I'm Ignoring Advice from Now Onwards.....

Good to see that one about never buying a new car....

I've been bangin' on about that strategy for ever.....even if you are business owner with all the tax perks associated with it.

Perfect :). Articles like these are great :). They keep a healthy supply of tenants and employees :).

It is waaaay to risky to buy a house, build a business so keep on at the J.O.B and rent the house and cry about how the "rch get richer "

Perfect :). Articles like these are great :). They keep a healthy supply of tenants and employees :).

It is waaaay to risky to buy a house, build a business so keep on at the J.O.B and rent the house and cry about how the "rich get richer "
And how lucky they/we are. ;)

Yeah , buy a 2nd hand car. You will be taking a punt. Repair costs could see you paying more than a new car. New small cars are so cheap and have many years of warranty. I think they are hard to beat.

Yeah , buy a 2nd hand car. You will be taking a punt. Repair costs could see you paying more than a new car. New small cars are so cheap and have many years of warranty. I think they are hard to beat.

I agree with this. I've bought three small new cars now and had many years of cheap and reliable motoring.

Yeah , buy a 2nd hand car. You will be taking a punt. Repair costs could see you paying more than a new car.
If you buy privately; possibly, yes.

If you buy a 1 or 2 year old car through a dealer you are relatively safe - as safe as buying a second hand car ever can be - and still have some of the warranty.

I agree with this. I've bought three small new cars now and had many years of cheap and reliable motoring.
So have I...two brand new Hyundais, one brand new Corolla Seca. Loved all 3 cars, but after a few months...just another second hand car. Shoulda bought the 6 months old version and saved an IP deposit. ;)

And, having done both (new and sec hand) quite a few times since first car back in 1977, I know what I will always do.

Last edited:
If you buy privately; possibly, yes.

If you buy a 1 or 2 year old car through a dealer you are relatively safe - as safe as buying a second hand car ever can be - and still have some of the warranty.

You always argue to buy 1 or 2 year old car.
Q1. How can a non mechanic person ever be confident about the quality? NRMA (or similar) reports costs money & time.
Q2. How easy is it to find a 1 year old non white car?
Q3. Can you give an example (say < 35k)?

You always argue to buy 1 or 2 year old car.
Q1. How can a non mechanic person ever be confident about the quality? NRMA (or similar) reports costs money & time.
Q2. How easy is it to find a 1 year old non white car?
Q3. Can you give an example (say < 35k)?

1. An RACV inspection costs about $200 approx from memory. A qualified mechanic would do the same for you too. We do it from time to time in our workshop; we charge $200. Most people don't wanna pay it. Fine.

But folk think it is a 5 min job. It isn't. If you want a thorough inspection with a proper report and honest advice, it takes time, and you've gotsta payze da munnie..

We sold our second hand car when we were moving back from the USA. The buyer had an inspection done by her mechanic; we even paid for it to give her confidence it was ok.

When you consider that you might save several thousand dollars, it's usually money well spent. This is of course after you do a bit of serious looking at the car you are intending to buy before getting to the serious stage of booking an independent inspection.

People get building inspections with houses; why not cars?

2. Getting various colours in second hand cars is not hard from my experience.

3. No. Do your own leg work.

3. No. Do your own leg work.
In another thread I showed why brand new 2013 Honda CRV was better than 2010 Honda CRV with actual facts.

Here is another example using '2012 Toyota Corolla ZRE152R Ascent Sport' on carsales. Here are the cheapest I could find in each category.

1 year old: 10,510km is $19,900 - Excluding on-road costs
VS
Brand new: $22,400 Drive Away No More to Pay
VS
2011 model - 91,106 km - $17,888 - Excluding on-road costs

There is a transfer fee on the older cars as well!

I know which way I would go!

You are such a stirrer Devank.

Who would want a 2011 model car with 91,106 klms ? No way.

We bought a three year old Subaru Liberty in Atlantic Blue, 32,000 klms, for $22000 from the Subi dealer. Colour is awesome. Usual new price is between $36K and $39K depending on how well one negotiates.

Bought 2yr old Toyota Corolla Seca Hatch 3 years ago, with 35k on the clock for $16,800. Never missed a beat and as tough as nails. Oh - and it was Metallic Charcoal.

Neice bought brand new Honda Jazz for $10k more - total lemon that has been back for serious repairs 3 times.

Is this thread now officially off track?

You are such a stirrer Devank.
I'm a bit guilty of that... see I don't always disagree :)

Who would want a 2011 model car with 91,106 klms ? No way.
I didn't purposely picked that one. I simply sorted by price and picked the cheapest on each category.

I guess it all comes down to how much you know about the product, how much risk you are willing to take and how much you value your time.

To me, one step older model but still new gives better value for money.

In another thread I showed why brand new 2013 Honda CRV was better than 2010 Honda CRV with actual facts.
Ok; one more time, just for you...

Buy the "insert-whatever-you-like-here" car at the 1 year old, or 2 year old age.

In your case; buy the 2013 Honda CR-V next year...

It should still have very low KM's, still be virtually brand new - if looked after (and that is what you are looking for - the looked after ones).

But; thousands cheaper than brand new.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

1 year old: 10,510km is $19,900 - Excluding on-road costs
What did it eventually sell for?

Last edited:
I'm a bit guilty of that... see I don't always disagree :)

I didn't purposely picked that one. I simply sorted by price and picked the cheapest on each category.

I guess it all comes down to how much you know about the product, how much risk you are willing to take and how much you value your time.

To me, one step older model but still new gives better value for money.

We had a second hand falcon walgon and had problem after problem. It wasn't just the money to fix it, the main problem was worried about being stuck somewhere.

We bought a new nissan xtrail 8 years ago and haven't had a problem with it.

We bought peace of mind.

I work away a lot and didn't want my wife to have to worry about over charging mechanics when we had problems.

It made sense to us. We will never buy a second hand car again.

Ok; one more time, just for you...

Buy the "insert-whatever-you-like-here" car at the 1 year old, or 2 year old age.

In your case; buy the 2013 Honda CR-V next year...

It should still have very low KM's, still be virtually brand new - if looked after (and that is what you are looking for - the looked after ones).

But; thousands cheaper than brand new.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

What did it eventually sell for?

Can I ask, why do people sell a car which is only 1 year old? Probably a very dumb question

Back