourcing quotes for that.
When I get quotes, I'll ask the painters how much it costs to paint with and without that door. I am guessing the difference will be $200.
I'll source quotes to replace the door, jamb and frame. I am guessing this will cost $1000 minimum.
I will put this forward to strata and exec. I am guessing they will say no to replacing the door, since the existing one is fire-compliant as per the fire inspection company.
I will negotiate as best as I can.
I'll down some G&Ts, grit my teeth and hopefully be able to sell up and move on in the next couple years.

NB: Next fire inspection and AGM are mid next year.

Scott - thanks. We get the mandatory annual fire inspection. So far, all good. So, I assume the door is compliant with whatever regulations.

HandyAndy - it's a small block. 3 storey walkup. Does this qualify as multi-storey? It's not a high rise with a lift, if that's what you mean.
What photos would you like? I'll take photos of whatever you want.
You must be very astute and experienced to be able to tell the type of building from a photo of the bricks.
I can't even tell the difference between double brick and brick veneer.
The building is double brick.
When I bought the building, I couldn't get any 'official' verification about the age of the block. I would have liked to get a document from the Department of Lands or whatever too. Surely these things must exist.
I think the building was built in the 90s.

DEC - hahahaha!!!! That's strata for you!!!!!
Here's how it works:

I...down some G&Ts, grit my teeth and hopefully be able to sell up and move on in the next couple years.

NB: Next fire inspection and AGM are mid next year.

MGE - a photo of the door would be great - you mentioned a window in the door, the bricks look like dry pressed commons (Andy may beg to differ but we are only looking at about 10 mm wide), an external shot of the building will help with picking the age too. Dry pressed brick were common up to 1970's/extruded bricks beyond that.

3 storeys is classed as multi-storey.

Timber jambs are generally non-compliant - they burn.

Glazed doors stop just as much heat/flame as a bit of cardboard.

If you get a handyman, he should rehang the door after rescrewing the jam from the side. Reposition the hinges as well so the split timber won't be under stress.

The mere fact that the BC gets a fire inspection is a good start but it only complies with thr regs at the time of construction not to current standards - so if council served a fire order, there could be substantial upgrades.

so if council served a fire order, there could be substantial upgrades.

oh noooo.......

OK, Thanks. I will be attending the property to let the tradie in to fix a smashed window (guess who organised all this. If I hadn't attended the property to fix the lights no one would even have reported the smashed window. They would happily have lived with bits of glass jutting out, in a property where children live.) this week so I'll photograph what I can then.

By the way, what difference does it make how old the building is and what it's constructed of anyway?

By the way, what difference does it make how old the building is and what it's constructed of anyway?

How a building is constructed affects the way it burns, the smoke generated, how long it takes to fail (how long you are able to stay inside a unit) and most importantly, how you escape from the building.

[
doubt that door is fire code compliant
If compliant, only the single piece of jamb need be replaced
is the crack a result of impact, somebody try to knock it in?
the hinges are pushed back from the chisel outs

Hi Bob,
Thanks.
I don't know.
I think the property has just had alot of rough hands on it over the years.
I have seen some of the tenants jam the front door open.

Thanks, I will add your argument about the fire compliance to my research/ammo list.

(PS in regards to my HWS I will wait until the current tenant leaves, then get a tradie in to replace that anode. I'll post in that thread when I'm on it.)

Yes, they are compliant because all of the people ie one family are familiar with the property. When you get into complex properties like units which contain several dwellings, unrelated parties, multiple stories, higher fire loadings then the risk goes up enormously. The technology which goes into the building materials based on Australian Standards, international standards and codes of practice contribute toward the safety of these building products eg. fire rated plasterboard, lightweight construction methods, sound dampening etc.

Does the front door have a door closer?

MGE - a photo of the door would be great - you mentioned a window in the door, the bricks look like dry pressed commons (Andy may beg to differ but we are only looking at about 10 mm wide), an external shot of the building will help with picking the age too. Dry pressed brick were common up to 1970's/extruded bricks beyond that.

3 storeys is classed as multi-storey.

Timber jambs are generally non-compliant - they burn.

Glazed doors stop just as much heat/flame as a bit of cardboard.

If you get a handyman, he should rehang the door after rescrewing the jam from the side. Reposition the hinges as well so the split timber won't be under stress.

The mere fact that the BC gets a fire inspection is a good start but it only complies with thr regs at the time of construction not to current standards - so if council served a fire order, there could be substantial upgrades.
No problems SNM :eek:

The door points to the building having been built before the 1970's.

There are many blocks in Sydney that would be of similar construction with that have simply been ignored by councils in their fire rating upgrades. We had Fairfield Council go through Cabra with their compliance witch hunt. They did it by streets but only picked on the buildings that should have had the specific fire rating compliance. Thus only minor upgrades required.

For example where blocks were issued with compliance orders the doors and frames already complied. Upgrades were smoke alarms in hallways fire door on switch box. Confirm that top ceilings were firerated construction.

I have a block that was built late 60's and this is /was non compliant to current codes. Hollow front doors, no fire rated frames or door closers and even more worrying no fire rated ceilings for the top story.

This block is in the same street as those that had orders issued but was left out.

We did fire rate the ceiling regardless and had already upgraded the front doors to solid core previously (not fire doors but stairs are tiled) but the frames are still not firerated frames although they are steel. We simply upgraded the ceilings as we turned over tenants. This was a massive job and suspect that the council knows how massive a job it is and how many people would be affected and simply turn a blind eye.

Visited a block in Peakhurst in which a mate bought a unit. 60's block wood door frame hollow core door carpet on stairs etc. So no compliance whatsoever and not a council order in sight. Owned now for 10+ years and still no compliance. There are many similar blocks in these older areas.

Isolated examples but I think there appears to be a lack of fortitude in council circles to get these type of blocks compliant. Mind you simply the double brick and internal brick construction makes these inherently better unit blocks than the newer construction methods. The newer blocks with their 2/3 hour fire rated gyprock walls where whole floors are fire / smoke affected as per the recent Bankstown disaster where the whole floor and the ones above were non habitable as a consequence.

Cheers

Hi handy Andy,
Really? I'm so disappointed. I really thought it was a 90s block.
I will pm you the photos if you're interested in seeing them.
Baaah
Is there a way to check when buildings were built?
Surely a database must exist.

Hi Scott,
Thanks. I will write to the council then.
I'll post pics here when I've taken them

I don't think I would be telling them why you want to know, sometimes it is best to let sleeping dogs lie :eek:

In the 1970's I used to sell fire doors with metal frames and asbestos cores to all the builders complying with the new ordinance 70(?) regulations. Unit blocks were all brick or masonry with 1Hr rated fire doors on each unit.

Just thinking, we used a team of fire door hangers to hang hundreds of them, those guys were drilling holes in the compressed asbestos cores to fit door locks all day, I hope they are all still healthy..

Hi Scott No Mates, HandyAndy, Macca and AlmostBob,

Thank you so much for your input, it really helps as I am battling strata and the exec alone.
I tried to PM you some photos but I couldn't work out how to attach them. Are attachments not allowed for PMs?
If that doesn't work I'll stick them online somewhere and email you the link.
If anyone else wants to take a look please let me know and I'll PM you.

So sorry for the late reply, have been running around managing tradies and gathering quotes.
And to top it all off, I will have to do some of the gardening myself next week as the lowest quote I could find for gardening (which, IMO, is very reasonable) has been rejected by the exec. Our current gardener just about cuts the grass. I will have to hack, prune and kill weeds myself.

Hi mge

No need to pm us the pics. I am sure everyone who is reading this thread will want to see what the block looks like.

As such just post the photos in this thread.

Cheers

Hi everyone,
Here's a shot of the exterior.

An update on the situation:
I had a strata cleaner come in to do a quote. They do everything - maintenance, repairs, plumbing etc, in addition to cleaning.

The tradie who came to do the quote said the door will probably need to be replaced with a non-wooden (metal?) door. He estimated the cost would be about 2.5k.

There are some cracks in the common stairwell walls. He said these are cracks in the concrete slabs and the slabs need replacing. I would've thought they could just be spackled over, when we get round to doing the paint.
I googled this, and it seems a slab can cost a minimum of $5k each?

I tend to view such advice with a rather large rock of salt as tradies often have their own agenda. I'd source a few more quotes except.....(please see below).

At this point, I am a little over all this pointless running around, so to speak. There's no way strata will approve big repairs like replacing the door and slabs. We do have money in the sinking fund, and our levies go up each year. Strata is doggedly determined to retain every cent.

I subscribe to this thread so will reply when I get a chance, thanks. I may not be on SS as much for the next few weeks because I will be doing the strata gardening and going on holiday soon.

Attachments

• exterior 2.jpg
    exterior 2.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 44
Back