How to write a letter to canvas other unit owners/council of owners.

Hello, We live in a large apartment complex in a ground floor apartment. The 2nd bedroom faces West onto a courtyard through sliding doors. These doors get ALOT of heat and light here in WA and we are looking at getting roller shutters to help with both insulation and blockout. It would be installed in the outer recess of the window/doors and in the same color as the apartment brick. But I have been told this requires approval as it effects the 'look' of the exterior of the complex.

I have presented a short email to the strata company who then took the request to the Council Of Owners. The Strata company said that I would have to present more information, photos and then wait until the AGM in 11mths. OR that I could canvas 25% of the owners and request an emergency meeting.

My questions are;

1) What am I asking the other owners to do in my letter? Do I ask them if they approve or not and email this response back to me? Or does it not matter whether they approve at this point, just that I contacted them telling them that I would like to do 'such and such' to my apartment.

2) Once I have sent out the letters with proof of the 25%, what do I do then? Contact the Strata company with the proof of sent letters, then what happens?

3) Does anyone have any advice on what to write/say in this canvas letter?? Please help, I dont want to sound stupid and would really like approval for this heat/sun problem in this bedroom. Blockout curtains just dont cut the mustard and are expensive that need replacing too often (given that we will also rent this property out in the future).

Thank you in advance for your time :)

The strata company should be able to supply you with a list of the owners and their addresses.

Write to the owners with sufficient information (pictures are really helpful) so that they might be able to make an informed decision. Include a stamped envelope and a form whereby they can indicate their approval or otherwise.

Chances are few will be returned so I would send to all owners. Keep their responses as proof. Once you have 25% approving the change contact the strata company to arrange an extra -ordinary meeting. This can be done via mail.

As far as I'm aware you will need >50% of owners to approve before you will be able to proceed. I would also expect that a rear courtyard has a much better chance of approval especially if shrubbery is able to hide the shutters or you have exclusive use of the yard.

Cheers,
A.

Back