I saved myself $350 in 2 hours!!

I have got a broken soap holder in the bathroom.
I called tilers for help and they all wanted to charge $200-$350 for this job.
I was unhappy about their quotes and I did it myself.
While it is probably not a good job from professional tilers' point of view but it is certainly one of the most challenging home improvement projects I have.

PS. The whole process took me around 2 hours. The most time consuming part is the broken soap holder removal and cleaning of the debris.

PPS. The following video has a quick fix for soap holder problem, but the lady in the video might be viewed as the enemy of landlord....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmaaZNPLxs

Attachments

• broken soap holder.png
    broken soap holder.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 140
  • remove the broken soap holder.png
    remove the broken soap holder.png
    726.7 KB · Views: 132
  • removed.png
    removed.png
    677.2 KB · Views: 126
  • put tile back.png
    put tile back.png
    697.5 KB · Views: 163
Too much or too little? :confused:

They wouldn't get out of bed for $50. Well done. I did a quote a few months ago for paving my backyard, and one couple quoted me a fortune, also saying "but you have to dig all the soil and grass out". :eek:

I ended up doing it myself. Hard work, but learnt heaps.

Hi

Done to many of these.

They are an absolute disaster from a LL point of view. Personally have never broken one or even seen one break but tenants manage to. How, I have no idea.

We are currently cleaning up a unit and have to remove another obligatory soap dish

Anyway, for future reference you are best trying to remove the grout around the soap dish to avoid any force being transmitted through to the tiles around and possibly cracking then.

Cheers

I got quotes from serviceseeking. Most of them want a minimum of $200.
Is there any handyman in Western Sydney area who can do this job for $50? :D

Most have a charge-out rate of $50/hr +, this wouldn't cover the time coming to the site, checking what's required, running off to tile supplier, consumables, then the actual time doing the job.

The downside of DIY - you can't claim your labour, so there goes your savings.

The trouble with DIY tile changing is that you may end up damaging surrounding tiles while removing the bad one unless you are good at doing such stuff. But if you do the shopping for replacement tiles and of you can explain the job before they come in, you should be able to get this done for $100. It always pays if you know some tradies as you can get them in during their idle time to get such non urgent stuff done.

They wouldn't get out of bed for $50. Well done. I did a quote a few months ago for paving my backyard, and one couple quoted me a fortune, also saying "but you have to dig all the soil and grass out". :eek:

I ended up doing it myself. Hard work, but learnt heaps.
Yes, I can't agree with you more... hard work but learnt heaps.
It is not just about the money saved but it is the sense of achievement/proud and admiration from your kids+partner after the job is done.
Those things are priceless! :D

Hi

Done to many of these.

They are an absolute disaster from a LL point of view. Personally have never broken one or even seen one break but tenants manage to. How, I have no idea.
Tenants are always capable of doing things that we don't think they are possible :p

We are currently cleaning up a unit and have to remove another obligatory soap dish

Anyway, for future reference you are best trying to remove the grout around the soap dish to avoid any force being transmitted through to the tiles around and possibly cracking then.
Cheers
I was thinking of putting another soap dish.
But I don't think they will not use the soap dish because the tub is not so clean.
That's why I decided to put back a tile to end the nightmare of potential endless soap dish replacement :)

I was trying to remove grout first but I found that it is not an easy job and I might chip the surround tiles.

What I did was drilling an array of holes in the soap dish and then breaking/removing it piece by piece. And last I used a chisel to carefully take away grout.

I was trying to remove grout first but I found that it is not an easy job and I might chip the surround tiles.

We use a multi function tool to remove the grout. You need to be careful that the blade stays in the grout line but takes no time at all.

Still need to use hammer and chisel etc and be real careful

Cheers

PS for some reason the upload turned the pictures 90 degrees. Sorry

We use a multi function tool to remove the grout. You need to be careful that the blade stays in the grout line but takes no time at all.

Still need to use hammer and chisel etc and be real careful

Cheers

PS for some reason the upload turned the pictures 90 degrees. Sorry
Great job :D

What multi function tool are you referring to?

I used a wooden chisel (I meant chisel for cutting woods, not chisel made of wood :p ) and the chisel's blade was badly damaged (cost me $7 for a set of 3 from Bunnings). Is there a special chisel for the tile-grout cleaning work?

I used a wooden chisel (I meant chisel for cutting woods, not chisel made of wood :p ) and the chisel's blade was badly damaged (cost me $7 for a set of 3 from Bunnings). Is there a special chisel for the tile-grout cleaning work?

Probably referring to a 'Renovator' type tool. There are special grout removal tools you can use, but anything that strips the grout off will suffice.

You can soften grout with vinegar, but just make sure you spot test somewhere not obvious in case it stains your tiles.

pinkboy

The multi tool

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ozito-12...unction-Tool-With-Accessory-Kit-/290920891175

It's actually my son who does these jobs these days.

I am not sure which exact blade he uses on the multitool but he did use a big bolster chisel to drop of the tile and soap dish. He can get away with it because of the grout removal.

As mentioned previously we do a few of these so practice makes perfect;)

Cheers

I have got a broken soap holder in the bathroom.
I called tilers for help and they all wanted to charge $200-$350 for this job.
I was unhappy about their quotes and I did it myself.
While it is probably not a good job from professional tilers' point of view but it is certainly one of the most challenging home improvement projects I have.

PS. The whole process took me around 2 hours. The most time consuming part is the broken soap holder removal and cleaning of the debris.

PPS. The following video has a quick fix for soap holder problem, but the lady in the video might be viewed as the enemy of landlord....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmaaZNPLxs

Kudos to you.

I just spent 7 hours on the roof finding and fixing a leak. Will let you know my success or otherwise next time it rains. I enjoy doing these things myself as it gives me a sense of satisfaction and I am tired of being ripped off by tradies. If it doesn't work I'll probably just buy a new roof but if it does I've saved myself a few quid.

Don't do electric or plumbing work my self but I will give the plumbing a go in the near future.

Back