how to fix rising dampness

I noticed there is some flakes at the bottom of two walls. One near the balcony, one in bathroom. I was told that is because of the rising dampness.

I am wondering what will be the best way to fix this? I came across chemical DPC, which claims to be the easiest. Anyone has done this? How much does it cost? I have two patches about 150mm high x 600mm wide. I am not keen to rip the floor tiles and bathtub and rendering and place new DPC. Any input?:)

What I've done is find the cause , preventions better than cure !
My place was too close to the ground , no airflow. So I created a channel under that spot and changed the external covering to make sure any water could run out properly and the wall could breath as it's meant to. They'd actually made the drainage flow into under the house , really smart .
Then I laid down some crushed rock , that grey stuff , to help obsorb any future access or trapped moister .
Then I let the wall breath and dry our properly for a few wks and painted well.
It's never ever been a problem since.

Cheers.

best way to start is to be sure all water falls away from the area, then check the soil/fill is not to high for the wall, if these seem ok try digging as deep as you can , let it dry and seal with tar, etc damp sealer, good luck!;)

Yup, we have some nasty damp in one corner where the verandah gutter falls towards the house and the bottom of the gutter is rusted out. Its also eroded a rather big chunk of the stone front of the house (limestone).

Can't fix this one though, waiting for my old house to sell, which is taking an eternity. Then I get a new roof and new gutters.

Back