Indoor dog and renting

Question for landlords.

We are about to sell our PPOR and then look to buy with a cash offer as we have been constantly missing out with subject to offers in Perth's current market.

Our issue is we have a 100% indoor large dog who is elderly and I could not rehome/ board or shove him outside in a rental. The areas we are looking to buy in have a limited amt of houses available so we won't instantly find our dream home so the likelihood of us needing a rental is high.

So, do we have any chance of finding a rental which will allow an indoor large dog. He is neat, never soils inside & our own carpets are fine (dog hairs +++ but obviously those get vacuumed!). We are happy to pay a higher bond etc.

The other option is waiting a year or so as he is unlikely to live longer than 12 months but I really want our house move done before my oldest starts school in jan.

I'm very reluctant to put the house on the market and then risk having no where to live!!

1. Get your finances in order
2. Buy unconditional with confidence based on #1
3. Sell current house

We really don't want to buy another house without having sold this one. I have seen that go wrong so many times with big financial losses in interest that I wouldn't risk it. At worst, if we sell and are homeless we could move in with my parents who would be thoroughly unimpressed but would take us in.

If you can sell your house and have enough funds to purchase with cash, it's probably not going to be very difficult to position yourself so you can confidently borrow for the next purchase and then pay the loan down significantly (or completely) when you do sell.

Bridging finance would be available but this has its own inherent complexities and thus risk. There are far better ways to do this. Presenting the scenario of keeping your existing home as an investment can work very well (even though you fully intend to sell).

On the dog question, it's probably not as difficult as you think. We recently tenanted a property to a family which includes a dog. The property is very well suited to dogs (tiled floors, backyard, etc). I wouldn't allow dogs in some of my other properties because they're not designed for it.

Question for landlords.

We are about to sell our PPOR and then look to buy with a cash offer as we have been constantly missing out with subject to offers in Perth's current market.

Our issue is we have a 100% indoor large dog who is elderly and I could not rehome/ board or shove him outside in a rental. The areas we are looking to buy in have a limited amt of houses available so we won't instantly find our dream home so the likelihood of us needing a rental is high.

So, do we have any chance of finding a rental which will allow an indoor large dog. He is neat, never soils inside & our own carpets are fine (dog hairs +++ but obviously those get vacuumed!). We are happy to pay a higher bond etc.

The other option is waiting a year or so as he is unlikely to live longer than 12 months but I really want our house move done before my oldest starts school in jan.

I'm very reluctant to put the house on the market and then risk having no where to live!!

I have 2 dogs and one way around this is offer above the rent requested to entice. You will have a good chance of this working especially in current market as there is currently an oversupply of rentals in the Perth market.

I know a number of people who have used this strategy.

I am a landlord and personally have never had a problem with a tenant having their dog inside. I have both pets and children and without a doubt it has been the children that have caused more accidents, spillages, mess than the dog I have. Speak to local real estate agents about what percentages of houses they have available that allow pets. All the best

I wouldn't be too worried. As MTR said rental demand has slowed down and if you offered to pay $10/wk more if you were getting desperate that could help.

I am a landlord and personally have never had a problem with a tenant having their dog inside. I have both pets and children and without a doubt it has been the children that have caused more accidents, spillages, mess than the dog I have. Speak to local real estate agents about what percentages of houses they have available that allow pets. All the best

100% ditto ! Your dog and you welcome at one of my houses (bit far too travel I guess)

Maybe go and speak to some property managers now, before you put your place on the market and see what they think your chances are of securing a rental.

Responsible pet owners are never a problem :cool:
Older dogs don't usually cause any trouble, they sleep most of the time.

If you do need to rent your next home, I've got a very handy guide to help pet owner tenants
http://www.rentwithpets.com.au/index.php/tenants2/househunting-tips-for-tenants

Owning a home is easiest for a senior dog though. You can build ramps and change the floor material, heating, etc to accommodate any mobility issues as big dogs get older.

Yen

Back