Inner west: from where to where???

Hi

I know this may be a silly question....but what are the actual boundaries of the inner west??? from what suburb to what suburb?
I've been doing quite a bit of reading and it is fair to say that the inner west seems to have good prospects...but is this all the suburbs in the inner west? or only a selected few???

Inner West - use the buy tab & then the map search and click on NSW, Sydney, Inner West - you will see a list of suburbs.

Obviously not all will do (or have done) as well as others. That's where you need some serious research, experience, etc

Not sure about Sydney, but stigma of the west will always stay with Melbourne... or at least for a long time to come anyway.

Cost will always overcome stigma, Yarraville, Seddon, Footscray, Williamstown, Newport, Spotswood, Altona. have in a very short period of time become very desirable suburbs.

Seaholme was flagged as the suburb likely to experience the most growth in Melbourne in the next 10 years in yesterdays Sun (for what thats worth). A lot of people would rather live within 15klm of the CBD with a 400k mortgage then 40 klm from CBD in the east to have the same size mortgage this will drive prices up. Travel times are much shorter coming in from the West also. These factors IMO will continue to drive the melbourne western suburbs and make it a good area to invest in.

In Melbourne they refer to the inner West these days as anything within the Western Ring Road so im told.

shorter traveling times? Not at the important times of the day - Seen the Westgate bridge/train lines going to the West at peak times?

They're affordable suburbs. Probably not desirable suburbs. It's not really just my opinion too, but seems to be the overwhelming view of a lot of people I talk to (eg colleagues, friends, family). Maybe it's just the people I happen to know.

The thing is people rave about how a lot of these affordable suburbs were and still are going to boom ahead of inner city. I don't know how much these places have gone up in the 2009/2010 bull run (esp the outer suburbs) as I haven't been following. But people who know me here know I'm not a big beleiver in capital growth in 'affordable' suburbs. One of these inner city places I got around 5 months has probably moved 300k+ or so based on all comparable sales data. Speaking to neighbours I know none of us will sell for anything less.

I only put down a 100k initial payment - so not a great deal of money. At the same time a lot of people probably would've taken the same money and headed to the 'affordable' suburbs. I truly question whether any of these 'affordable' suburbs could net that sort of return (ie 300k) over the same period (ie 5 months). Even if it does generate that sort of return over the next 3 years, the inner city places are already ones tep ahead. Blue chip inner city is the way to go.

Oh by the way my comments relate more to 'outer' west, but I believe it more or less applies to inner.

Sydney's inner west keeps stretching. Real agents are the culprits. I've seen places at Homebush and Rhodes listed as inner west. The 'west' has always had a bit of stigma, but the 'inner west' shook it off some time ago. So agents naturally want to edge the arbitrary boundary out. They probably should create a 'mid west' instead.
I reckon the inner west ends when terrace houses cease to be a significant housing style in an area and average block sizes get bigger. So the inner west to me ends at Summer Hill/Dulwich Hill/Marrickville.

shorter traveling times? Not at the important times of the day - Seen the Westgate bridge/train lines going to the West at peak times?

See them every day, I travel from Altona to the cbd in less then 30 minutes in peak hours and 20 minutes travelling home, even with the upgrade work they are doing at the moment. Coming in on the Eastern and on the Monash is a far worse trip to the CBD.

I see them every day too. Never use the bridge - that's for folks from the outer west. Footscray Road, Dynon Road - 20mins to the city, peak hour. Trains the same - I find the Williamstown line quite reliable and get a seat every day, to and from work, peak hour both ways.
Don't knock it till you've tried it - and the view from the east is not always all that clear, obviously:p

You should really refrain from speaking when you dont know what you are talking about. Why would you be driving over the Westgate if you are living in the inner West????:rolleyes:

The inner west (Sydney) has always been a rubbery term. Its like everyone has a different idea of what/where it is. Personally i think it stops about Ashfield. A circle about 10 k's from the CBD.

RE agents tend to think inner west stops at Homebush in their advertising. HAHA

Probably a radius around the city from approx. Drummoyne to Five Dock to Ashfield to Earlwood. Something like that. Maybe even closer in. Depends who you ask.

Its an interesting topic.

lol. now look at the western suburb people getting defensive. I comment that the Westgate is a huge mess and now you all deny that you use that freeway rofl. I hope you enjoy literally driving into the sunrise and sunset.

I just enjoy literally driving (into work, home from work, etc), rather than sitting on the South Eastern Car Park.
Sun? That's what sunvisors are for. :D

I always understood as the Inner west going no longer than Leichhardt.

But yes I've seen REAs claim Homebush, and Strathfield as the Inner west.

Hmm if Richmond and Abbotsford are considered inner east, and Hawthorn and Kew are considered blue blood east, I would've thought inner west ends (at most) with Footscray, Seddon, Ascot Vale etc.

Personally though, I would probably draw the boundary around Travancore, Flemington, Kensington, with the rest behind that being 'western suburbs'

I have always considered Croydon/Strathfield as part of the 'Inner West'. What else would it be?? Maybe I've paid too much attention the to real estates around there. :eek:

I reckon Croydon and Strathfield are 'west', not 'inner west'. But it's all very arbitrary. I still reckon the inner west stops when terrace houses (or at least single fronted houses) stop being a predominant house type. But that's just my definition. A mate of mine reckons the inner west stops when the coffee gets crook. It's not surprising agents want to expand the inner west. I saw an ad for a place in Granville once that was described as being 'inner west fringe'.

Strathfield is a bit of a special case in these ratings in my opinion because the frequency of express trains to the city makes commuting times for city workers faster than that of those who live a bit closer in like Burwood, Croydon.

It's 20 minutes with 5-10 minute frequencies in the morning/evening peaks, so living within 5-10 mins walk of Strathfield Station is equivalent to living within 5-10 mins walk of Lewisham for commute convenience.

But I do agree that the real inner-west line is starts at Newtown and ends at Ashfield/Dulwich Hill. That's where the character defined by small pubs and terrace houses ends. There's also a distinct change in demographic from "yuppies who can't afford to live in the East or Inner city" to multicultural young families. When I rented out my place in Strathfield I saw applicants from both camps, I chose the families because they're less fickle than the yuppies.

Going by my "20mins to Wynyard/Martin/St James" place by train ring puts the borders at Tempe, Strathfield, Chatswood, Wolli Creek and Bondi Junction as the zone you need to buy in to get the benefits of being 'reasonably close to the city'.

Back