If you were given $500,000. Which city would you buy in?

$500,000. Where would you buy?

• Adelaide

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 62 41.9%
  • Darwin

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • Perth

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Sydney

Votes: 29 19.6%

• Total voters
Having lived in Melb much of my life, but have visited all the others except Darwin; I'd say Melb.

I like Perth too, but we have a lot more variation of a lot of things to offer in Victoria.

From that list I think Melbourne has the best long term growth. If your total budget is $500k however, you won't find much down this way and I'd say Brisbane fits better.

Where's the Hobart and Canberra options?

For $500k, you could buy houses in Adelaide and Brisbane and still have a little bit of change left over. Or two houses in Hobart if you prefer that.

The original question might as well be asking "how long is a piece of string?". Some of the answers already are from a personal situation (e.g. taxation), and each city has multiple markets moving at different speeds and directions - Melbourne in particular.

Sunny Queensland for me too ! Could stretch that to 2 free standing homes or 3 townhouses / units in Ipswich and come out in front by at least $50 per week.

I put down Brisbane even though I live in Melbourne. Better rental yields generally speaking and capital growth is good.

If it was for PPOR I would buy Melbourne, since rental yields wouldn't matter.

Last time I did a bit of investigating Brisbane on the average house would return 4-5% rental yield whereas in Melbourne was 3-4%.

Last time I did a bit of investigating Brisbane on the average house would return 4-5% rental yield whereas in Melbourne was 3-4%.

I agree with your assessment, but I've also found that Brisbane's holding costs are significantly higher.

* Investors are charged higher council rates by the Brisbane City Council.
* Melbourne's property management fees are often around 6%-7%, Brisbane starts at 8%.
* If you don't have a 'water wise' certificate for a Brisbane property, you can end up paying for a significant portion of their water usage (not just the supply).

There's more to it than a simple yield figure.

Brisbane will likely enjoy better growth over the next 12 months. Longer term I thing Melbourne will be one of the better performers across the country.

The biggest long term advantage is that Brisbane has a lower price point. If you're going to look exclusively at price point and on paper yield, Adelaide and Hobart trump all.

Back