Incorrect Rental Adjustment on Settlement

Hi all,

We have just settled on a new property, and I relied on my new Settlement Agent (who is actually a Solicitor) to get everything done correctly.

On Monday I found out they did not review the tenancy agreement for the rental adjustment, and I now find myself about $1,250 short of rent due to this not being picked up.

In my experience, reviewing the rent and tenancy agreement is a standard component of the conveyance process and in the 9 property transactions I have been involved in, have just been done without any special requests.

Naturally I am a bit annoyed, and I have gone back to the solicitor to ask them to sort this out.

Can anyone tell me if I have any legs to stand on here? If it was a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't be too worried, but $1,250 is not a small amount of money.

Thanks in advance,

Hi all,

We have just settled on a new property, and I relied on my new Settlement Agent (who is actually a Solicitor) to get everything done correctly.

On Monday I found out they did not review the tenancy agreement for the rental adjustment, and I now find myself about $1,250 short of rent due to this not being picked up.

In my experience, reviewing the rent and tenancy agreement is a standard component of the conveyance process and in the 9 property transactions I have been involved in, have just been done without any special requests.

Naturally I am a bit annoyed, and I have gone back to the solicitor to ask them to sort this out.

Can anyone tell me if I have any legs to stand on here? If it was a couple hundred bucks I wouldn't be too worried, but $1,250 is not a small amount of money.

Thanks in advance,

You have legs!

Thanks Terry,

Can my solicitor go back to that of the Vendors and "demand" the adjustment be made post settlement?

Thanks again :D

Thanks mate, amazing how much trouble one can get into when relying of advice of substandard "professionals".

Knowing the vendor, looks like I might be asking the solicitor themselves to sort this out from their pockets.

Thanks mate, amazing how much trouble one can get into when relying of advice of substandard "professionals".

Knowing the vendor, looks like I might be asking the solicitor themselves to sort this out from their pockets.

Pretty slack on behalf of the Solicitor. Did they seem upset to have missed it?

They are following it up, with me snapping at their heels every day.

If they believed they weren't at fault, I expect they would have told me so by now :)

In Exactly the same situation myself.
Luckily for about half that.
Solicitor has taken responsibility.
Worst case, I don't get the money back and I demand a reduction in fee's next time.
Lesson learnt here.
Reminds me why I hate Settling around Christmas time!

Back