Ideas on reducing your expenses?

In Melbourne, I find buying fruit and veg for the week from Queen Vic markets is roughly half the cost of buying the same from the local green grocers or supermarkets.

In Melbourne, I find buying fruit and veg for the week from Queen Vic markets is roughly half the cost of buying the same from the local green grocers or supermarkets.

And the meat on a Sunday afternoon is cheaper and better than most places. Plus the atmosphere is great. Just gotta keep avoiding the spanish donut caravan. Yum! :D

Cheers

Oscar

-
- complain that you got the "wrong" pizza when you get home to get a free one
- take things back to K-Mart for a refund/exchange (regardless of where they came from)
- t

Pity the poor pizza shop owner busting to try to make a living.
And the taking stuff back to K mart suggestion is just plain dishonest.
This is not money saving tips but theft.
Karma will get you eventually.

I spent a lot of money on the gifts. I have many relatives and it was neccessary to buy gifts for everyone on every holiday. So I'va just found an excellent opportunity to save money - I found small and interesting gift-shop, but with small prices :D So, my relatives happy because they have unusual gifts for every holiday, and I'm happy to have my expenses cut!

-
- complain that you got the "wrong" pizza when you get home to get a free one
- take things back to K-Mart for a refund/exchange (regardless of where they came from)
- t

Pity the poor pizza shop owner busting to try to make a living.
And the taking stuff back to K mart suggestion is just plain dishonest.
This is not money saving tips but theft.
Karma will get you eventually.

Glucose,

bit of tongue in cheek in this thread reading between the lines.

Tim

Weddings are a huge expense and when my husband and I got married we eloped at the Registry Office, $83 and 17 minutes later, it was all over!
Now as parents to 5 kids under 13 we still look for ways to cut costs, our biggest saving being "Homemade laundry liquid" which works out to 1 cent a load! Got to pinch the pennies where you can.

Years ago saw a Mr Cheapskate on tv. His MO:

* he went downhill in neutral (already mentioned in this thread)

* he took a byo slice of cheese for McDonald's cheeseburger (cheese probably from mum's fridge)

* bought his drinks at the bottle-o then smuggled them into the pub under his coat - pub drinks more expensive

* he'd 'forget' his wallet on drinks night (no more costly reciprocal shouts!)

:p

occasional wardrobe shopping at opshops, smiths, vinnies. National retailers i think dump their unsold stock there. Brand new, not faulty, not outdated. Some would have marks but after a wash who can tell?

my latest brand new buys:

new florsheim shoes for hubby -$15.00
YD shirt for son - $7.00
Osh Kosh jeans for 6yr old son - $10.
designer jeans for me & daughter - $40
Portmans top - $5.00
and.....

original versace jeans for hubby - $30.00

i'm happy. :)

That was him GeoffW..... forgot that he used to do the wipers intermittently. On then off to clear the windscreen using least amount of power. Most of us would (in a downpour) switch the durn wipers on and keep driving. :)

;) Shhhhh Missvee...... don't let everyone know about the op shops.:eek:
They will get the good stuff:p
I'd like to make an announcement: There is nothing good at op shops. Stick to ebay folks.

Re-use tbags to make multiple cups
Count squares of toilet paper used
Live off sausages
Stich underwear including bras and socks if a hole develops
Make your own toothpaste

And YES, I do know a couple who have lived like this for years. They are mean and are always wanting something for free. I am sure they have many other $ saving ways but I don't want to know.

Wylie that is hilarious! Reusing dental floss.... dentist would have a conniption. The idea being one flosses away the debris not reinsert it 24 hours later after the greeblies multiply!

Lucyinthesky.... I admit it stitch to repair when possible.
BUT I don't think I am mean. I like to think I am generous with others even though I am on a budget myself. Often spend my grocery money on someone's or to celebrate their bday at a restaurant and forfeit my own fortnightly shopping to do so.... but they would never know it.

Wasn't criticising you Wish-ga, we all try and save a few dollars where we can. It just seems that this has taken over their lives and is more like an obsession. They are always outraged and when they notice you have bought something, they rant forever about why it cost too much and what a fool I was for getting it. Difficult to be around and sad as they have lost all of their friends and family is pretty stretched. I think it only sensible to save where you can but within reason, I also think it is important to get enjoyment out of life.

My mother-in-law bless her hand knitted socks..... once asked me with surprise "Oh..... don't you darn his socks?" when on a rare visit and helping me fold laundry.

Hubby promptly told her that the one time I did darn his socks, they were so uncomfortable with the darned bits rubbing his poor widdle toes that he threw them in the bin. I added that for $1 per pair, it is not worth darning them.

Wylie

My mother-in-law bless her hand knitted socks..... once asked me with surprise "Oh..... don't you darn his socks?" when on a rare visit and helping me fold laundry.

Hubby promptly told her that the one time I did darn his socks, they were so uncomfortable with the darned bits rubbing his poor widdle toes that he threw them in the bin. I added that for $1 per pair, it is not worth darning them.

Wylie

You buy your husband $1 socks?:eek:

Well, probably not $1 but I usually buy a pack of three or five for maybe $10 to $15 so a bit more than $1. My point is that I don't know if ANYONE darns socks anymore when you can buy a pair for the cost of a cappuccino.

I have better things to do with my time (and the darning hurts his widdle toes).

Wylie

Back