Industrial look - new build/reno

This may sound a tad out there but here we go. I collect things like art, sculptures, old motorbikes, in fact all sort of stuff and have always wanted to live in a big high walled open plan building like an old industrial space. But I live in a residential area so there are no such old buildings for me to convert and as Im 8 houses from the beach I dont want to relocate.

Now Im starting to plan the reno of the little brick 2x1 house on the 640m2 block and am thinking how I can meld my desire for an industrial styled space and feel. Initial thoughts are some sort of uber modern facade then a big shed style build behind it with a mezzanine floor for bedrooms etc.

Has anyone tried to build something like this? Pitfalls of renovating existing industrial buildings that I can design out? Anything else that comes to mind? I'll post some pics of the existing place tonight with any luck.

Thanks for all and any help.

I sculpt and paint and wanted the same look and we live 2mins walk from the beach. Outside went for a very modern look with a double skillion colorbond roof with one side higher than the other, BGC Duragrid Innova facade system (effectively cement sheeting squares) on the house. Inside go for square set plaster around the windows, all windows in black aluminium. Very open plan with the wall beside the kitchen not reaching the ceiling. The staircase in recycled red gum open treads with stainless steel balustrading and wires, with a black top rail. Black glass chandelier in foyer for touch of whimsey. Looks fabulous and I love it and everyone who comes in says they love it too!

Fernfurn that sounds great may be a bit too close to a "house" for me, even so any chance of some pictures please?

Last edited:
industrial works when it's in context - i.e. in an infill area, interesting warehouse conversions, a shed, an older building etc.

it doesn't work in suburbia unless there is some tie to the above.

for example - have you looked at relocating an old school hall, remote railway station/shed or church building and then fitting it out?

the cost of relocation is pretty small compared to the industrial base you have to work from. it will a provide true, intrinsic style foundation to work from.

simply food for thought.

Aaron I think you make several salient points and ones that I have considered, particularly relocating an existing place. I'm Environmental Scientist and for my mind utilising as much of the existing dwelling is critical from a sustainability perspective and with an effective new build I can incorporate energy saving such as great insulation etc. Below are some images of the existing site plan and floor plan plus a 3rd which shows the part of the existing dwelling I'd like to keep. The garage has to come off as there is no rear access and I need additional space in excess of a double garage for working on and storing vehicles. Removing that outer wall though, which is load bearing would require an additional wall to be built.

Current Site Plan

ExistingSitePlanJPEG_zps69b68a22.jpg

Current Floor Plan (dimensions are 7.42 x 13.68 excl eaves)

ExistingFoorPlan-JPEG_zps4decd72c.jpg

Proposed Floor Plan - Parts to keep

ExistingFoorPlanJPEG_zpsb8b402d0.jpg

Front of house

100_3990_zps429377a5.jpg

100_3991_zpsfa2047e1.jpg

Interior

100_3992_zps8ea3ca6d.jpg

100_3994_zps33b1bc18.jpg

I can go 3m further out towards the street from the existing dwelling and have to stay 3m off the back boundary due to a sewer line that is there. Initial thoughts were to keep the exiting dwelling as a self contained apartment then build above and behind but based on what Im reading about granny flats in Qld that no longer seems feasiable.

Back