How uselessly pathetic was that budget?

I hate with a passion these cash handouts that end up at Harvey Norman or the local pub.Its a vote grab and most likely a cash bonus for short lived items.

I have a suspicion that the cash handouts won't improve Labor's chances at all in the election. People have simply stopped listening to this bumbling circus that we have for a Government.

I am living comfortably but far from wealthy. I do not want hand outs. I do not want one off cash grabs here and there.
I want better roads. I want infrastructure that improves for the future and provides jobs. Dams,bridges,rail,services. I hate with a passion these cash handouts that end up at Harvey Norman or the local pub.Its a vote grab and most likely a cash bonus for short lived items.

oh and im 3 cents better off by the online calculator.
I will happily hand back my 3 cents if they fix the pothole on the way to work !!!!

+1

What I find so hypocritical about this budget is they say it is typical labour budget helping out people in difficulty. On one hand they give out free cash handouts to people who by world standards would be considered fairly well off but on the other hand they reduce their assistance (in % terms rather than $ terms) to neighbouring poor countries whose citizens would probably benefit more than middleclass Australians IMHO. A few hundred dollar handout would hardly change ppl's life here..but I think it would make a big difference to a citizen of a poor country.

But I guess we all know the real reasons is to please the voting population and buy some votes.

Cheers,
Oracle.

How is the priority policies shaping up under this government?

$1.5 billion budget surplus vs impact of Carbon Tax:

"The government will make the necessary cuts by purchasing certified emissions offsets on the international market, including shares in schemes to lock up tropical rainforests in countries like Papua New Guinea. Under an anticipated $37 a tonne carbon price, about $3.7 billion a year would be funneled offshore by 2020."
Source: The Australian | 10/July/2011

"Treasury’s forecast of a carbon price of $131 by 2050 means that Australia will be putting $57 billion in today’s dollar terms into the hands of foreign clean energy schemes to reach Australia’s own abatement target."
Source: The Daily Telegraph | July/14/2011

"Only 25 per cent of emissions reduction comes from the tax itself and that by 2020 we’ll be buying 100 million tonnes from offshore, including basically $3.5 billion going offshore every year ,and now we know from today’s papers that that will rise to an offshore purchase of $57 billion in 2010 terms by 2050."
Source: Greg hunt | 14/July/2011

And the leakages (haemorrhages) to the Australian economy continues through the refugee asylum farce, etc.
:eek::eek:

i had this same complaint with a friend back when the first $900 was rolled out.
I said i would prefer they spend the cash on fixing roads.
my mate said " no way this is going to pay for some new rims on my car"
he bought the rims and a week later stuffed one driving through a huge pothole.

Yes i laughed at him.

Its sad Lizzie, that you say that just because its a Labor budget. It could have been the best budget of all time and you still would have said its 'uselessly pathetic'. I think a lot of posts on here are going the same way.

Some people just have to get their negative whinge in for the day.

In your opinion, what would have made it a good budget?

here's a snippet of what i'm seeing on FB this morning >

"...It annoys me that the government calls a person on $250k a high income earner. Clive Palmer, Gina Rhinehart, Ralph Norris, Thérèse Rein, Malcolm Turnbull and Sue Morphet are high income earners. $250k is a hospital doctor that's busted his or her hump to get where they are and racked up a mega HECS debt in the process, or a miner who sacrifices 2/3's of their family life to earn decent money. It's not wealth redistribution to those who need it more. It's robbing the upper middle class to give to the low income earners. High income earners don't feel a thing. #Wayneswansagimunguspenoid..."

"...Who is the labor govt trying to kid.... When was the last time the labour govt produced a surplus... Even when they have had healthy surplus budgets to start with.... Liberals dont create new carbon or mining taxes to get budgets back into surplus each time they pick up the pieces from the labor govt super spending habits...! You want to drive high earners and big businesses out of this country.... Carry on! I wouldn't recommend biting the hand that feeds..."

"...Federal Budget killing Aussie companies and businesses. Time to go Mr Swan...."

"...Budget '12 Mmmmm..."

"...Typical lying labour union running this country, going back on your word about tax cuts for companies. Not all companies are multimillion dollar organisations, it’s called small business. You are absolutely useless, ludicrous, senseless, and ill-advised party this country has ever had. We don’t have an industry other than mining that is world class, so look after small business. So frustrated!..."

ever thought it's just you in the minority, here?

How is the priority policies shaping up under this government?

$1.5 billion budget surplus vs impact of Carbon Tax:

"The government will make the necessary cuts by purchasing certified emissions offsets on the international market, including shares in schemes to lock up tropical rainforests in countries like Papua New Guinea. Under an anticipated $37 a tonne carbon price, about $3.7 billion a year would be funneled offshore by 2020."
Source: The Australian | 10/July/2011

"Treasury’s forecast of a carbon price of $131 by 2050 means that Australia will be putting $57 billion in today’s dollar terms into the hands of foreign clean energy schemes to reach Australia’s own abatement target."
Source: The Daily Telegraph | July/14/2011

"Only 25 per cent of emissions reduction comes from the tax itself and that by 2020 we’ll be buying 100 million tonnes from offshore, including basically $3.5 billion going offshore every year ,and now we know from today’s papers that that will rise to an offshore purchase of $57 billion in 2010 terms by 2050."
Source: Greg hunt | 14/July/2011

And the leakages (haemorrhages) to the Australian economy continues through the refugee asylum farce, etc.
:eek::eek:

kudos - plusminimum10postcharachterlimit

A social security advocate this morning welcomed the "clamp down on trusts".

There are a lot trust users here and thought it would be mentioned by now. Have you missed it, or didn't I hear right?

Its sad Lizzie, that you say that just because its a Labor budget. It could have been the best budget of all time and you still would have said its 'uselessly pathetic'. I think a lot of posts on here are going the same way.

Some people just have to get their negative whinge in for the day.

In your opinion, what would have made it a good budget?
I reckon Mr Swan did a good job,although attention is never focused on the direct or non direct balance of payments aspects of overseas investments that?? play on the end of day balance sheets and the way Mr Swan-Miss Gillard
read them..

I think it's fair to say most voters are waiting with their baseball bats to get this mob out. Nothing else matters.

That's how I feel. By the time it is meant to matter, the Libs will get in and we will have a new budget that affects us.

Ironically, it this was not the case I would be saying some aspects made sense:
  • raising the tax free threshold raises productivity by encouraging mums back on the workforce. If a 1M mums all work only 1 extra day a week you have significant factor.
  • taking single mum allowance away moving to the lower DOLE when the child is aged 8 rather than 16 discourages career welfare
but these are paid for by rubbery figures so whether they can be afforded is another thing.

On the down side:

The removal of the 1% business tax is anti growth. It encourages businesses to spend every cent. Especially with the new deprecation rates for cars, etc...

Frankly, I am surprised Labor did not "salt the earth" for the Libs. Give heaps and cut hard and then let then work out how to pay for it without more taxes.

Overall, for us here, interest rates have nowhere to go but lower IMO. That is only thing that may revive our economy.

My 2 cents, Peter 14.7

Removal of CGT discount for non-residents
The Government will remove the 50 per cent capital gains tax (CGT) discount for non-residents on capital gains accrued after 7:30pm (AEST) 8 May 2012. The CGT discount will continue to be available for capital gains accrued prior to this time where non-residents can then choose to obtain a market valuation for assets as at 8 May 2012.

This rule will largely impact non-residents individuals holding interests in Australian real property.

It may also have wider implications for individuals departing Australia who hold CGT assets which are not Australian property, for example, Australian and foreign equities. While the CGT deemed disposal rule applies to such assets at the time an individual becomes a non-resident, a choice can be made to disregard the deemed disposal and treat the assets as “taxable Australian property”. It is not known how this proposed rule will interact with the CGT deemed disposal choice rule.
http://www.pwc.com.au/tax/federal-budget/2012/international-tax.htm

Just checked a couple of calculators in the paper and based on the tax cuts I will be $3 per year better off next FY from tax cuts, but over $600 worse off from the impact of the carbon tax.

Why do we bother working to get ahead when these muppets in power decide it is better to take from those who try to get ahead and give to those who don't give a rats ar$e.

What a pity we have to wait 12 months to vote because I have my baseball bat out now and am practising a fly ball over the fence.

I thought it was quite a good budget considering the world economic environment right now. And no, you didnt say anything about it being a Labor budget, but i know if it was a Liberal one. You wouldnt have called it 'uselessly pathetic'

I am assuming - as we don't get (and won't get) anything from the government at all we will be the same ... until carbon tax hits.

Evand ... Did I say anything about it being a Labor budget?

I don't care who's budget it was - it was just a tinkering at the edges/paying a little "bribe" here and there/no forward moving substance/no economy strengthening budget that did nothing.

What is this "if there is any criticism" one must therefore be anti-Labor?

A technical recession is 2 quarters of negative growth. So you're wrong. Unless you have a different definition.

A technical recession is 2 quarters of negative growth. So you're wrong. Unless you have a different definition.

I may be technically wrong Evan (and nice to see you picking up on technicalities but glossing over the actual content of the post), but there is no doubting that the economy is rat**** and the policies that this Government are implementing are simply making it worse.

Now to make it worse they spew out another budget which again breaks earlier promises and takes from those who try to get ahead to pass onto those who don't.

We all know how you feel when it comes to politics Evan but face the facts - the majority of Australians cannot wait to get rid of the current Government, and this budget is simply to buy votes in a pathetic bid to stay in power.

Luckily enough from what I am seeing most people can now see through the lies and charades.

so lets see - "jobsjobsjobs" has turned into no support for the people providing the employment and more taxes.

awesome.jpg

Back