How to tell if a tank is subject to water restrictions?

Are there any obvious outward signs as to whether a plumbed water tank with a mains back up is subject to restrictions? This could surely make a difference to the value of the house, not to mention being necessary knowledge in order to avoid a fine. I am surprised there isn't more info on it, I have googled a fair bit.

I am aware that (for example in QLD, according to QLD water commision) any tank that operates a trickle top up system is subject to restrictions. So any external tap from the tank couldn't be used on your garden, except in accordance with restrictions. However, if the tank has an automatic switching valve which diverts to the interior of the house only, the external tap could be used to water your garden.

What I am confused about is how to tell which type the tank is.

The house was built in the last 12 months and I assume the builder used the cheapest possible method of installing the tanks.

And yes, obviously I could get a plumber in to check but I would rather avoid it if there is some obvious external signs.

Thanks

I'm not an expert but live 100% on tank water. Above ground tanks usually fill from the top and empty via the bottom. I would imagine if it has a town water top up there should be some form of pipe leading to the strainer (filling area) at the top of the tank.

Kinga

Thanks for the tip kinga, I can't see any such pipe although I am going off some photos and memory here as I don't live near the IP.

I called the council and they couldn't help with my question although suggested I might try a different section later.

Given the difficulty of knowing the tank type (for the average person), I imagine it would be fairly difficult to issue a fine for breach of water restrictions. For example the person issuing the fine would have to be able to determine what type of tank it was. Also, I can't see a tenant being issued with a fine for not knowing what type of tank their landlord installed. Fortunately, landlords aren't yet responsible for ensuring their tenant's comply with water restrictions. Although as I learned today, in QLD if the IP is not fitted with water efficient devices the landlord will be responsible for explaining tenant's high water usage and paying any fines for excessive water use.

Hubby just informed me the town water pipe could be in the bottom of the tank. I forget that town water has pressure. But anyway there has to be a pipe in and a pipe out. If it is just tank water it falls onto your roof and then via downpipes into the top of the tank. I assume the tank is on a slab and therefore will be really easy to see. If it is underground (even partially) you will need to check with council.

Kinga

ALL plumbed tanks subject to restrictions

Thanks Kinga, the advice I have from council now is that all tanks which can be used for toilets etc are subject to water restrictions no matter what the type. So even if the external tap runs dry when the tank is empty, meaning that it is not possible for town water to be used on your gardens, you still can't use the water on your gardens because they want you to use all the tank water for your toilets etc.

This contradicts the QLD water commision web site and also the letter that they sent me, which clearly states that some types of plumbed tanks are not subject to water restrictions.

This also contradicts what my builder told me (not that I'd really believe the builder anyway as it wasn't in writing).

It makes it hard to do the right thing with all this conflicting information. Can anyone clarify?

Back