Importing vehicles from the US

With the AUD climbing higher against the USD the temptation of picking up some cheap toys from the US and bringing them over here is growing.

Has anyone dealt with any international freight companies in the past that they'd recommend? I'd be looking at bringing across a couple of jetskis and a motorbike or two; and would love to bring in a 172! I'm sure that I could easily fill up a 40" container.

So far, the first few quotes I've had have been pretty over the top, so any advice/information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

What is a 172?

I have been daydreaming about buying a boat over there and sailing it home one day. They were already cheaper there before parity but just keep getting more affordable.

Perhaps the AUD will keep rising? :)

Hi Simon,

I also think about boats. Had friends look into this before they bought a Catalina 35 in Australia. The more I look the more I realise that (1) its going to take about 6 months for a leisurely sail from US to Australia (I suppose you could always have it shipped) (2) The boat will need to be really seaworthy. Have been reading that Catalina aren't the best ocean crossing boats (3) You are very dependent on your mechanical/electrical/diesel engine knowledge should anything need to be fixed on the way (4) You are dependent on your crew-although autohelm/radar/gps makes things a lot easier.

About 13 years ago I looked into shipping a second hand car from Hong Kong to Australia. The shipping costs were very low. I think about $1600. The tax/duty issues on entry to Australia meant you had to be the registered owner of the vehicle in Hong Kong for at least 12 months. Am not sure whether a person on a 3 months vistors visa (renewed) could register a car in Hong Kong and if so whether 12 months on visitor visas was enough to avoid duty payable on landing in Australia. Also when you hire the container you are responsible for packing it. If you are clever you will pack the container with soft items that cushion any bumps and that you might be able to resell in Australia.

To give you an idea I had sold a second hand (5 years old) Mazda Astina for $15k before I left for Hong Kong. In Hong Kong same second hand car sold for about $3k. As a generalisation the Chinese don't like older second hand cars-anything over 2 years old. Second hand Porsches (at least a more expensive car) would be the go now. Also unlike US cars in Hong Kong are right hand drive.

Last edited:
When importing from overseas you will most likely have to go through your transport dept. for compliance plates, possibly engineered depending on the vehicle etc. This can cost thousands. One of my bosses owns an importing business on the side and brings in Japanese sports cars, he pays around 3k a pop to get them Aus. legal. Then theres import costs, 5% tax iirc etc.

There are companies around who can provide a streamlined service for you, might save money, headaches and possibly cheaper.

Transport departments can be a headache, my car restoration project nearly stalled over compliance plates and engineering red tape, but I just got off having to do the lot because the car was produced in '68 and therefore can be exempt :)

172 = Cessna 172

I would imagine that jetskis come under a different category to cars etc. There's a mob on the Gold Coast currently bringing in skis from the US and I couldn't see any compliance details on them when I was there last.
Worse case scenario, we've got a dam on one of our properties that's big enough to ski on so wouldn't have to worry about registering it. Same goes with the bikes, I was looking at dirt/trail bikes rather than something road registered.

With the jetskis, a brand new one (of the model I'm chasing) in Aust costs around $22,000+. I have seen them selling in the US for just under $10,000. 08 models are selling for around $5-6000 and in Aust they still go for $13-14,000.

Just make sure you don't dabble in Motor Vehicles unless you know what you're doing. I don't specifically know about jet skis and boats, however the motor vehicle importation laws changed a few months ago and if the vehicle isn't imported EXACTLY the same way it left the factory then it can no longer be imported.

Consider a 1950's-1960's car - if it's not wearing factory fitted wheels it won't pass customs. If the vehicle has been modified (even if the modifications meet Australian Standards) it won't pass customs because it fails the factory test. Funny thing is, if you buy and import an original, feel free to pack the vehicle with the mods you intend to fit - that's perfectly fine.

With these law changes we've been advised that lead times have increased by around 12 weeks because of the paperwork process and backlog. I've also heard of several imported Classic Mustangs not meeting the new laws being turned around at the ports.

There is some lobbying to reverse the laws, given the huge impact on the Australian Automotive market but at this stage it is what it is. My advice to you would be to contact a professional to make sure that jet skis and boats are excluded so that what you're doing isn't going to cost more than the $$ you may save with a favourable currency exchange.

My plans to import another car have changed from a 1960's restored Classic to something far more modern.

Goodluck
Buddybee

With the jetskis, a brand new one (of the model I'm chasing) in Aust costs around $22,000+. I have seen them selling in the US for just under $10,000. 08 models are selling for around $5-6000 and in Aust they still go for $13-14,000.

it's a joke isn't it. the price of cars similarly. and clothes

bit of messing around importing cars...depends on the age.

You must first apply for an vehicle impiort approval.

Compliance plates to fully identify the car must be on the vehicle or you are no hope.

You will need to get the VIN registered in Australia s well....all time consuming stuff so do the homework first before buying.

Emissions stuff can also be an issue...the list goes on and on.

if it was easy everyone would be doing it !

Best bet if your serious is to get up to date into from Customs...I think each states law will differ slightly when trying to register....

20 ft container from say the Us to here is cheap as.........thats all you will need.

Do your research first though cause not all vehicles can be registered here easily...

what does get up my nose is jap imports have hardly moved in price the last 12 mths....................importers are making a killing with new vehicle profits..

compare the USd with the AUD.....Most goods on the international market are paid in USD so obviously the consumer is still being fleeced not only with duties but now from the manufacturers who are importing these vehicles....

I have personally imported 7 cars now from Japan.
Rule of thumb...what ever you pay for the car FOB, double it, and that is how much it will cost you in total to have it on-road over here in Australia.

I have never imported from the US, but I have heard that as they are left hand steering, they have to be converted to rhs for compliance. Someone else may be able to clarify this.

Also, you have to consider the fact that if the car was released in Australia in full volume, you won't be able to import that particular vehicle.

Boods

do you make any money out of it Boods or is it just a fun thing to do? or do you at least get a couple of years of free motoring?

do you make any money out of it Boods or is it just a fun thing to do? or do you at least get a couple of years of free motoring?

I usually *cough* break even *cough*
It is kind of fun being able to drive a different sports car every year...
Got one for sale now if anyone is interested...V35 Skyline Premium - full pimped leather interior :)
I will post the link up if anyone is interested...

Boods

We imported a 1959 Cadillac from the States earlier this year with this company http://www.schumachercargo.com/. They were very good, arranged pick up and paperwork. Cost us USD$1875 from Little Rock, CA to the port in Syd, Australia. There were other charges but that was the shipping cost.

Here is a pic - fresh form the spray booth just yesterday! Still a fair bit to go.

Attachments

• 59caddy.jpg
    59caddy.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 113
GreenTreeFrog,

Thank you so much for the link, that's the best price I've heard so far! A guy on the coast quoted $5K for transporting a jetski; it still would have been cheaper than picking up one in Oz, but I was sure that it could have been done cheaper than that.

Thanks for everyone's help. Spoke to the jetski shop and it seems that it's just a simple trip to the Dept of Transport to register both the ski and trailer. Will call them later on this afternoon to confirm.
It'll be even easier with a bike, no need for registration!

Nice Caddy too btw!

We imported a 1959 Cadillac from the States earlier this year with this company http://www.schumachercargo.com/. They were very good, arranged pick up and paperwork. Cost us USD$1875 from Little Rock, CA to the port in Syd, Australia. There were other charges but that was the shipping cost.

Here is a pic - fresh form the spray booth just yesterday! Still a fair bit to go.

What a coincidence - we imported a Caddy too. We were going to import another one - highly modified though, but these new laws stopped us in our tracks.

Cheers
Buddybee

as far as i know it's only pre 89 vehicles that are subject to no mods law.

if you want to bring in something newer it should be ok.

So these new laws prohibit you importing say a 1932 Ford Roadster unless it has all the original bits? Very hard to find an original one with all the bits these days.

What about importing bodies, chassis, wheels, axles, steering etc as parts then building the car here in Australia?

Regards

I have a mate who is an Aussie who lives in LA and he has a dealers licence in QLD. He ships stuff over all the time.

Probably the question is what do you want them to do - source the equipment and ship it or do you source it and they do the shipping for you.

BTW I think he's got an original 66(?) Triumph hes bringing over with about 8000 original miles if he hasnt already... could be a Norton.

Back