if you were to start again?

To an extent.... yes. It is all nice and ‘feel right’ to say that let kids do whatever they want. In my view that is not what a parent should do. Parents should take more responsibility to the product they brought to this world.
Currently my expectation of kids (<5) is to pack away their toys at the end of the day or wash their cups. Given a choice they would rather make more mess :)

And that is a good point. I'm confident that most parents on this forum would do that.

I’m not going to force my kids to do medicine. But I will expect them to get a degree in whatever field they want. It simply gives them ‘options’ in their life. They can become a chippie after that if they want. That is their choice. Lot more doors will be opened if you have a degree regardless of what field you are in.
Just to lighten to mood… One little beautiful girl told my 3 years old son that she wants to marry him. He said “no.. no .. no… I want to be a truck driver”! Geezz get your priorities right son :)

There's a big difference between young kids, and adolescents choosing a career path. You can tell your kids what to do when they are young because they are dependent on you. At 15yo in Australia they can move out. You have very little say when a child is independent unless your child is abnormal and still listens to your opinion.

morning all... the question I am asking is if you where to start your investing careers again today in the present economic climate how would you go about it differently :confused:

the reason I ask is im close to finishing ip 1 looking at ip 2 have an investing strategy in mind but dont want to be just an average investor! I believe knowledge from people that have done this before me is invaluable so I thought id throw the question out there...

peace out :cool:
benny

Don't sell without a good reason. Sold an IP last year, big mistake. If I had spent more time on this forum, I would not have sold it. Now I spend more time on this forum :D

Don't sell without a good reason. Sold an IP last year, big mistake. If I had spent more time on this forum, I would not have sold it. Now I spend more time on this forum :D

It's all too easy to get into a panic or follow the crowd and dump stuff that would be worth its weight in gold in a few years.

You have very little say when a child is independent unless your child is abnormal and still listens to your opinion.

Without causing offence to anybody. I think this would mean most South Asian ethnic kids are abnormal by that definition. As most listen to their parents well into 20's. Many into their 30's, 40's, 50's. It's kinda sad :rolleyes:

There's a big difference between young kids, and adolescents choosing a career path. You can tell your kids what to do when they are young because they are dependent on you. At 15yo in Australia they can move out. You have very little say when a child is independent unless your child is abnormal and still listens to your opinion.

In most countries the legal drinking age is 18 or over. Full driving license also 18 or over (I think) in Australia. You can vote only after age 18. You can get a credit card only after age 18. You can rent a house or car only after age 18. I think any crimes committed by 18 also taken to Children’s Courts. So I would say you need to be at least 18 to be considered adult.

I didn't say I'm going to chose the career path. I said " I will expect them to get a degree in whatever field they want. It simply gives them ‘options’ in their life. They can become a chippie after that if they want. That is their choice. "

Without causing offence to anybody. I think this would mean most South Asian ethnic kids are abnormal by that definition. As most listen to their parents well into 20's. Many into their 30's, 40's, 50's.
I don't think it is limited to South Asian only. I think the whole Asian and Middle Eastern and even Italians. You never want to mess with an angry mother from these background :p

I don't think it is limited to South Asian only. I think the whole Asian and Middle Eastern and even Italians. You never want to mess with an angry mother from these background :p

Devan, I think it really is sad! I realised this at 22. Such kids really struggle to grow up to be independent, critical thinkers. Our community is full of such examples....I just don't want to start another debate on doctors :D

If you were to start again

It would be a mistake to think that your kids were not influenced by what you do. I started upgrading PPR's when my son was about 16. As I progressed with investing it had a significant influence on what my son was doing and thinking. He became a chippie and now has a decent property portfolio that gives him financial freedom. I encouraged him to research and learn from others.

I'd stick at something long enough to earn at least an average salary.

My problem is that I studied a million different things, had a bunch of short-term jobs but never stuck at anything for long enough to make a career of it.

I don't think you necessarily need degrees to be successful if you're smart and you have a plan, but the difference between a $45k job and an $80k job is pretty big when you're trying to get started. And that difference in compounded by time in the market. I.e., the better your salary, the quicker you can get started, the bigger entrance you can make, the quicker you pass into the snowball phase, the bigger your snowball will be, etc.

In most countries the legal drinking age is 18 or over. Full driving license also 18 or over (I think) in Australia. You can vote only after age 18. You can get a credit card only after age 18. You can rent a house or car only after age 18. I think any crimes committed by 18 also taken to Children’s Courts. So I would say you need to be at least 18 to be considered adult.

I didn't say I'm going to chose the career path. I said " I will expect them to get a degree in whatever field they want. It simply gives them ‘options’ in their life. They can become a chippie after that if they want. That is their choice. "

Evolutionary speaking it's normal for kids at the age of adolescence to push against their parents and go their own way. Otherwise they would never leave and form their own families and pass on their dna.

Culture can have an impact, but a lot of the time it won't control the childs urge to push against their parents for their own independence. Australia has a culture that fosters independence which negates a lot of the influence from other cultures, i.e. "all my friends are doing... I don't care what you say you don't know anything..."

So with all that in mind I choose to have low expectations of my children. In as much as I will accept them and be happy with them as long as they are happy and healthy and not a drain on society :p

congrats man im 25 myself a scaffolder/ rigger so I guess I qualify as a bogan im currently finishing building my first ip :) which im extremely proud of and currently looking at my second :)... im currently am working on the gorgon gas project with ladies and gentlemen twice my age that are renting or have a ppor and havent even considered investing... I find myself with the freedom to invest and the opportunity to build my ppor when ever I want ...

so yes congratulations we are miles ahead of the rest as we only have time on our hands to hone our investment skills :)

So you are earning around twice as much as China is then :D

I heard the pool cleaner at CV is called Mr 303 due to his salary and the washbay attendant earns 220K and does SFA while people wash their own cars.

Seriously, you don't need a uni degree or even a trade to earn serious $$$ if you know where to look. Education shouldn't be just to get a good job, it should be to develop yourself culturally and intellectually as well. I have a degree but it doesn't get me any more money than a Cert V trained person does in my field.

Without causing offence to anybody. I think this would mean most South Asian ethnic kids are abnormal by that definition. As most listen to their parents well into 20's. Many into their 30's, 40's, 50's. It's kinda sad :rolleyes:

That's 'most' south Asian ethnic KIDS problems.

LOL.

If they haven't figured out the difference between listening to their parents wisdom yet making their own decisions, and doing things because their parents tell them to, then they haven't got much right to call themselves adults.

Looking back I don't have any regrets but I probably wouldn't have wasted the first 10 years after finishing school bumming around in low paid dead end admin jobs and partying my wage away every weekend.

I would have loved to become an electrician, not domestic but industrial.

I definately would have bought the two houses I could have but didn't - a house in Forest Lake Qld mum wanted to sell to me for $140K and a 3 bed villa in West Sydney for $250K.

But it all worked out OK in the end despite the mistakes I made.

P.S - I recently worked with an ex scaffy/rigger who is a definate bogan - full arm/neck tatts, buys hoon cars and quad bikes, owns about a bazillion guns etc etc but also owns 2 houses in rockingham plus about 300 acres of land down south near Bunbury so just goes to show you never can tell who might be a secret property investor.

Probably worse than standard bogans?
A cashed up bogan doesn't exist.

It is an ocker.

A bogan is the one who looks like 10 miles of bad road, and is a nuisance to all, shows no respect for anything - least of all themselves with their appearance, language and general behaviour all through their miserable lives - and is a drain on society financially in a number of ways.

Basically; an oxygen thief who looks like shoit, and an embarassment to this great Country.

Immigrants who go to live in places like Dande-thong must be horrified at the standard of humans they come across in those first few weeks in the place.

P.S - I recently worked with an ex scaffy/rigger who is a definate bogan - full arm/neck tatts
Still cannot work out what possesses folk to think this is anywhere near a good look, or something they must do in life....

One or two modest ones looks....acceptable. The sleeve thing, and the whole neck/back/body etc - wake up to yerself.

It's there forever - not like pink hair which will grow out, or you can cut off.

Plenty of ways to have a "look at me" moment without the full-on tatts disaster.

I know, I know..."It's my body and I'll do what I like!"

Good for you, son.

How's the colour of 'em looking when you're about 50?

Oh; and did I mention the cost? It's a good spend. pppfffttt.

I could've gotten a full scholarship at any Australian university (ie the unis would've paid me to study at their institution at a bachelor level) to do medicine.

I got one of these and did the opposite to you, certainly not a pre-requisite to financial success though as you suggest.

I could've gotten a full scholarship at any Australian university (ie the unis would've paid me to study at their institution at a bachelor level) to do medicine if I wanted to, or any degree for that matter. If I had my time again, I still wouldn't have chosen it.

So did you top the state in the HSC Delta? How many kids get a full scholarship to medicine? Must only be a few?

See ya's.

Seriously, you don't need a uni degree or even a trade to earn serious $$$ if you know where to look. Education shouldn't be just to get a good job, it should be to develop yourself culturally and intellectually as well.

Absolutely. I value education very highly - not secondary as it's just a sausage factory but tertiary definitely as that's where learning really begins about standards of evidence etc - including the higher research degrees. Of course some of them are a complete waste of time but others (particularly in the sciences / engineering) definitely helped me get at least some small appreciation of the sheer scale of what I don't know. It's truly humbling... and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything. I have always had a lot of curiousity about how stuff works and uni was able to satisfy that in a socially acceptable manner.

But still, after uni was done, if I had my time again I would not worry anywhere near so much and just go a lot harder and faster than I did - into higher yielding assets and by renting myself in the meantime. I would literally have four times my current net worth with hardly any more work.

However, given where I was coming from and the massive amount of what I didn't know at the time, I'm reasonably proud of our achievements to date.

Oh - I would also have chosen different girlfriends than I did and been a lot less cautious with girls but some things just take a lot of time to learn - and just when you learn them you get married! :)

Back