I'm being silly re career/life move-I need some objective POV's (warning: long read!)

I need a good dose of reality and what better place than SS!

Apologies for the length, I have issues with being succinct.

A little bit of context...

My husband and I have lived in Melbourne for 4.5 years and have never liked the place, we only moved to follow my family as there was a little bit of blackmail involved. Originally we're from the far north coast of NSW. As soon as we got here we've wanted to get out of the place. But all the Melbourne trashing I've done, Melbourne has been good for us opportunity wise and we wouldn't be where we are now without moving down here.

It's always been our dream to live in Cairns and have always had the intention to buy and move but the time has never been right. Realising that it will probably never be the perfect time we seriously went house hunting with a list of criteria that needed to be met. We found our medium term forever home fairly quickly and it settled mid October. We planned on renting it out until ~August 2014 and then making the move north then as I was going to start the balling rolling on another career path and move up once I had done what needed to be done. But....

In the last week or so I've had a spanner thrown in the works.

I'm very career driven and worked hard to get where I am currently which, without giving too much away, is in head office for a big company . There is a lot of responsibility, autonomy and a bit of prestige with my role - I am proud to say what I do for a living. I didn't think there was any real job opportunities in Cairns with the company I work for which is (only) partly why I was pursuing the other career option. I then see a job advertised on our intranet that I would enjoy and didn't think it was an option available to me. I apply for it and have an informal chat/interview with the manager. Turns out the position advertised was one of those ones that has already been filled but they legally have to advertise anyway. But, I impressed the manager so much that she wants to create a position up in Cairns for me.

This is the clincher... the position would be quite a step down from what I do now. I realise that the equivalent position would not be available to me in Cairns but we're talking (in my eyes) a massive downgrade. Currently my working conditions are great, I can start when I want, finish when I want, work from home, take breaks whenever I want and how long I want. Essentially do what I want when I want as long as the work is getting done. Sometimes I'll have a 4 hr day and other days I'll have a 12 hr day. It all works out in the end. If we talk company layers with the CEO being Layer 1 and the Executive General Manager being Layer 2, I am a Layer 5. I also can make a difference in my segment of the company and have the warm fuzzies that come along with that. Having all of this and the work I've done towards it is important to me. I realise I am fortunate in what I get to do.

This proposed role in Cairns would be a 'pleb' role - one with a set start and finish time, set breaks, even telling someone when I'm going to the loo. No flexibility, responsibility or autonomy whatsoever. The Cairns manager has said that she can move me up to Cairns into one of these roles with the promise of progression in the next 6-12 months. Having been burnt by 'promises' in the past (not with this company, they have always followed through) I'm dubious about what could be. The really good thing is she said she can slot me in on the same pay as what I am on now which is about $25k-$40kp/a more than what the role usually pays.

I am ashamed to admit it, but I would no longer be proud to say what I do for work. More ashamed to admit that this particular area of my work I've always held a bit of contempt for them - the majority are not the sharpest tools in the shed and I'm not sure how I would feel reporting to someone who is lower in the food chain than what I am now. I'm realising how arrogant I'm sounding, but this is how I feel.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this type of role, horses for courses, some people thrive in that type of environment - I started out doing it myself and sucked at some parts of the role but I have worked my proverbial off to get out of it to never return, but now I'm potentially facing it all again and that's making me feel sick.

The reason I'm considering it at all? It will get me (us) to Cairns before Christmas on a good income and the certainty of a job moving up there. The original plan was to move in 9 months, throw in my job and become self employed up in Cairns. Big risk, but we would have a cash buffer in place by then. Moving now is the safer option - I'm guaranteed a fortnightly paycheck in a secure industry.

What I see my options are if I do move to Cairns now is to grin and bear it, swallow my pride and set aside my ego, which, don't get me wrong, I am grateful for what this manager is offering me which is where there's another part that I'm a little uneasy with. What if I suck at the role - I don't want to let her down. She's taken a big risk with what she's doing and I don't want her to regret bringing me up to Cairns.

So do I ride it out and see what it's like when I get there and reassess the situation in the coming months. I can either stay with the company or start going down the original plan of branching out on my own, just be a little more difficult getting the ball rolling once I'm in a regional town and not a capital city.

For what it's worth, my husband wants to go ASAP, no matter the cost (read: how I feel the job situation) he just sees it as the easy option of moving up there. He's not one to step outside his comfort zone or do the hard yards so if something needs to be done, it's me who has to do it so I can't rely on him to get us up there.

Writing all this out is making me realise how silly I'm sounding but I think I need to hear the thoughts of others (if you've lasted this long reading it)!

A very wise man once told me "Life is not always about money".Simple but true.

The original plan was to move in 9 months, throw in my job and become self employed up in Cairns.

Why not bring this plan forward?

If I had the option to follow my heart at the expense of swallowing my pride, and plus getting paid for it, I would have done it in a heart beat. I am not sure what is your concern here considering you are wanting to move there in 9 months time regardless

A very wise man once told me "Life is not always about money".Simple but true.

The original plan was to move in 9 months, throw in my job and become self employed up in Cairns.

Why not bring this plan forward?

But I need sleep to live and to not have a regular pay cheque at the moment would destroy my SANF!

We don't have enough of a cash buffer to move and bring the plan forward at the moment. Settlement ended up costing us a lot more than we had originally planned for so that ate into our reserves.

I also need to do a Cert IV as well as a couple of other things before I become self emp.

If I moved with the company I currently work for then I would be on the same pay, bit of a no brainer I guess!

If I had the option to follow my heart at the expense of swallowing my pride, and plus getting paid for it, I would have done it in a heart beat. I am not sure what is your concern here considering you are wanting to move there in 9 months time regardless

Good point LoneWolf. I don't want to end up choking myself on my pride.

My heart wants to be in Cairns, sooner rather than later.

The 9 month time frame was more for Plan B which was the self employed route. Which I can still do, just not as easily.

Good point LoneWolf. I don't want to end up choking myself on my pride.

My heart wants to be in Cairns, sooner rather than later.

The 9 month time frame was more for Plan B which was the self employed route. Which I can still do, just not as easily.

Why would you choke on you pride, given that you will be where you want to be?

I have recently learnt something quite valuable from someone wiser than me
Grasp the opportunity while its available, don't regret it/realise it when its too late

As humans we seem to give things more significance than they deserve.

Do what makes you happy, the rest will sort itself out. Over time you will get promotions, start the business or whatever else if it is truly what you want. This is Australia. I stayed somewhere longer than i should of. It is emotionally draining. and for what, $20k in the bank?

Realizing little is as important as we make it, it really free's you up to take a plunge and have a lot more fun with life. Kids get it. We seem to forget it as we grow up. I know i did.

Go to Cairns! You've got a job on a good salary. Granted, it's not what you WANT to do, but you've said it yourself, this company follows through on their promises.

In the meantime, continue getting your qualifications to go out on your own. That way you are prepared. If things work out with your job & you get the promotions as promised, you can stay with them. If not, well....you were going to go out on your own anyway.

Hi Kesse,

You want to move to Cairns,suck it up and move now!

Who knows you may like the job environment.

You can re-access 9mnths down the track if financially viable re:self employment.

So in a nutshell,live where you want to live that makes you happy and in the interim ride out the possible negs of job until your ready to kickstart what you have in mind.

Obtaining tranquility is only 1 piece of the puzzle in your case,the rest will follow in time,with all things being equal.

Cheers Spades.

I can't believe that you even need to think about this? You have an offer for a lower level job at the same pay in the place you want to go. It means that you can get up there and just do your job and not worry about money. In 6 months, you can then either stay for the promised promotion or quit and start the business that you were thinking about anyway. No brainer!

Hi Kesse,

Another POV !

Your manager goes out on a limb to help you move to Cairns, as you are on the same money (more than you "should" be) you are able to save enough to start your own business.

Is this business in opposition to your very kind manager ? If it is and I was your manager I would be exceedingly unhappy with you ! I may also get a wrap over the knuckles for paying you too much money which assisted you to start up in opposition.

Tricky position but in the end it is up to you :)

It all boils down to what is more important to you.

A more prestigious job?

A move to Cairns?

Simple choice really - but only you can make the decision.

I suspect you already know what you REALLY want to do but are looking for arguments to justify your decision. From what you say, my guess is that you really want to stay in the job you have now because of its prestige, but are having trouble countering the positive advantages of a move to Cairns and a lesser job (in your eyes).
Marg

I can't believe that you even need to think about this? You have an offer for a lower level job at the same pay in the place you want to go. It means that you can get up there and just do your job and not worry about money. In 6 months, you can then either stay for the promised promotion or quit and start the business that you were thinking about anyway. No brainer!

^everything said above.

JOB (just over broke), yes you got one, as well as many millions of others.
Prestige? really? in my eye PAYG employee is all more or less the same, tho my opinions may be a little different to yours, as I see my future in property only.
The only reason I keep my JOB is to fund my properties, if I had the choice of sitting of the beach each day collecting rent vs "been a prestige PAYG employee", I think the choice is obvious :D

You will hate your new role in cairns and rub people the wrong way.

I say wait until the right role is available, or do your own thing in 9 months.

Wise people you SS'ers! :D

As humans we seem to give things more significance than they deserve.

Do what makes you happy, the rest will sort itself out. Over time you will get promotions, start the business or whatever else if it is truly what you want. This is Australia. I stayed somewhere longer than i should of. It is emotionally draining. and for what, $20k in the bank?

Realizing little is as important as we make it, it really free's you up to take a plunge and have a lot more fun with life. Kids get it. We seem to forget it as we grow up. I know i did.

True. I enjoy my job now but my dislike of Melbourne far outweighs my enjoyment. We had only planned to stay in Vic for 2 years... :rolleyes: You're right about it being emotionally draining though.

I think I've put too much importance on my career.

Go to Cairns! You've got a job on a good salary. Granted, it's not what you WANT to do, but you've said it yourself, this company follows through on their promises.

In the meantime, continue getting your qualifications to go out on your own. That way you are prepared. If things work out with your job & you get the promotions as promised, you can stay with them. If not, well....you were going to go out on your own anyway.

Yep. They haven't let me down in the past, they've been good to me. Whether I can stay sane for the first 6 months or so is another story all together!

Definitely plan to still tee up option 2 as the fall back plan.

Hi Kesse,

You want to move to Cairns,suck it up and move now!

Who knows you may like the job environment.

You can re-access 9mnths down the track if financially viable re:self employment.

So in a nutshell,live where you want to live that makes you happy and in the interim ride out the possible negs of job until your ready to kickstart what you have in mind.

Obtaining tranquility is only 1 piece of the puzzle in your case,the rest will follow in time,with all things being equal.

Cheers Spades.

Ha, yeah, I do need to suck it up - I realise how precious I'm sounding!

If I take a step back and look objectively at the situation then it is really obvious what I need/should do.

I'm a massive over thinker, I think things to death!

Exactly right what you're saying though.

The main thing I'm struggling with is what I will be giving up work-wise down here. I realise now how lucky I am now that I'm facing the possibility that I may not have it for much longer!

Hi Kesse,

Another POV !

Your manager goes out on a limb to help you move to Cairns, as you are on the same money (more than you "should" be) you are able to save enough to start your own business.

Is this business in opposition to your very kind manager ? If it is and I was your manager I would be exceedingly unhappy with you ! I may also get a wrap over the knuckles for paying you too much money which assisted you to start up in opposition.

Tricky position but in the end it is up to you :)

I have given this POV much thought as well. Throughout my whole journey I have been 100% transparent at work with my leaders and my colleagues. When I was originally hired for the position I'm in now I told them of my plans to eventually move to Cairns and they appreciated the honesty. They wanted a commitment of 6 months, said I could definitely do that, and that 6 months ticked over in October.

I then started thinking seriously about the move to Cairns and what I would do work wise. The self emp route seemed to be the most viable option at the time. I spoke to my leader about this and he was happy to support me and give recommendations.

We then had a structure change and I got a new leader. As soon as was practical I told her about my plans and she's been great and really supportive. Though she does joke about sabotaging my Cairns job because she doesn't want me to leave.

I have told the Cairns boss that I can commit to 6 months in the role but can do 12 if needed. She knows the role isn't my preferred option and that's something we'll reassess when the time comes.

I have found if I am totally transparent with my intentions people seem to take it well, even if it does go against the grain. As long as I'm not being totally selfish and have care and respect for my job and the company it all works out. I have no intentions of doing the dodgy or 'using' the Cairns manager to advance myself in any way that would not benefit her or the company I work for.

Can you PM me the name of this company so I can tell them I'm a nice person and to send me a cheque for 20K.

Whatever you decide to do DON'T RESIGN FROM THIS COMPANY!

Can you PM me the name of this company so I can tell them I'm a nice person and to send me a cheque for 20K.

Whatever you decide to do DON'T RESIGN FROM THIS COMPANY!

+1! I think it all comes down to happiness!

I think LoneWolf has made valid point!

Congratulations on your successes so far and lasting as long as you have in melbourne

Kesse I think I spoke to you about some of your plans a few months ago. You spoke of the desire to start your own business and your current job at that time.

I fully support you moving now if you've got secure employment in Cairns. It will take some time to start the new business and even longer for it to replace your income. It's a good idea to have some cashflow in the meantime. If you're not enjoying Melbourne this just gives you an even larger imperative to move.

Make a move, get settled and get started in your new business.

Besides, I expect to be in Cairns at least twice next year. I might need a place to crash. :D

In addition to what Pete said, I'm familiar with your current job and your future self-employed one from previous chats.

The self-employed one is fairly easy to fit in with existing employment, at least at the beginning, til it's income overtakes what you're earning from the day job. I plan to do very similar :)

If you'll be happier in a warmer location, and who wouldn't, I'd be moving at the first opportunity ensuring I knew I had enough behind me to survive. I came to Perth from Adelaide as soon as an opportunity presented itself.

I was going to write a reply, but then I noticed that skater wrote it for me.

This is EXACTLY what I was going to write. Thanks skater :D.

Back