If You Watch Tv, What Are Your 2-3 Favourite Tv Shows??

Me - I love Boston Legal with William Shatner & James Spader as well as watching Chaser's War On Everything - Stacks Funny!! I don't know how those guys get away with some of the stuff they do - no shame at all & so persistent! :D

Don't watch much TV. I try and download the episodes for convinience of watching.
But I do watch these on a regular basis on TV - Simpsons, House and Doctor Who :D

Definitely Chaser,
Family Guy,
Prison Break,
Lost WAS good once upon a time,
Dexter is a great show (don't think its been shown here in Aus yet though?) - worth a look either way!

After the footy (League), preferences are American Chopper (although that is getting a bit tedious now), Ultimate fighter, Spicks & specks.

Regards
Marty.

Don't mind Chasers either

Definately State of Origin, followed the NRL grand final, followed by rugby tests involving OZ and Kiwis and Springboks. Not counting them, probably news, 60 minutes, and some of the Sunday morning current affair shows.

See ya's.

Grand Designs, Property Ladder, Big Brother :D

Wylie

Hey Wylie,

I'm with you on your choices, they're my favourites too. Problem is that I can't watch Property Ladder unless I'm at my folks as I can't bare to pay for tv!! It isn't on free-to-air and I'm missing out, is it?

OK, hardly ever watch TV but my two favourite shows would be:

1. The ABC news, and in particular Alan Kohler's finance report. I actually make sure I see this at about 7.15pm every night, even if its mid-dinner. Love his delivery style and he focuses on macro-trends and makes them simple to understand which I like.

2. Top Gear on the SBS. Pure escapist fun. Those guys have a fantastic sense of humour. Converting an 8-seater people-mover to a soft-top, driving it at 100mph until it rips off then taking it through a lion enclosure then a drive through carwash! You've got to laugh...

I never watch anything made in the US. Can't stand their shows, absolute rubbish that pretends to be clever but is oh so formula and built for popular consumption. Makes me pewk. And you can add all reality TV to that category of vomit-enducing too.

Cheers,
Michael.

I watch very little Tv these days.

I like Top Gear when I think to put it on - I think I enjoy it because the kids enjoy it too.

I find The Simpsons to be clever but have had enough of it for a while.

Life on Mars was a great series whilst it was on. Looking forward to the second season.

when I have the inclination I find Law and Order to be an easy watch though somewhat predictable.

I think I am turning into my parents as I enjoy ABC and SBS more than the commercial stations.

Has anyone else noticed that some US shows are getting a bit more intelligent than they used to be in the past? No more catering to the lowest common denominator.

Has anyone else noticed that some US shows are getting a bit more intelligent than they used to be in the past? No more catering to the lowest common denominator.
Not me.

But maybe that's because I haven't watched them in years... :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Michael.

Don't have any real favourites but I do try to catch "The Sideshow" with Paul Macdermit, the new "Dr Who" series, "Rove", and any of the new channel 7 movies currently playing.

Afterlife
AirWolf
Babylon 5
Battlestar Galactica 1978
Battlestar Galactica 2004
Blakes 7
Buck Rogers In The 25th Century
Buffy
CSI New York
CSI
CSI Miami
Dead Zone, The
Desperate Housewives
Doctor Who
Dresden Files
Eureka
Ghost Whisperer
Heroes
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy
Jericho
Knight Rider
Lost
MacGyver
Medium
NCIS
Numb3rs
Primeval
Prison Break
Red Dwarf
Regenesis
Stargate Atlantis
Stargate SG-1
StarTrek Deep Space 9
StarTrek Enterprise
StarTrek The Next Generation
StarTrek TOS
Star Trek Voyager
Supernatural
The 4400
TMNT2003
Torchwood
Veronica Mars

That's a list from my file server at home, not that I spend much time watching TV these days :)

Also record Rove..

All this is available at the click of a button on my Vista Media Center. The machine is complete with 4 digital TV tuners, electronic program guide and 320GB HDD for automated recording.

Cheers,

Arkay.

All this is available at the click of a button on my Vista Media Center. The machine is complete with 4 digital TV tuners, electronic program guide and 320GB HDD for automated recording.
Arkay,

So how much does one cost, and does it actually work? I was looking at buying a HD digital set top box with a built in HDD, but was told by a mate that the ability to set genres etc for recording wasn't really available in Australia yet. He said there was some web-site that was pioneering this, but that the free-to-air channels were stuffing them around and not providing accurate digital program guides etc.

So, I held off buying one until the technology matured enough. Are you suggesting its ready now?

I do love my Sci Fi, but never watch it now as they keep moving it around and run it late. If I had an advanced system to grab and record it for me (and to maybe skip the ads too) then I'd be much more inclined to watch it. Might extend my viewing content from the SBS and ABC.

Cheers,
Michael.

Michael,

It's a hard thing to answer. If you are technically competent then yes, it's all available now and it does work quite well. IceTV offer an electronic program guide ($3/wk). If you use that for free to air recording you'll find everything works quite nicely.

Media Center itself has its technical deficiencies (like all things Microsoft), but the latest incarnation (Vista), has been running very well for me.

I'm a bit of a techo though so I have Linux servers, MythTV boxes, MCE boxes etc all over the place. I really think the key is hardware choice. Get the wrong hardware and you will suffer. Get it right and it's relatively pain free.

If you really want to take a closer look then get yourself over to www.xpmediacentre.com.au. I'm a mod over there so feel free to ask any questions. I can let you know what my hardware is so you can replicate a working machine if you're interested. If you're ever in Melb your welcome to come and take a look ;) Just PM me.

I don't advocate spending $$$$ on PC's (but I do it anyway!), but once you've had a PVR and stop watching commercial TV (and commercials), well. It's just fantastic. My kids don't know what a commercial is and every one hour show I watch only goes for 42 mins so I get to see my TV and save time :)

Not many people are aware but the constant moving of shows or them simply not being televised is common in Australian broadcasting. I've heard of instances where 1 network will buy the rights to a show to block another network (even though they never intend to put the show in!)... Australian broadcasting is ridiculous.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Last edited:
Two and a Half Men
My Hero

30 min vacuous escapist TV comedy's.

Ok I admit it, I also like Judge Judy

Also like
Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister - Classics

AND I am taping America's next top model:eek: :eek: :eek:

I try not to miss:

Chaser
Spicks and Specks
Rockwiz
The Soup

I also like the Aussie reality police show that is on at the moment

Also enjoy/ed Hell's Kitchen with Gordon Ramsay and Neil Perry High Steaks.

house (say no more)
top gear (yes, i am a girl - but love it)
the worst jobs in history (makes you really appreciate being alive now)

next level down would be:
medium
iron chef
any house reno/building/landscaping shows

Back