In ground pool repair cost

I found a property with an in-ground pool that needs repair.

pool_problem.jpg

The condition of the in-ground pool
1. there is no water in it
2. its height is around 2 meters!! Why is it so deep?
3. there is no tile around the walls. just cement. Has the tiles been ripped?

According to the agent, it just needs some waterproofing done and I will be ok.
It is estimated to be "a few" thousand.
I do not believe that it will cost just "a few" thousands.
I googled and found that it costs around 25k~80k to build an in-ground pool.
Considering the pool has been constructed, the cost might be around 50k mark.

Has anyone done this kind of swimming pool fixing in the past?
How much do I expect to pay for this kind of repair?

Last edited:
From investment point of view, what are yout thoughts about a property with a pool that needs substantial repairs?

1. Bring the pool back to life
- this will probably over capitalize and make it not as good investment
- pool maintenance could be a nightmare in the long run
- pool safety issue for tenants who Have young kids

2. Fill the pool and cover with lawn
- probably still over capitalize as "trucks" of soil needs to pour in the pool to fill it

3. Build a deck above the pool
- probably could be done for "a few" thousand dollars
- wouldn't this look strange?
- do you know anyone who has done this? Under the deck, there is an empty pool

4. Just walk away from this deal
- probably the most sensible decision?
- walk away from a potential headache and a potential opportunity? :)

This is what the pool looks like.
No water in it. It will leak at the side.
I would like to know what works need to be done and how much it might cost to restore it to a working state.
in_ground_pool_problem.jpg

It needs re-lining. Friend had a quot of $8k to reline his pool not long ago. Add another 3k for sundries such a pump/chlorinator etc repairs

Not sure wheree it is located but we found Jade pools to be honest and reliable. Maybe ask them to come out to give you a figure.
This is located in Gosford area.
Does anyone have a pool service company to recommend for pool reline in Gosford area?

hi

sorry to hijack,

do you know which course of action you will take OP?

is it true that if you abandon a "good constructed" pool that its a waste of money?

would it be expensive to get the pool back up and running for a tenant to use?

please let us know

That pool needs a new liner. DaveM is on the money with his estimate of about $8k + sundries. Your other option is to render it with quartz or pebblecrete, but would attract a slightly higher price. Without a close up view, looks to be a solid looking pool, and a waste to fill something like that in - but do you want a pool with tenants?

I would also ask the question whether the pool fencing is up to regulation. There will also be other regulations regarding safety screens on any windows inside the pool enclosure etc. Would be worth having an inspection, because you could possibly kiss goodbye another chunk of $$$ as well.

Still worth investigating, and negotiating sale price accordingly.

pinkboy

what about getting a tarp or something covering it, and then putting up a deck over it,

that way you can remove the deck and fix the pool at a later stage, seems like a waste

that being said, it seems its in the middle of the garden, so a deck might look a silly

I have asked a friend who had own a property with pool and he kept telling me that he would not buy a property with pool again.

His strategy is to buy a house that needs TLC, reno it while living in it and then sell it with zero capital gain tax.

He is the one who introduced me to this wonderful forum.

I respect his opinion but I guess I am a bit naughty and I went ahead and bought this property :p

I have done some research about the fate of this pool.
To fill it, it will cost around around 15k.
To bring it back to life, it will cost around 8k for vinyl liner, or around 10k for fibrecoat.

I rang many pool service companies and here are what I have learnt.
1. Not to go for vinyl liner as it might be cheap but it does not last long and sun is vinyl liner's worst enemy. Also, it is very easy to get cut.
2. Concrete lasts the longest but it needs a lot of chemical to prevent algae from growing.
3. Fibrecoating is relatively cheap (2-3k more than vinyl) and it has longer life span (15-20 years, not as long as concrete 30+ year, but nearly twice as long as vinyl's 5-7 years).

My decision analysis:
A pool like this probably takes 90k to build.
To fill it, 15k makes 90k pool disappear.
To bring it back to life with fibrecoating, 10k will make 90k pool back to life.

The decision is easy... :D Bring it back to life!!

This property is located in Wyoming which is not close to water. A pool might attract more tenants :) *hopefully* more rents :rolleyes:

That pool needs a new liner. DaveM is on the money with his estimate of about $8k + sundries. Your other option is to render it with quartz or pebblecrete, but would attract a slightly higher price. Without a close up view, looks to be a solid looking pool, and a waste to fill something like that in - but do you want a pool with tenants?
I decided to go for fibrecoat rather than concrete/pebble.
I think it is a waste to fill as well.
I guess I will give it (tenant + pool) a go :)

I would also ask the question whether the pool fencing is up to regulation. There will also be other regulations regarding safety screens on any windows inside the pool enclosure etc. Would be worth having an inspection, because you could possibly kiss goodbye another chunk of $$$ as well.
Thanks for your reminder. I will check those things up.

Still worth investigating, and negotiating sale price accordingly.
No room for negotiation :(
It is sold as it is by NSW Trustee & Guadian

do you know which course of action you will take OP?
Bring it back to life with fibrecoating

is it true that if you abandon a "good constructed" pool that its a waste of money?
I feel it is a waste of money.

would it be expensive to get the pool back up and running for a tenant to use?
I have got a quote for 10k to bring it back to life with fibrecoating.
Will do more research and do it within next 2 weeks I hope :D

what about getting a tarp or something covering it, and then putting up a deck over it,

that way you can remove the deck and fix the pool at a later stage, seems like a waste

that being said, it seems its in the middle of the garden, so a deck might look a silly
I have thought of covering it with a deck as well.
In fact, many Americans are doing it with their 20-30 year old pools.
But I think it looks silly like you've said :D

Back