How to fix skirting boards to a steel frame?

Hi Guys,

As the thread title suggests, we're rapidly approaching that stage where I'll need to do skirts and archs for my new steel frame PPOR. Any ideas from the tradies out there?

Should I just use wing techs or is there a nailgun solution I could use. Screwing sounds like a lot of work, although I do own a damn good Dewalt 18v LiIon bushless driver so should be OK.

While I'm at it, has anyone done a 60/60/60 FRL external wall before and can recommend a solution for me? I've already put the custom orb cladding on to the steel frame before I spoke to the certifier and he reminded me it was supposed to be fire rated. CSR say I need to rip the cladding back off and put a 16mm firecheck water resistant gyprock sheet in under it then re-attach the cladding. I said it would work the same if I put it on the inside wall as its steel frame on a concrete slab with no in-wall insulation but their systems haven't been signed off that way so requires the cladding to come off and the gyprock sheets attached to the outside face. Bugga.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Thanks mate,

That's the sort of wing techs I was talking about above. They should be fine through the FJ pine mouldings I'm talking about. I tried them to fix my hardwood chamfer board but that didn't work. Thanks heaps for that link though as those look better than what I sourced!!

I'll try and find those black nails. All I could turn up so far was these guys:

http://www.bluesolutions.com.au/store/

Not endorsing, never heard of them, just found them on google.

Might be better served sticking with the 8g wing tech screws. That's how I fixed my 14mm MDF VJ sheets to the walls of the garage and it worked fine. Should be even better into pine.

Thanks,
Michael

Most of the chippies use black nails designed specifically for steel frame.The secret is to make sure you glue it,using liquid nails,gaps,wood /QUOTE]

screws are great to affix securely , but the good old liquid nails is your friend ,remember that for every hole (big or small) you create you will have to fill to a standard for paint

Like arms said...glue and screw.
best fix IMHO.;)

BTW...cant you get a gun that carries a magazine of these screws?

sorry I meant that screw are ok but when you have thousands of big holes to fill then they get a bit tedious having to fill them for painting over ,don't even think about staining them ,liquid nail the skirting to the board held in place with gun nails till the adhesive cures , little holes big blessing

Most of the chippies use black nails designed specifically for steel frame.The secret is to make sure you glue it,using liquid nails,gaps,wood /QUOTE]

screws are great to affix securely , but the good old liquid nails is your friend ,remember that for every hole (big or small) you create you will have to fill to a standard for paint
The secret to filling the screw holes is pre mix plaster,one coat flush,(No sanding) and another coat flush that needs a little sand,mirror finish.;)

Good point arms!!

I think my wife wanted to source a hardwood skirting board and architrave with the intent to stain them a dark colour. So its important to minise the size of those holes. Looks like it might be better to glue them and use a small brad if I can source one which works in steel frames.

Thanks,
Michael

As long as it is a dark stain,you shouldn't have to much problem hiding the holes with screws.Just add a dot of stain to the plaster hole first to match the timber and then final coats will match fine.

Back