I hate palm trees!!!!

We have/had a Date Palm alongside our path which we continually had to duck under. I came home the other day and hubby is trimming the branches along the path. He asked if he should get the chainsaw and just cut it off. I said he would need welding gloves, long sleeved shirt and a motorbike helmet so he didn't get ripped to bits by the spikes. So he trundles up the back to the shed. Next thing the tractor appears, chain rapped around the palm and it is out in 2 mins flat. Best idea yet.

Kinga

Sell em off Sunfish! All the palm trees in Adelaide get shipped up to QLD, surely they wouldn't mind picking up some local ones! :D

Ever been to Pt Douglas? The way into Skaise's resort is lined with hundreds of oil palms. They really look the part, as if they had been there forever. But he just bought a plantation and transplanted them.

Digging up mature trees as a one-off (in clay, in the city) doesn't really work though. The pros grow them in rows in river loam.

This thread doesn't make me feel good. Hubby just bought 3 cocos palms on the weekend to put into our backyard behind the pool.

You could have posted this topic last week!! :p

Cocos are banned as a noxious weed in our area. No one grows them intentionally but the birds or bats spread them around. Also called Queen Palm.

Which one is the cocos? There's a palm tree in the next town to me which looks to be well over 15m high (I'm a bad judge of height, it is taller than a very old two storey institute, the sort with crazy high ceilings) and the thing drops seeds, so there are billions of tiny palm trees all up and down the footpath for quite a long distance either side of the tree, which must be hell to clean up. It basically looks like a 2 storey lamppost with a tiny tuft on top. Sounds bad so I figure it might be the sort you're complaining about?

ahh those nice little bats love our palms so not only do we have to clean up after the palms we have bat poop too!

I told hubby about this thread but he has no intention of taking them out now. *sigh*

Just wait a couple of years until they get lots & lots of seeds dropping which start to ferment on the ground.
We had about 8 of these palms & never realsied we had to pick up the seeds - we just left them where they fell on the garden. That is until the flies moved in & the dog started eating the seeds & became very very sick.

Ended up paying someone to remove all of them & we now have no smelly seeds around and no fronds to regularly take to the dump!

Cheers
Stella

Jodie, quite agree with Stella - we had a similar situation around our pool! The fermenting fruits are really rank, and the goo from bat poo in a pool is really tacky; this goo will also strip paint from a car.

You can't rake them, compost them, eat them - the only method of collection is one by one into a bucket!:( I even tried placing a wheelbarrow under the fruit bunch, but as each fruit fell, it hit the barrow tray and bounced right out!!

A friend and I got them down with a chain saw, but the fibrous material bluntened 2 chains in the process. A garden shop near us once advised that the best view of a cocos palm is going through the mulcher!! :D

I hate eucalyptus. Our neighbour has a huge one right next to our fence. Most of it overhangs our garden. It is maybe 30 metres tall. We have a pool and lawn. Yesterday after a northerly our back yard was covered in crap from their tree. The swimming pool looked like a sewer pit with a scum layer of fibres from the 'flowers' and leaves and sticks on the bottom. Sticks all over the lawn. Throughout the year we have a sequence of bark peeling off (now until Christmas). Leaves, all the time. The nuts - making it impossible to walk on the lawn barefoot. All of these things completely jam the pool filter. It was so bad yesterday I asked them if I could remove all the limbs overhanging our fence line. Maybe they might even remove it themselves. I live in hope!

My neighbour had an awful pine tree which halfway across my yard. Wouldn't do a thing about it till he found some termites in it. LOL

How do you convince your neighbour he has termites?

I hate eucalyptus. Our neighbour has a huge one right next to our fence. Most of it overhangs our garden. It is maybe 30 metres tall. We have a pool and lawn. Yesterday after a northerly our back yard was covered in crap from their tree. The swimming pool looked like a sewer pit with a scum layer of fibres from the 'flowers' and leaves and sticks on the bottom. Sticks all over the lawn. Throughout the year we have a sequence of bark peeling off (now until Christmas). Leaves, all the time. The nuts - making it impossible to walk on the lawn barefoot. All of these things completely jam the pool filter. It was so bad yesterday I asked them if I could remove all the limbs overhanging our fence line. Maybe they might even remove it themselves. I live in hope!

I would imagine your gutters are chocker block full of debris as well.
What hangs over you fence is yours.
You should be able to cut it back to fence level.
Check with your council and get a tree lopper in to look at the job as well you never know he may find the tree has dangerous limbs or some tree disease and the whole tree may have to be removed under the duty of care rule.
If you follow the rules you will find it a lot easier to deal with your neighbours. You should also ask your neighbours if they have enough insurance to cover your property if the tree ever falls or looses a large limb and causes damage to your property. This is usually enough to scare them into a bit of action:D
cheers
yadreamin

You should also ask your neighbours if they have enough insurance to cover your property if the tree ever falls or looses a large limb and causes damage to your property. This is usually enough to scare them into a bit of action:D
How do you convince your neighbour he has termites?

Hmm, especially if we found TERMITES in a branch that fell into our yard! And broke, our, um gnome when it fell! Ah, shed roof - that is right next to it! Yep, I have a plan! Thanks guys!

Back