I have rejected 2 applicants so far !

Hi Lil Skater

In WA the Bond can also be higher than normal for properties over $1,200 p/wk rent and there can be a $260 pet bond for fumigation costs on rental properties.

I would have chosen the 21 year olds and sold the excess furniture. (if they had excellent references!) You don't know the travellers girlfriend that would be moving in.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with transient tenants.
Our leases for our furnished suites are from 1 day- 1 year.

When a tenant leaves, you have the chance to fix any minor problems, without the hassle of the tenant.

If someone was coming for a job for a couple of years, why would they bother buying furniture.

Many here, rent their unfurnished homes starting on a 6 month lease, how is this any different?

To say, you will get a better class of tenant is ridiculous, if they want unfurnished. If that was the case, there would be very few problems with tenants.

We rent our furnished apt out 8 months of the year..nothing is damaged.
If they wanted a certain piece of furniture removed, we say no.
They either accept it, or look elsewhere.

Our current tenants are from Scotland. No references. They pay their bond, and we take our chances.As you do with every tenant.

Don't approach finding the perfect tenant the same way as finding the perfect husband. Its a business transaction. You have insurance.

I would have chosen the 21 year olds and sold the excess furniture. (if they had excellent references!) You don't know the travellers girlfriend that would be moving in.

yep and I dont know the man either.

Yes I have been considering this option too. I could sell my linen cupboard, bed and chuck out my big heavy analogue tv. I could always replace those items when I move back in.

Originally they only wanted 6 months but offered 12 months if they could bring those 3 items of furniture with them.

The have good references too! :) and both are employed!

This looks like the best option so far I reckon.

I'm getting back to them early next week. I'm wondering if I should accept their application or just wait until after the next viewing on Tuesday. I might risk losing them whilst trying to make up my mind.

What does everyone think? I think this is the least risky option of the 2 so far.

I've been talking it over with mum. She reckons I should wait till after Tuesdays home open because I might get a more suitable applicant. She thinks it would be a waste of money getting rid of some of my furniture.

If I do wait till after Tuesday then I could lose this couple and what happens if no one good applys after the next home open. Mum says I shouldn't speculate. I tried to explain that I'd be able to afford to replace the items later but she still thinks there is no hurry and I need to wait.

So.... what do I tell the pm to tell the young couple? Shall I get her to say the landlord is contemplating renting to you however she is currently considering other applicants? Whats the best approach? Also I'm still waiting to hear back to see if they are willing to leave their furniture behind. I like the fact that they are offering 12 months rather than the original 6 months. Sounds like they might be willing to stay around for a while!

Why wait until after Tuesday? That is another half a week.

Your big TV is worth nothing (except to you). You will have trouble even selling it for $20. Unpack the bed and store it somewhere and sell the pantry or whatever is best for you.

Why wait?

Yeah I think your right! I'll chat with pm 1st thing in the morning. Mum will just have to deal with it lol! I think you have to be quick! Make decisions quickly!

i have a few questions for you

is your mum a property investor?
is Wylie a property investor?

who can benefit you the most from there experience?

what should you be doing?

also with your spare furniture put them in the local paper to sell you wont have to move them then
how big is the tv? might get $50
at my garage sale a few months back sold a few things
sold a few 68cm tvs for $50, also sold 1 of those massive 60" flat screen rear projections for $435 i though it was only worth about 300 depends what others want to pay
i sold 2 queen beds with mattress for $100-$150 each they were snapped up in minutes

Yeah I think your right! I'll chat with pm 1st thing in the morning. Mum will just have to deal with it lol! I think you have to be quick! Make decisions quickly!

It does sound like you are winding yourself in circles...

If I were you, I would get some advice from your PM and then stick to it, both with whether to have furnished/ furnished, which tenant to choose etc.

Otherwise, it seems like you are being blown around by every different opinion you hear.

Here's the part I don't understand. You have a PM and you're concerning yourself with tenants. Let them handle it.

Hi Alex,

I'd agree with dtraeger2k above. By all means keep an eye on what the PM is doing, but let them source your tenants etc. Have you asked the PM which applicant would be the most suitable for your property? 6mths rent upfront sounds great to me. Put him on a 6 mth lease and then review it in 6mths time. After all, he has $30,000 in cash - he can easily afford 6mths rent on your IP. He should be able to find a job of some sorts within 6mths time - just enough time to pay you more rent. :D

I had a tenant a couple of years ago who was an Australian actor. He didn't have employment at the time, but had around $80,000 in the bank and extra $ in shares. Turned out to be a good tenant - always paid on time etc. He was in the property for almost 2 yrs.

All the best with it.

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
Take the pom, six months in advance, leave furniture there

After six months if he moves out chuck the furniture, trust me u won't want tobever use it again

Furnished only works in high end dwellings (typically apartments) that are designed for the corporate markets. Anything else is a zero sum game. I've done the numbers before when taking into account cost/depreciation lease.

Buzz I reckons it works in FIFO areas such as gladstone as well

The pommy coming here to work mkt - they wont trash your furniture, they'll be out most of the time, usually down th epub having a lager.

both of them sound good.

Back