If you don't build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs.

If you don't build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs. - Tony Gaskins

http://philosiblog.com/2013/04/10/i...m-someone-will-hire-you-to-help-build-theirs/

After a difficult day at work yesterday, two people paraphrased this saying to me. One was a colleague and one was my 14yo son. He said "If you aren't following your dream, you are following someone elses"

It was such a deja vu moment to have 2 unrelated people say it to me and it really 'spoke' to me.

I did decide at the beginning of this year to take charge and move from having 2 jobs - a day job and a my IPs - to solely working on my IPs/Developing. 10 more weeks to go!

I've helped someone else build there's, I've then worked on their dream and my dream at the same time and now it's time to fly solo on my own dream.

I thought I would share this article with you and see if it helps anyone else get some clarity on their goals.

Last edited:
I am aware that I am building someone else's dream. Meanwhile I am trying to build a IP portfolio which I believe will cover our minimum need (say 50k in current dollars) in around 10 years. Then I will be able to follow my dream utilizing all my time instead of part time as it is now.

Thanks for sharing the article and thoughts WM.

Last edited:
I did decide at the beginning of this year to take charge and move from having 2 jobs - a day job and a my IPs - to solely working on my IPs/Developing. 10 more weeks to go!
Good stuff westminister.
That is kinda my goal now too. In 15 years time I want to be able to say "thank you very much.. I will just look after my IPs".

Love it,

Though keep in mind, building your own dream doesn't necessarily mean having your own business.

Depending on your perspective, (and the kind of job you have), a job may be seen as someone else funding your dream for you. Cause business is ^$@ hard.

It was only yesterday i was talking to a bloke and he was telling me what he did, and i said ok so its a good gig? and he replied meh its ok, the owner is on a good gig!! I have had that convo many times with people. I thought to myself why make someone else rich, when you can have a go yourself.

I'd consider it a privilege to be paid to help somebody build their dream home. Isn't that what coaches and mentors do?

I thought to myself why make someone else rich, when you can have a go yourself.

I thought that is a great post!

That has been my "way" ever since I dabbled in working for wages for a couple years after school. I very quickly worked out that Im better off providing a service at my own expense and expertise and it has to be good enough to "provide".

Well it has served well over the years and then the epiphany of Jan Somers Books hit me and away we go....!

What I took home from this is that many of us go through a stage where we are working to produce income to be attractive to banks (ie good old regular serviceability) but it's not our passion. It's fine to recognise it as such and know that you are doing it and it's helping someone else get rich BUT also helping you get rich/independant as it's giving you the ability to borrow Other People's Money.

It's a win for them and a win for you. At some stage though - and this is my desire - there comes a time when you can choose to concentrate on only building your dream and not be building their's anymore.

I loved my day job and got a lot of satisfaction from it but I got to a stage where there wasn't enough synergy between my dreams and my companies' dreams AND I had the $ to pursue my dreams.

Myf
Good read.
It would be great to get an update in 9 months time.

I have a feeling things are just going to get a lot more interesting, and I know many more doors will open, its just the beginning.

MTR:)

What I took home from this is that many of us go through a stage where we are working to produce income to be attractive to banks (ie good old regular serviceability) but it's not our passion. It's fine to recognise it as such and know that you are doing it and it's helping someone else get rich BUT also helping you get rich/independant as it's giving you the ability to borrow Other People's Money.

Against the grain of the thread a little - but how will your serviceability look once you throw in the towel? Or dont you care?

What I took home from this is that many of us go through a stage where we are working to produce income to be attractive to banks (ie good old regular serviceability) but it's not our passion. It's fine to recognise it as such and know that you are doing it and it's helping someone else get rich BUT also helping you get rich/independant as it's giving you the ability to borrow Other People's Money.ams.
Great words, they remind me as if you reflected upon the 5 doors of success as I recently read in the book, "Life in half a second". The 1st was clarity, as setting goals, and you seemed to conclude that. 2nd door is desire and again your key words portray that. 3rd door is belief as how could we achieve anything if we did not have that characteristic. 4th door is knowledge and you seem to be on your way as your footer portrays that. And final 5th door is the action, which you decided to take now..... Well done as it seems to me that all your doors are aligned and if your desire is greater than anything else you will succeed, I think we all can but honestly how many of us know about it and then really follow a system to success? I strongly recommend this reading especially when going after your dreams!:)

No one ever wrote down a plan, to be broke, lazy and stupid.

People become this way when they don't dream.

A dream is simply a plan that hasn't yet been started.

Back