I'm fuming...

Ok, so I have been renting a 2bed unit, while waiting for vacancy in the house that I just bought. It was a 3 month lease until 28/02/09. My house was vacant the first weekend of Feb so I decided to move in over that weekend. I gave notice to the property manager at the beginning of Feb, that I would be terminating the rental by the 28/02/09 i.e. by the end of the contract.

All fine.. property manager calls me to say they have a prospective tenant, and when does it suit me to show him through. I say that afternoon is fine I just need to rearrange all my moving boxes (as this was before I moved out). Everything is fine, I move out, the said weekend. Property manager calls me the following Monday to ask when I can have the carpets cleaned and the final inspection done... the sooner the better because the prospective tenant would like to move in that Thursday, and the sooner the better for me too, because then I would save about 2.5weeks rent. Sweet I think, that is definitely worth saving.

So I call the carpet cleaner that the property manager prefers.. can't get an appointment until the Friday (day after the tenant wants to move in). Call the property manager to let them know... they beg me to try find a different one, so this poor new tenant can move in. Ok Ok I say and spend another half hour of my work time to find a different carpet cleaner for the next day.

So carpets are clean, unit is clean, and at final inspection everything is spotless (property managers words).

So the day after the final inspection I call the real estate agent/property manager that manages the unit, to get a final statement of things. I explain the situation to the bloke that I speak to on the phone, that my lease is up at the 28/02/09 but that since they have already found a new tenant I won't have to pay rent anymore.

This is where it all gets interesting and I start loosing my temper... :(

Bloke on the phone says.. ah no, we don't have a new tenant for that property and you will have to pay rent until 28/02/09 which is when the new tenant will move in. HA I say that is quite amusing.. since I have just gotten off the phone with the electricity and gas company who tells me that somebody else has already disconnected my gas and electricity. He answers well that is a bit premature.... Here I start to really angry :mad:

I tell him that by all accounts I have been informed by people in his office that a new tenant is moving in that day, and that I have been inconvinienced by carpet cleaners etc. for the unit to be ready for the new tenant, and that I am more than happy to drive around to the unit and physically see for myself whether there is a new tenant or not, and that I am quite happy to come back and pick up the keys to the unit and keep them until 28/02/09 (I am fuming at this point). He says "you do that" and hangs up on me!!!! WTF :mad::mad: NOT HAPPY.

This is Friday afternoon at 4.30, so I leave work early, get in the car and race down to this freaking property manager to give them an earfull. I arrive, and the bloke that I spoke to on the phone comes to the reception and says.. can I help you? Yeah freaking hell you can, you can give me the final statement of my rental! Which unit were you renting.. I tell him and he says OOHH you are Goldfish! A very cranky YES from me.

So the whole office is just sorting out my paperwork! So I get to stand and wait for 10 min. Then somebody comes and says that I owe them $350... I just give her a mighty filthy look.. and she says.. oh that is right, you didn't break your lease. NO I DIDN'T - TRY AGAIN - AND A BIT HARDER THIS TIME!!

Next thing I get presented with a check of half a weeks rent! Win for me!:)

Then onto the bond issue. Well they say.. we shall just fill out your information on this bond form, then you sign it and we sent it off, and you get your bond back. Great I say, would you mind filling out the amount in that empty box where it says amount? Off she goes again and comes back with the owner of the real estate agency herself. Now the owner explains to me that XXX who did the final inspection, is not at work today because her brother in WA has been in a terrible car accident, so they don't have access to the final inspection paperwork, and surely I can understand that. Hmprfff I say, not pushing the issue.. I will be back on Monday and you'd better have it sorted by then!

I should say that it is the first time I have rented in Australia.. and I honestly did not expect property managers to be so freaking dodgy, maybe I am just a bit naiv! Unfortunately for this real estate agency/property manager, I happen to work with the lady that owns this unit (and they know that) , and guess what I will be telling her tomorrow at work!

Sorry but I just needed to vent! I was absolutely furious on Friday, today I am a bit more calm, but I hate to think how many tenants are being ripped off like that.

If you made it through the post, thank you for reading.. and then perhaps you can tell me if this is normal standard in Australia?

Cheers,
Goldfish

Goldfish, it sounds to me like if you'd dealt with the PM (lady whose brother had a car accident) all the way through, you wouldn't have had an issue. It sounds like it all got stuffed up when she disappeared and nobody else knew what was going on.

It's not great, but I don't think it's worth getting this worked up about. You gotta chill.... it's not good for your health to get so stressed! If you know the landlord, you should have known it would eventually get sorted. I don't understand why you got so upset. :confused:

Good luck with your new home. And maybe take up some yoga. :)

Goldfish,

I could list many stories like yours that have happened to me over the years, unfortunately thats what happens when you rent. There will always be good/bad property managers, same as landlords, and tennants. Unfortunately I haven't had very many GOOD experiences with anyone who works in a real estate office, but such is life. If you hate it so much then work your a$$ off, save for a deposit, and buy your own place.

Only 4 months until I move into mine, I cannot wait :)

Goldfish,

If you hate it so much then work your a$$ off, save for a deposit, and buy your own place.

Goldfish has done that already, it's in the first line of his post. I don't think it is unreasonable for him (or her) to be pissed off at being given the run around. To answer your question Goldfish, unfortunately this sort of thing isn't all that unusual. While some PM's aren't all that good I would think the majority do the best they can given they have a pretty thankless job. They cop it from both sides and are paid crap. Ours is worth her weight in gold, she is really on the ball, answers phone calls immediately and keeps us informed, but when she is away sick or whatever the others let her down terribly. Phone calls are never answered, nothing is followed up until she gets back. No wonder she needs time off occasionally.

I tell him that by all accounts I have been informed by people in his office that a new tenant is moving in that day, and that I have been inconvinienced by carpet cleaners etc. for the unit to be ready for the new tenant, and that I am more than happy to drive around to the unit and physically see for myself whether there is a new tenant or not, and that I am quite happy to come back and pick up the keys to the unit and keep them until 28/02/09 (I am fuming at this point). He says "you do that" and hangs up on me!!!! WTF :mad::mad: NOT HAPPY.

The incompetence is rife:(

I had a similar incident but as a landlord where tenant left early and I was enquiring about the rent until end of lease.

After putting the PM on the spot, he then tried to attack to protect his ego rather than simply dealing with the issues. I then blew him up and read him the riot act whereupon he told me to 'P@@s off' and hung up. What the!!!!

I spoke to the main PM the next day clarifying that everything was in hand and OK (which it was but he couldn't get past to actually find out and tried the BS route instead). Obviously mentioned the reaction from the previous PM but in muted tones on the basis that I want my $1500 in my hot little hand first. Ones its all resolved and monies in the bank I will go PM shopping (again:()

Cheers

PS thay are saying good by to $1700 of management fees

Yes, our former PM, well, I guess PM's because I seemed to have to deal with about four of them; never knew what the other one was doing or saying. One would ring and say the tenant was leaving; a couple of days later another would ring and said he had re-signed; then the original PM rang and asked when I would like to approve returning the bond!

And then I would be sending them accounts to be paid by the tenant, then a couple of days later another PM would ring and ask where it was. Seems they dont have a central file but each PM deals with something and doesnt share it.

This was happening over a period of 18 months; a month ago I got rid of them and now dealing with a lady who is really really good, but a much smaller agency than the 'well known' high profile SA Agent I was dealing with.

I think maybe you might have over-reacted just a tad though!

Goldfish has done that already, it's in the first line of his post. I don't think it is unreasonable for him (or her) to be pissed off at being given the run around. To answer your question Goldfish, unfortunately this sort of thing isn't all that unusual. While some PM's aren't all that good I would think the majority do the best they can given they have a pretty thankless job. They cop it from both sides and are paid crap. Ours is worth her weight in gold, she is really on the ball, answers phone calls immediately and keeps us informed, but when she is away sick or whatever the others let her down terribly. Phone calls are never answered, nothing is followed up until she gets back. No wonder she needs time off occasionally.

I apologise, it seems that I by the time I got to the bottom of Goldfish's post I forgot the first sentance :eek:

You are right though, being given the run around like this isn't uncommon.

Goldfish,

Your post is chock full of incorrect assumptions and beliefs and false unrealised expectations. You have set yourself up for high blood pressure, and it has come through a real winner.

Ok, so I have been renting...it was a 3 month lease until 28/02/09.

No worries....good stuff.

My house was vacant the first weekend of Feb so I decided to move in over that weekend.

This appears to be ultra important to you, but is completely irrelevant to the material aspects of the rental contract being discussed. This is where your troubles and stress diverge from your responsibilities. As with most tenants, you assume that because you physically move out you expect not to have to pay rent. This expectation is wrong and goes to the heart of your stress levels.

I gave notice to the property manager at the beginning of Feb, that I would be terminating the rental by the 28/02/09 i.e. by the end of the contract. All fine..

Absolutely - good move. Financially responsible to the 28th, and that is probably the last written communication the PM agency and all who work there has from you. This is what they have to rely on.

property manager calls me to say....I say....Property manager calls me to ask

If you were experienced in contract law you would know all of this verbal tennis is quite irrelevant. "he said she said" games are quite fruitless.

the sooner the better for me too, because then I would save about 2.5weeks rent. Sweet I think, that is definitely worth saving.

Sweet you think, but not quite true, and certainly not confirmed in writing by the other party to the contract. Your unfounded expectation right here has set you up for a big fall when the reality didn't come through. 2.5 weeks expectation whittled down to 0.5 weeks. Your expectation was unfounded and too high.

So I call the carpet cleaner that the property manager prefers..

I don't know why you relinquished your choice and responsibility to the PM and then get stroppy when they are busy.

Ok Ok I say and spend another half hour of my work time to find a different carpet cleaner for the next day.

This is your responsibility as the exiting tenant. Don't think you are putting yourself out or doing anyone any favours or anyone owes you anything.

So carpets are clean, unit is clean, and at final inspection everything is spotless (property managers words).

So, once again, you have simply met your responsibility as an exiting tenant. Do not run around looking for a pat on the back.

Bloke on the phone says.. ah no, we don't have a new tenant for that property and you will have to pay rent until 28/02/09

Ahhhh, this is finally where verbal promises and unfounded expectations don't quite cut the mustard up against written notices.

My goodness, this is self deluded madness. Look at your contractual responsibilities and simply fulfill them.

I hate to think how many tenants are being ripped off like that.

Once again, you dug an enormous big hole for yourself by focussing on your personal priorities instead of your contractual obligations as a tenant. The only person who was "ripped off" was the lowly paid PM personnel for having to put up with your childish semantics whilst trying to conclude a real estate contract / transaction.

Unfortunately, this habit of leaping to whatever conclusion one wishes to take to further one's own end despite any paperwork to the contrary is becoming more and more common in society.

Giving people "both barrels" does absolutely nothing IMO. As you mature, you will find that "both barrels" doesn't work at all when conducting large contractual transactions.

Good day goldfish.

TPFKAD: smartass?
if there is a new tenant physically present in the property she is not obliged to pay anything, since they already collected rent from the new tenant

I have on most occasions enjoyed your positive and encouraging posts DAZZ............I hope you feel better tommorrow........I really do.

Cheers.

Chrisv.

TPFKAD: smartass?

That's an incredibly mature an insightful comment. Well done.

if there is a new tenant physically present in the property she is not obliged to pay anything, since they already collected rent from the new tenant

I re-read goldfish's post (did you ??) and could not locate anywhere in that diatribe where the PM confirmed such that you could remove the word "if" from the front of your statement.

Therefore, everything that you have written after the word "if" is irrelevant.

sure did

considering that goldfish got a check for half a week's rent, the fact that the argument was about 2.5 week's rent and tenants usually pay 2 weeks upfront, i'd say there is a good chance the new tenant is already there, or the PM would ask her for another 2 week's rent instead of giving her the check.
so the 'if' stays there until goldfish says it's not the case ;)

Hm ok lets see. TPFKAD............. actually I was quite happy paying rent until the 28/02/09 even though I moved out earlier. I never expected otherwise. I was not trying to get out of paying rent.. trust me I knew exactly what my obligations were..

I did get a letter from Property Manager saying if they had found a tenant before the 28/02/09 I would not have to pay rent for the period after the new tenant had moved in.

My problem is that they tried to make me pay rent even though a new tenant has moved in. There is no doubt in my mind that the real estate agent was trying to double dip!

It may have been bad communication in the office, but quite frankly that is not what it came across as.

I take the advise of everybody who says I should calm down.. yoga might not be my style though.

I was asking the question whether this happens a lot, but instead of getting an answer I feel that I am being told off for being upset about the way I have been treated.

Anyway. I will leave it at that.
GF

I was asking the question whether this happens a lot, but instead of getting an answer I feel that I am being told off for being upset about the way I have been treated.
I haven't been in this exact situation, but I frequently experience far more serious incompetence than this, unfortunately. :eek: It's just part of dealing with fallible humans, I'm afraid. You can rage about it, or accept it.

I wasn't "ticking you off" so much as highlighting that you are the one who suffers when you get so upset by what is really one of the smaller frustrations of life. Should you accept it? - no. Address it? - yes - but do it calmly and rationally, and without so much emotional investment in either the process of resolving it, or the outcome.

I used to get worked up like this in my 20s - pretty often, actually. Then I realised that I enjoyed life much more, and usually obtained a better outcome, when I learned to just keep calm. :) I still have occasional lapses ;) but I sincerely suggest that learning to keep cool in difficult circumstances is a skill worth cultivating.

i am in different situation but similarly pissed with agent trying to make me pay exit fee of contract which he tricked me into signing believing that i will have a tennent 2 weekends ago, i've bought the house a month 22 days ago and its been vacant ever since, iam really pissed off with PM today he brings some dopey tennant around to try and get me to sign a countract with this tennent who said its his girlfriend thats goin to rent my house not him WTF. then to finished it off i just told him to get his girlfriend to call me tomorow otherwise everything is off and i will go skitz at this PM for trying to fcking ripp me off... why would i have to pay exit fee (2 weeks worth of rent) if he couldnt freaking rent out my house for almost 4 weeks already... WTF...

The last house I rented I paid the bond, signed the lease, got the keys, went to the house to move in and the old tenant and all her furniture were still there.

I had to stay at a motel 2 days until she moved out.

Giving people "both barrels" does absolutely nothing IMO. As you mature, you will find that "both barrels" doesn't work at all when conducting large contractual transactions.

Haha so true, i run a store and when people come in with that sort of attitude it makes me less likely to help them not more likely, and they will usually find themselves banned if they continue to abuse people.

I understand that things are frustrating sometimes, but people need to understand that mistakes are made by everyone and communication problems will and do occur and sometimes you just need to have a bit of patience to let people do their jobs.

Back