I call upon your fountain of knowledge

Hi all

Tonight I went to the BIG meeting in Brisbane and listened to Peter Spann. He spoke about land banking. During the night he made reference to a fellow by the name of Harry Tiberdorf or something similar. Apparently he has a net worth of 2 billion +. Has anyone else heard of this guy and if so are you able to give me the correct spelling of his surname?

thanks

Hi all

Tonight I went to the BIG meeting in Brisbane and listened to Peter Spann. He spoke about land banking. During the night he made reference to a fellow by the name of Harry Tiberdorf or something similar. Apparently he has a net worth of 2 billion +. Has anyone else heard of this guy and if so are you able to give me the correct spelling of his surname?

thanks

Harry Triguboff, chairman of Meriton.
Alex

so what pearls of wisdom did Mr. I love Ferrraris and Russian blondes have to impart tonight..........

hope you realise this guy sustains his lifestyle by lecturing to the highly naive......

Reactions: GMG
I’ve heard Peter Spann speak once before. It was mostly the same. He talks about the importance of land banking, buying right, creating the profit with paperwork (DA) and selling. Cash is king. He suggested we ask ourselves two important questions;

What do the major players do to make their millions?

Can I emulate it?

He makes a point when he suggests that if you want to create major wealth (70Million) you would have a very difficult time dealing with the management if it was in residential property. 200 or so IP's to control would be a challenge even for the best of us.

I’ve heard Peter Spann speak once before. It was mostly the same. He talks about the importance of land banking, buying right, creating the profit with paperwork (DA) and selling. Cash is king. He suggested we ask ourselves two important questions;

Can I emulate it?
I sat down in the back row myself tonight,and what WGB said is about right
AS yourself what the big boys

He makes a point when he suggests that if you want to create major wealth (70Million) you would have a very difficult time dealing with the management if it was in residential property. 200 or so IP's to control would be a challenge even for the best of us.
I sat in the back row of seats,it was a interesting night,apart from hearing
Harry,s name,Bill Gates,Warren Buffett,and several other big money names
he may have said over 20 times What are the Big Boys doing,or BIG ladies doing and try and copy what they do,buy upmarket riverfront southside properties split the block,DA,have the plans in place,then build or resell..
There was no talk on Interest Rates,the share market,property prices,China,India,or problems with the Sub Prime mess in the US-UK?? only that property prices double every 8 too 10 years,maybe he did not have the time to go into everything, but like i said it was interesting..
Did not see any Russian Blondes,or Ferraris,maybe the car had a flat battery..willair..

I saw him in Sept 06 and he said that his net worth was around the 60 million. Given that he has a lot of weight in the share market I was suprised to hear him say that his net worth is now 70 million.

I was discussing this with a friend on the way and I thought that if he still had around the 60 million he would have been doing real well.

I saw him in Sept 06 and he said that his net worth was around the 60 million. Given that he has a lot of weight in the share market I was suprised to hear him say that his net worth is now 70 million.

I was discussing this with a friend on the way and I thought that if he still had around the 60 million he would have been doing real well.

Why do you say that?

The all ords was about 5000 in Sept 06, At about 5700 now, so he would have made about 14% growth, plus dividends, by just having an equal weighting in the index.

http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=^AORD&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

If he was resource heavy, say BHP, RIO, WPL, he could have made a 50% gain or more.
Chart of BHP,...
http://au.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BHP.AX&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

See ya's.

Last edited:
hi all
land banking
great idea one little problem with it.
time
first you have to have the money to buy and sit and wait (if raw nothing on it land).
and if there is something on it then you get a bit of income. but still you wait.
yes value can change as an area changes as people move into an area so the value moves.
is this the way you develop.
sorry no
harry does not land bank.
he buys large blocks in areas that no one else wants to buy into then either rezones or da and then constructs thats not land banking.
thats timing his developments.
to do land banking you need around the 3 mil mark to make it work.
you land bank, da sub divide,sell off the lots and you are out of there thats land banking.
profitable
yes
10 to 1 is the norm
so your 3 mil becomes 30 mil.
risky
hell yes
as you won't get many lenders that will land bank and if the do its at 50% max.
as for Harry,s name,Bill Gates,Warren Buffett, land banking
no
I have a couple of experts that landbank and they do very well doing it and and yes they make money but its there own money.
so just like land banking to get there you have to come up with alot of cash to start.
thats not to say its not a good idea.
but to start out doing it a very difficult area but that just my view.
buy divide sell off isn't land banking
buy hold divide and sell off is big difference and lots of difference in costs.

I’ve heard Peter Spann speak once before. It was mostly the same. He talks about the importance of land banking, buying right, creating the profit with paperwork (DA) and selling. Cash is king.
Another way of summarising: buy as much of the "brown and green stuff" (that's land apparently) as you can afford, maximise the cashflow from the buildings that sit on it to subsidise holding (whilst remembering the buildings only have value for generating cashflow; they're depreciating assets), hold until you can add value by getting the land re-zoned/adapted for higher use. ie Change from industrial to residential, from low density residential to medium or high density residential etc.

He also stressed the importance of knowing how you're going to take profits (exit plan).
He suggested we ask ourselves two important questions;

Can I emulate it?
Yes, that's what I heard, too. I must say that I didn't agree with him that if the answer is "no" to the second question, then you should get out of that industry.

He gave the example that he was earning about $5M per year doing copywriting for Yellow Pages ads for pharmacists around the country, and it was easy money. He said that he asked himself how the big players make money in that industry (pharmaceuticals), and the answer was manufacturing drugs, and he couldn't afford (and didn't want to) get into the drug manufacturing business, so he decided to get out of the industry. :confused:

Now, I would agree with Peter that it's important to know where the big money in your industry is, but I don't agree that you need to emulate the major players or get out of it. If you can make $5M in a niche without working very hard, why on EARTH would you not continue to do that rather than attempt to take on the big guys with much deeper pockets than you? Why not start copywriting for the drug manufacturers as well? If you had no scope for increasing your profits and $5M per year wasn't enough for you, then fair enough, but there was no indication in his story that this business couldn't have continued to thrive, with little involvement from him. And he could still have gone on to do other things, if he wanted more profits.

I'm sure that there were perfectly good reasons for Peter to get out of copywriting, but I don't think this particular example demonstrated his point at all. There may be very good examples of his principle, but this story wasn't one of them, IMO.

And he engaged in a tactic (often used by a certain type of public speaker) which bugs me... he asks the audience "which is right, A or B?" Of course, initially nobody answers. Then he says "oh you have to make a choice, which is it A or B?" then asks for shows of hands. So we all play the stupid game and put up our hands to one of the options so that we can keep this thing moving, then he says "you're all wrong the answer is C" :rolleyes: It's just silly.

If I had $60 or $70 mill, I wouln't need a lot of money anymore, so I wouldn't need to give investment lectures and charge for them.

I'd either not do them and play golf, or go skiing every day, or sailing, or scuba diving, or more travelling etc.

I'd do the lectures for free.

Reactions: GMG
buy divide sell off isn't land banking
buy hold divide and sell off is big difference and lots of difference in costs.
Lawrence, in fairness to Peter I believe he was talking about "buy divide sell" as a way of building up some equity that may lead you to the wealth to enable you to land bank later. Kind of like "land banking for beginners". As you quite rightly say, if you need $3M to get into the game (and that's exactly the figure he used, too, incidentally) then I think he rightly recognised that few people would have been able to get into that game today, and he was trying to make his speech relevant to we ordinary folk by giving us smaller scale examples that we could relate to.

I'd do the lectures for free.
He has information that some people are willing to pay to hear. So he takes advantage of that; he spoke last night in exchange for a donation to his charity.

I very much doubt that more than a tiny portion of his wealth comes from speaking or education (though I may be mistaken).

And I wonder how many managed funds was he trying to flog this time ?
It sustains his automated business model.
He does not lecture out of kindness and caring for the masses.
It is just a clever way of marketing himself and his business, and getting new blood (clients) to pay for his lifestyle.

Remember he is a psychologist as well and a very clever marketeer (manipulator).
I take his "pearls of wisdom" with massive grains of salt these days.

And unless he is a complete workaholic suffering from "I want more" and "nothing is ever enough", why the torturous schedule of weeks of "investors updates"?
More fresh blood to make money for him. Sign the newbies up, lump them with managed funds that keep paying huge trailing comissions to the business. And also sell the masses some sexy new products that are hard to understand but are presented with lovely glossy brochures with colourfull and big future forecasts.

Oh, and don't forget to also burden these new gullibles with some overpriced and unneccessary insurances that will never pay out if the need arises.

The best gift I gave myself was to stop attending his sales pitches aka investors updates, and educate myself.

If I had $60 or $70 mill, I wouln't need a lot of money anymore, so I wouldn't need to give investment lectures and charge for them.

Did he say he had 60 or 70 Mill in assets ? or 60-70mill networth?

I suspect a few forumites might have around $60-70 mill in assets?

BTW it's definitely NOT me.

Aaron

I thought it was an excellent talk, he basically ad libs and doesn't power point you to death ..so.. I can understand the less than convincing example that OzPerp cited.. That sounded like a superb little niche he was in, but if you want to be a billionaire then you need to look at the big boys actions I guess. A few million a year won't build you many Pelorus yachts.

With Peter it's very much a case of do and watch what he does closely, but not always what he says for my own money and in my own not humble opinion.

Peter admitted following his own advice some years ago with his biz FF; which had been realigned to getting in the MF biz as that's where the big boyz make their mash, and we all know in what order people get rich in that game, little retail investor being at the end of a very long queue populated with conflict of interest, poor management and fees and ..cough.. fees on fees. None of this was discussed at the BIG meeting to be fair, it was all an attitude and direction type talk, which I have mentioned was excellent.

Also buying a Prius is going to make nechevo (Russian word for nothing) difference to the world when you spend half your year in the gold lounge at airports... Still every little bit helps I guess.

Is it really nescessary to make 500k a year to live well in Brisbane? It's an expensive city, I have been thinking about that line a bit. 100k certainly doesn't spread very far so perhaps 500k is not an unfair estimate!? Thoughts?

I made 6 pages of notes and got some new ideas that might one day make me a lot of money, can't beat that for a $15 entry fee.

Did he say he had 60 or 70 Mill in assets ? or 60-70mill networth?

I suspect a few forumites might have around $60-70 mill in assets?

BTW it's definitely NOT me.

Aaron
72M NW @ 42 years of age. Not bad for a checkout chick eh?

And he once again mentioned how he was building his first fortune during the recession we had to have, a nice lesson for the doom n gloomers I reckon.

He has information that some people are willing to pay to hear. So he takes advantage of that; he spoke last night in exchange for a donation to his charity.

I very much doubt that more than a tiny portion of his wealth comes from speaking or education (though I may be mistaken).
OzPerp more on the example of getting out of a multi million dollar business simply because you can't make a billion.

Peter continually mentions how his 'middle class' mindset has held him back, much better to have been poor with a chip on his shoulder perhaps. The titans of wealth are always mentioned in his talks and he has mentioned how he hasn't done that well compared to the possibilities. Yet his NW has gone according to himself from about 30M to 70M since I have listened to him speak in public.

Perhaps at some point you need to realise you can never catch a shadow if you feel like you have under performed and are earning millions a year. Want to be unhappy with 100M? Yearn the billionaire lifestyle.

Back