Importing vehicles from the US

Icarus - $5000 just to import a jetski! :eek: That is ridiculous. I am a huge researcher and got various prices as well - this company came up best. It was USD$1500 for the import, USD$375 for the pick up from Little Rock to the port. I have the other charges we were subjected to if you want some more info. They are port, cleaning, quarantine etc charges.

BuddyBee - what model and where did you get it? My husband researched for quite a few years, waiting for the right car and the right time whe we had the cash to get one. He found this one on Ebay. It is incredibly straight, only a little rust in one floor pan and came with all the bits including original accessories, unbroken steering wheel horn etc... even the electric seats still work! It has only had a few owners and spent the last 25 years in a guys shed. It was an absolute golden find.

So these new laws prohibit you importing say a 1932 Ford Roadster unless it has all the original bits? Very hard to find an original one with all the bits these days.

What about importing bodies, chassis, wheels, axles, steering etc as parts then building the car here in Australia?

Regards

If you import as parts, shouldn't be a problem iirc. However, if you mod your vehicle, when it comes time to rego it they will deem it not to be a classic car as it deviated from standard and you will have to change it to right hand drive and wont be able to get it registered as a classic vehicle.

So these new laws prohibit you importing say a 1932 Ford Roadster unless it has all the original bits? Very hard to find an original one with all the bits these days.

What about importing bodies, chassis, wheels, axles, steering etc as parts then building the car here in Australia?

Regards

Impossible is a better term! It doesn't need to be original as such - it can be restored provided it's got the same parts it left the factory in. Parts are easier. What is crazy about this, is that you can still do the mods - they just need to be done here not overseas.

The vehicle we looked at had non factory suspension, and had the door handles shaved; while both legal here we were advised that we wouldn't be permitted to import it because of the rules - but we could find an original, import it, then make those modifications. Complete and utter madness if you ask me.

BuddyBee - what model and where did you get it? My husband researched for quite a few years, waiting for the right car and the right time whe we had the cash to get one. He found this one on Ebay. It is incredibly straight, only a little rust in one floor pan and came with all the bits including original accessories, unbroken steering wheel horn etc... even the electric seats still work! It has only had a few owners and spent the last 25 years in a guys shed. It was an absolute golden find.

We have a 1967 Fleetwood Limosine - one of only 800 or so made. It's a tank being around 7 meters in length. Like you, our vehicle had only one owner so it was immaculate. We've done some work to the engine and chassis, but haven't done anything to the paint or interior. The seats could do with a re-cover (we can still get the original apholstery), but with 3 kids under 10 we'll leave that for a few years.

We haven't had to touch the electrics - electric seats, and windows. It has 2 radios and air conditioners - 1 for the front and 1 for the back, and has "dicky" seats that fold out to seat a total 10 people. That said it looks hilarious with a baby seat in the back.

We went to the Caddilac Car Club Nationals in Bathurst back in March, and would recommend when you get yours registered you look at joining your state club. The day trips have been great, and it's great to catch up with other enthusiests.

We've had our car for around 4-5 years now, and it's now time to get another.

Cheers
Buddybee

as far as i know it's only pre 89 vehicles that are subject to no mods law.

if you want to bring in something newer it should be ok.

quoted because it's entirely back to front.

any car pre 01/01/89 does not need to meet SEVS regulatons. this is why i can get an late 1988 R32 GTR fully modified into the country legally, but a 1990 one i can't, even though they're the same car.

http://rvcs.dotars.gov.au/circulars/0-2-12.htm

if you live overseas for 12 months+ and had a car registered in your name, you can also bring this back with no SEVS requirement regardless of age.

however, trying to get a jap import pre 1989 is quite hard, as most importers are also a registered workshop (RAWS workshop) therefore there's not a lot of money in it for them.

*edit* buddybee - you can't import a modded 32 ford because amercans don't modifiy the standard chassis anymore. they use full repro chassis which need seperate NHRA certification to use in australia....almost none comply because they're set up for IFS or incorportae pre-rolled kicks etc. there are big big NHRA national regulations that hotrodders have to comply with now, you can't just stick a 26 tub on a hilux/L300 chassis anymore and call it a hot-rod.

this si why they can't be imported, because if we have to use original local x members, then TECHNICALLY it's a local car and then TECHNICALLY it's outside SEVS regulations to bring one in.

you're operating in that post 49 to pre 89 muddy waters of imports. i can't comment on the caddy situation, but i know mah sheeyat when it comes to rods and jappers.

*edit*edit* and thanks for the shipping link :)

Last edited:
quoted because it's entirely back to front.

any car pre 01/01/89 does not need to meet SEVS regulatons. this is why i can get an late 1988 R32 GTR fully modified into the country legally, but a 1990 one i can't, even though they're the same car.

what does SEVS have to do with anything?

you can get your 1990 in as well, you'll just have to strip the modded parts and put stock ones in for compliance, and swap them back after you pass your compliance.

it's just that cars manufactured before 1989 have to meet the ADR requirements for year of manufacture, plus admin costs are higher under SEVS.

that's why 15 y.o rule was so popular, and that's why government changed it to be pre-89 cars, as there are some good jap cars starting from 1990

the difference between what you can import and what you can do locally comes from import regulations being controlled by federal government, but usage regulations controlled by state government.

so once the car is in and complied, you can do whatever legal mods you like

Just make sure you don't dabble in Motor Vehicles unless you know what you're doing. I don't specifically know about jet skis and boats, however the motor vehicle importation laws changed a few months ago and if the vehicle isn't imported EXACTLY the same way it left the factory then it can no longer be imported.

Consider a 1950's-1960's car - if it's not wearing factory fitted wheels it won't pass customs. If the vehicle has been modified (even if the modifications meet Australian Standards) it won't pass customs because it fails the factory test. Funny thing is, if you buy and import an original, feel free to pack the vehicle with the mods you intend to fit - that's perfectly fine.

With these law changes we've been advised that lead times have increased by around 12 weeks because of the paperwork process and backlog. I've also heard of several imported Classic Mustangs not meeting the new laws being turned around at the ports.

There is some lobbying to reverse the laws, given the huge impact on the Australian Automotive market but at this stage it is what it is. My advice to you would be to contact a professional to make sure that jet skis and boats are excluded so that what you're doing isn't going to cost more than the $$ you may save with a favourable currency exchange.

My plans to import another car have changed from a 1960's restored Classic to something far more modern.

Goodluck
Buddybee

Another thing to remember about bringing in cars - especially the older, classic types - is the ongoing maintenance and availability of spare parts.

It's all very glamourous to think about owning a '55 Chevvy or whatever, but we see a few come through our doors from time to time, and the reality hits home when the owner finds he needs a new radiator, or new ball joonts etc...and they are no longer available.

Then it gets very tough for them; trying to track down spare parts through the various clubs, or on the internet.

i would thing people who import 55 Chevvy would know where to get parts for it....

This *should* be true for a genuine enthusiast. There is almost nothing you cannot buy for the popular yank cars like the shoebox Chevy's and Mustangs etc.

Call Californian Image at Narangba. I have used them to import from the US before. Quite cheap and dead easy.

Thanks for the links, I'm currently looking at a few of those Mustang and Camaro's *drool*.

Anyone want to share a container??? I might even try and squeeze a Jet ski in!

JC

see blue :)

what does SEVS have to do with anything?

everything!

you can get your 1990 in as well, you'll just have to strip the modded parts and put stock ones in for compliance, and swap them back after you pass your compliance.

yes absolutely true. however, if you pick up a modded GTR at auction you then have to source all original pieces to put back on them - can be a real PITA and not as easy as some companies make out.

it's just that cars manufactured before 1989 have to meet the ADR requirements for year of manufacture, plus admin costs are higher under SEVS.

ah i see - this could be why some caddies aren't getting in - sometimes big american muscle is tubbed to take big tyres, fitted with airbags etc and i'm pretty sure these fall outside ADRs.

so once the car is in and complied, you can do whatever legal mods you like

this is as i see it too.

oh to scrap all the protectionist BS in this country... there is always some farmer or GMH blue collar worker to support which means we pay about 2 or 3 times what cars are really worth

Another thing to remember about bringing in cars - especially the older, classic types - is the ongoing maintenance and availability of spare parts.

It's all very glamourous to think about owning a '55 Chevvy or whatever, but we see a few come through our doors from time to time, and the reality hits home when the owner finds he needs a new radiator, or new ball joonts etc...and they are no longer available.

Then it gets very tough for them; trying to track down spare parts through the various clubs, or on the internet.
Your right - it's going to be expensive unless you know where to source parts from or know what you are doing - being in the Automotive industry for us both of those points are covered.

My parents know a guy down your way with almost 100 year old French cars. He needed to replace some flywheel type setup and took it to 3 or 4 places to try and get it fabricated/replaced/made up. No one would touch it - even the custom fabricators. He showed my Dad who is an avid car restorer - Dad has 5 or 6 on the go in various stages of restoration. He also likes to ride a push bike - my Dads response was "I'm sure that is the exact wheel used on a bike chain assembly" and sure enough it was - guess it was easier to share "technology" 100 years ago rather than reinvent the wheel. Actually Marc, you may know one of my Dad's cars - once you've seen it it's unforgettable!. He drives it in Rosebud/Dromana/Safety Beach all the time, it looks like Noddy - 1950 (or 54?) Fiat Topilino painted Red and Yellow just like Noddy - he can't drive it on the freeway because it doesn't go fast enough! But it's fun to watch him drive home up Bayview Rd.

Thanks for the links, I'm currently looking at a few of those Mustang and Camaro's *drool*.

Anyone want to share a container??? I might even try and squeeze a Jet ski in!

JC
Just remember if it's in the years that Aaron mentions that it's FULLY original - no tubs, no mag wheels (unless they came like that from the factory), no engine mods, no shaving of door handles, no new suspension or gearboxes, power steering etc.....effectively at least 90% of "classic" Camaros and Mustangs available for sale in the US won't comply with Australian regulations.

Cheers
Buddybee

hi all
have a look at the 40ft rv market if you want to buy something
they were on thge market around the 3 to 4ook mark now they are giving upwards of 40% of the tag the market is thru the floor
they have 9 and sometimes 12 beds in them
great as a rental
park and rent out they have full oven toilet water the lot
now thats a toy you want to get

Back