how to 'pretend' you are not really interested in buying?

i've had this concern when dealing with RE Agents in that:

as soon as you talk to them and let them know you are interested, i.e.

please send me vendor statement in email
when can i arrange building inspection
etc etc

i can see them almost literally rubbing their hands together,

any tips for not giving the game away or strategies for putting them off? as i'm in Melbourne i mean mostly from a buyer's perspective buying at auction

Pretend you aren't interested in buying? :confused:

I am always saying to REAs I am interested in buying (and I buy as and when I can). I want them to mention to me any property that could interest me. I don't want a great property to slip under my radar just because I was playing "I'm too sexy to buy an IP".

The time to be aloof and cool is when you're in the middle of negotiating a contract, not before!

M

I agree.....why pretend? You can't if you are wanting answers. Finding out all you can without lettiing on too much about you is the key.

I don't see the point in all the game playing either.

From a sellers perspective: we put our PPOR on the market last year.

Those people that came back (via agent) nitpicking every little thing they could find - it just got our backs up.

Then there were those who loved our home - but had a strict budget.

Can you guess who we were more inclined to sell our home to?

Of course, the agent will try and get the most money they can out of a buyer (well if they are doing their job anyway), but you just need to be tough with your money, not your interest. If you have the fortitude to know what you want and what you are prepared to pay - you can leave all the game playing behind you and just walk away if the figures don't stack up.

Lily

yes i'm talking from the auction point of view, its all a game i suppose, different kettle of fish at private sale.

for example a property i'm looking at, i tell the re agent, yes i'm interested, before i know it the asking price has gone up 20K, if people going through the house let on they are not really interested, this would give the agent little to go on, so they would have the ammo to artifically inflate the price,

In the end the market will decide the price not the re agent, but they can influence it to a great degree and play the games with vendors and buyers alike.

Do like I do and tell 'em you're a house collector! You're not sure if this one is right for the collection till you've accessed the options, if it is you'll be at the auction.

Depends on the agent with me. I usually play it cool but then again I've made quite a few contacts by being honest and open. Even though they theoretically work for the vendor, they like buyers better, especially ones who buy regularly and with ease!!

Do like I do and tell 'em you're a house collector! You're not sure if this one is right for the collection till you've accessed the options, if it is you'll be at the auction.

Depends on the agent with me. I usually play it cool but then again I've made quite a few contacts by being honest and open. Even though they theoretically work for the vendor, they like buyers better, especially ones who buy regularly and with ease!!

excellent i like that, i'll have to try and remember it next time,

unfortunately i'm not in the same category you mentioned in you 2nd paragraph there

Youve got it wrong .
You are interested in buying, but any good house is ok.

Not necessarily the one you want . Dont just see 1 agent at a time.
If you are not interrested in buying why would an agent put in any effort .

Look at several houses and be equaly interested in 3 or 4 knowing the one you want.
Ask a set of proforma questions .
if you show specific interest in 1 house only, or too much interest , you are tipping your hand. Maybe even make offers on a few houses.
Time and the number of properties available are on your side

I agree with ggumpshots. Nothing wrong with being interested in a property and letting the agent know that. Just have a top price in mind and walk away if that price isn't accepted.
Alex

Yep;
being up front is the way to go; especially with buying investments.
I give the agent a set criteria of what I want and let them go find them and report back, and when I make enquiries about specific properties I have seen I let them know I can buy if the criteria I have works for it.
They know you aren't playing games and wasting everyone's time, and will try harder.

Mind you; you need to research the area a bit first so you know that what you want actually exists in that area. For example; don't ask them to find you a cfp property in inner-city Melb, or a unit under $200k in Brighton.

yes, when buying or bidding on a property thats going to be auctioned i think its a mistake to be over enthusiastic about the property beforehand, one can be upfront with the agent without giving away your hand. the best responce is likely along the lines of yes, if the numbers are right i'm interested.

that is funny, I have never heard it before!
As an agent, I assume the fact that you are viewing the property at all means you are interested. I have seen over the years people try different strategies and "tricks" to not show their hand to the agent...but the agent doesn't decide if your offer is acceptable, the seller does.
Careful you dont "pretend" your way out of a good deal..
If I ask a client if they are interested, and they give less than enthusiastic answers, I will spend less time following them up and more time with the more enthusiastic, obviously well interested parties...
just my thoughts.

Cheers.

.....as soon as you talk to them and let them know you are interested,..........I can see them almost literally rubbing their hands together
Sure they are. Because you have what they want.

Sounds like the issue isn't being seen to be interested. It is being confident to negotiate your price or walk.

You have what they want - buying power.

They don't *really* have what you want. Because you have a check list that can be satisfied by another IP just as easily.

them: so are you interested?
me: i'm really interested in this area, yes

doesn't tip you as keen on the house per se but enough to keep you in the loop and they will often mention other houses on their books

any tips for not giving the game away or strategies for putting them off? as i'm in Melbourne i mean mostly from a buyer's perspective buying at auction
Play the game backwards,tell them up front you have the money in place and you only intend to make one offer on paper,why waste time playing mindgames as most not all R-A will be able to spot the person with money,then act calm,ask only the questions that apply to the property,and know everything about the property prior to walking in the door,that way when the agent starts playing the game,if they lie to me more then three times about the property I walk,and start again..willair..IMHO..

On the other hand, I saw a place over the weekend that was listed on Friday, and the thing went under contract over the weekend.

Sometimes you have to be quick.
Alex

Back