In light of Qld floods, should be the government stick to its budget surplus target

Budget Surplus Target Date 2012-2013 - Stay or Go?

• Stay - By raising taxes/surcharges elsehwere

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay - By reducing spending in other areas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay - By a cmbination of spending cuts and tax/surcharge increases

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Go - allow budget to go into deficit for one (1) extra financial year

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Go - allow budget to go into deficit for two (2) or more financial years

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Should be the Fed government stick to its budget surplus target date of 2012-2013.

Not so much a debate about whether it can, but whether it should

100% yes, theres plenty of areas they can cut back.

i wont name one in particular for fear of being called racist, bigot or whatever. :)

Defence is another that can be looked at; ie; new gear can be deferred etc.....its really endless.

Govts of all kinds waste so much money when theres plenty to waste............over the next period we are going to see some "real" belt tightening before the usual splurges around election time again...

Honestly I would prefer Gillard and Co to defer the NBN rollout for 12-18 mths until we get back into the black.

Mining can also again be looked at, they rip us off billions each each in lost tax revenue.....its a total joke what goes overseas never to see australian shores again

Is Gillard testing the waters or flagging the inevitable here

Given the make-up of Parliament (both lower and upper houses), additional taxes/levy's are inevitable imo.

My preference would be to assist with the recovery of course as not doing so would drag down the economy somewhat, belt tighten more if possible - NBN delay by 12 months if this DOESNT cause additional costs etc. However I am also fine if the target could be pushed forward 12 months due to these circumstances.

E.G If my car broke down and this meant I had to purchase another vehicle this would put a spanner in my ppor debt reduction, say one year. I wouldn't accept my partner to scream that the house will take one extra year to pay off.

Forget about politics and parties for one moment. Pragmatism dictates that if there are now increasing costs which will push the budget a year or so out so be it, however this does not provide a go flag for the government to announce more silly schemes to bulge the deficit.

Back