Immigrant to Australia

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an Australian and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an Australian, and nothing but an Australian.... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an Australian, but something else also, isn't an Australian at all. We have room for but one flag, the Australian flag.... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the Australian people.'

Edmund Barton

I wonder what is the test nowadays to migrate to Australia?

I was recently involved in a survey which found that the biggest reason migrants become Australian citizens is for a sense of belonging. We have a community that people want to become part of.

Just because someone identifies with another culture doesnt mean that they aren't also 100% committed to Australia.

If we followed Edmund Bartons statement to the letter, we'd all be living in bark huts and living a nomadic hunter-gatherer life. Very few people who live in Australia can say they are an original Australian.

I believe that what makes Australia such a great place is the many parts of the world which have contributed elements of their cultures and beliefs to our society. My parents immigrated from Western Europe in the 50s. Prior to that people came from various parts of the British empire. The 70s through 90s saw a lot of people coming from various parts of Asia and Eastern Europe. These days people coming from various parts of the Middle East (through various means) seems to be in the papers and politics on a daily basis. Of course I speak in very general terms.

I've traveled to a few parts of the world. Australia is (dispite some faults), is the most diverse, tollerant and friendly society I've ever been. If people come here with that in hearts and minds I've got no problem with them regardless of where they come from. What they bring with them is part of what makes this country great.

If we followed Edmund Bartons statement to the letter, we'd all be living in bark huts and living a nomadic hunter-gatherer life. Very few people who live in Australia can say they are an original Australian.

I don't think Barton's statement supports such a conclusion. He was envisioning immigrantion will not lead to antithesis of allegiance and cohesion of the Australian polity. IMO, quite commendable aspirations I would think subject to refinement to take account of the multifacets of immigrant strata.

I believe that what makes Australia such a great place is the many parts of the world which have contributed elements of their cultures and beliefs to our society. My parents immigrated from Western Europe in the 50s. Prior to that people came from various parts of the British empire. The 70s through 90s saw a lot of people coming from various parts of Asia and Eastern Europe. These days people coming from various parts of the Middle East (through various means) seems to be in the papers and politics on a daily basis. Of course I speak in very general terms.

I've traveled to a few parts of the world. Australia is (dispite some faults), is the most diverse, tollerant and friendly society I've ever been. If people come here with that in hearts and minds I've got no problem with them regardless of where they come from. What they bring with them is part of what makes this country great.

Unless I am misunderstanding Barton, this early statement appears to show his opposition to any 'white only' immigration policy.

Unless I am misunderstanding Barton, this early statement appears to show his opposition to any 'white only' immigration policy.

Barton was quite fond of white only immigration...

He came up with the dictation test which was used as a tool of weeding out non-whites.

And then there are quotes like this little chestnut:

""I do not think that the doctrine of the equality of man was really ever intended to include racial equality. There is no racial equality. There is that basic inequality. These races are, in comparison with white races… Unequal and inferior."

He drew a lot of inspiration from the US situation with African Americans, warning that Australia taking in other races would draw similar 'problems' to Australia.

I've only watched parts 1 & 2 so far which is interesting

Looking fwd to a version where four Aussies go to India also :D

Dumb, Drunk & Racist

Whether we like it or not, Australia has an image problem overseas. But there’s one country that seems to have a poorer view of Australians than any other - India. Journalist Joe Hildebrand sets out on a pilgrimage to Delhi and beyond to examine this anti-Australian sentiment.

While in India Joe meets the four locals who will join him on a road trip across Australia. As a newsreader and journalist for a Hindi network, Gurmeet Chaudhary was shocked by the negative stories appearing regularly in the Indian media. Call centre worker Mahima Bhardwaj takes Joe through the unpleasant encounters she’s had with Aussies over the phone. Amer Singh is a third year law student in Chandigargh who decided it was safer to stay in India to study. Radhika Budhwar advises Indian students where they should study overseas; she hasn’t recommended Australia for the last five years. All agree to risk life and limb to visit our reviled and dangerous country.

Joe kicks off the Australian tour by mixing the glitz and glamour of Sydney Harbour with Australia’s most renowned beach, Bondi. The travellers quickly become seduced by the beauty Down Under. But before his guests relax too much, Joe stops them in their tracks with a provocative mural plastered on an inner city wall. The mural - which reads, ‘Say No to Burqas’ - sparks off the first heated debate… and the Indians aren’t the only ones upset by the message the mural carries.

Looking fwd to a version where four Aussies go to India also :D
That would be a life time show! Well... if you have enough money to bribe their politicians :)

One Canadian asked me what I liked the most about Australia. Honestly food came to my mind first. We have such an authentic diverse variety of food thanks to all different cultures.

English-GetOut.jpg

Sound about right to you Frankie?

Edit: Wow, that's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. We live in a very different world than that white bread cracker lived in. Borders are virtually non-existent today.

Multiculturalism is alive and well in this country and I wouldn't want it to be any other way.

I figure, as long as a dude is cool, doesn't hurt anyone, minds his own business, acts within the confines of the law, he can speak whatever damn language he wants, for all I care.

Judging by the abhorrent spelling of a large number of posters on this forum, there are a lot of 'Orstrayans' that have trouble with English.

Goodness help those for whom it is a second language.

P.S. Anyone else find it hilariously ironic that 'Francesco' is harping on about using English?

sometimes I wonder if those who are intolerant of migrahts have ever spent time in a nonEnglish speaking culture for any length of time.
Being surrounded by people you dont understand is exhausting, and its so easy to look for english speaking people just so you can relax and know that you will be understood.
Its just the same for non-english speaking migrants (and even english speaking migrants) its nice to be in an environment where you can relax and dont need to worry if you are doing something offensive or rude etc.
Every time I go to Japan, I get headaches, cause i'm concenrating so hard to read the Japanese signs and ads.
and I'm always embarrassed at how other people in other cultures speak multiple languages, but so few aussies can. myself included, except a few Japanese words

sometimes I wonder if those who are intolerant of migrahts have ever spent time in a nonEnglish speaking culture for any length of time.
Being surrounded by people you dont understand is exhausting, and its so easy to look for english speaking people just so you can relax and know that you will be understood.
Its just the same for non-english speaking migrants (and even english speaking migrants) its nice to be in an environment where you can relax and dont need to worry if you are doing something offensive or rude etc.
Every time I go to Japan, I get headaches, cause i'm concenrating so hard to read the Japanese signs and ads.
and I'm always embarrassed at how other people in other cultures speak multiple languages, but so few aussies can. myself included, except a few Japanese words

Very true. I feel quite stressed when I go to certain parts of Sydney wherein there are very few white people, English is rarely heard and signs at most shops are in a foreign language.

signs at most shops are in a foreign language.
I have never seen a shop name written alone in other language. I think having signs or menus in other langue is a bit offensive. At lease councils should ban that :)

Update: I meant 'other language alone is a bit offensive'

Last edited:
I sell real estate for a living, so get to spend time in many peoples homes and I find it almost like a mini adventure each and every time I step foot into a home where the owners have come from overseas. I would almost feel it would be a waste if they didn't bring their culture with them & tried to be someone different just to please. I for one wouldn't like everyone or every homes or business to be the same. I most enjoy the different styles of coffee that is offered to me & are thankful when I'm offered something different than the quick and easy instant crap from the supermarket. Also on occasions I have been privileged to witness how their culture differs to ours and how their families interact differently when making big decisions especially when going through the process of purchasing real estate.

I have never seen a shop name written alone in other language. I think having signs or menus in other langue is a bit offensive. At lease councils should ban that :)

I think that there are many parts of Sydney wherein shopfront signs are written in a language other than English and the shopkeeper's English is not the best. The clientele of these shops often do not speak English well.

I do a lot of my shopping at Asian grocers. Lots of non-English signs and non white people and whatnot. Very scary. Sometimes I get so confused and stressed out I fall apart and end up crying in the corner. No, just kidding.

Asian grocers are the best. Cheap, delicious foods not available in whitey stores, the people are nice, it's overall an enjoyable experience. Recently a friend of mine called me an 'egg' - you know, white on the outside, yellow on the inside, because apparently I eat food only Asian people would eat and white people wouldn't go near.

Sorry but the speaking English is a must. Doesn't have to be fluent, but people need to give it a go.

I know 2 Germans - migrated here in the 60s when they were in their 30's. Hardly spoke a word of English. In the 20 odd years I've known them the only time they speak German is when entertaining German visitors. They speak English when they are around the house or in public.

Let me put it this way- if I went over to Sudan annd refused to speak the local lingo- that shows an arrogance and an unwillingness to integrate. Why is it racist/redneck/bad form to expect some reciprocity?

But for many our generous social security system seems the main desire to move here so they can remit funds by Western Union or Hawala back to the old county. These people do not add to our society and quite frankly are unwelcome. If they are not prepared to get on board then go to somewhere where they will fit in.

Speaking English, or at least giving it a proper go is not too high a bar to set.

Oh... and obseve the local laws...not the imported religious ones.

Sorry but the speaking English is a must. Doesn't have to be fluent, but people need to give it a go.

I know 2 Germans - migrated here in the 60s when they were in their 30's. Hardly spoke a word of English. In the 20 odd years I've known them the only time they speak German is when entertaining German visitors. They speak English when they are around the house or in public.

Let me put it this way- if I went over to Sudan annd refused to speak the local lingo- that shows an arrogance and an unwillingness to integrate. Why is it racist/redneck/bad form to expect some reciprocity?

But for many our generous social security system seems the main desire to move here so they can remit funds by Western Union or Hawala back to the old county. These people do not add to our society and quite frankly are unwelcome. If they are not prepared to get on board then go to somewhere where they will fit in.

Speaking English, or at least giving it a proper go is not too high a bar to set.

Oh... and obseve the local laws...not the imported religious ones.

So, we can ignore any laws from a judeo-christian background then? And follow ATSI traditional law? Awesome. I am so spearing my annoying co-worker in the thigh.

I work with a few expat poms and have also worked in the Middle East. The amount of people over there (English, South Africans and Australians mainly) who refuse to
a) not drink alcohol
b) refuse to observe local customs
c) don't bother learning the language is astounding.

But because they live in expat enclaves they figure they don't need to.

Any community made up of people from another country are in a similar position. Sometimes it is easier to have some people to talk to whilst you are learning the language, and to have some things that remind you of home.

Very true. I feel quite stressed when I go to certain parts of Sydney wherein there are very few white people, English is rarely heard and signs at most shops are in a foreign language.

Given your username, I can't tell whether you're being facetious or not.

As an aside, I've noticed people no longer complain about Western Europeans failing to integrate. Some who have been here for oodles of decades still struggle to hold a basic conversation in English and their shop signs are sometimes written in their mother tongue, etc., but no one seems to mind. In fact, people tend to like the European element, it makes us feel less 'Oi, Bruce', especially in Melbourne where we pride ourselves on being oh so 'European'.

Begs the question, is the 'assimilate or leave' brigade more concerned with racial homogeneity than cultural homogeneity?

Back