installing deck

hey all.

im wanting to install a deck over concrete,

its all undercover but I have underfloor vents in the brickwork that cant be covered ,

what could I do? what are my options? am I better off just leaving it and just painting it? heres a pic too.

Nick.

I think you could build a deck over the concrete without covering up the vents pretty easily..

You would be putting down battens to lay the deck on and raise it off the floor anyway, you might just need to use bigger battens to get the deck raised up over the vents. this would also make the deck level with the house floor.

I would check how much height you are going to have between the patio roof and the deck, if it's going to be under about 2.1m you would need to raise the roof which unless you were planning on building a new roof anyway might be too much extra work.

Cheers..

you can always build your deck, you run a bearer along the wall and then batterns out etc and place the bearers on small elevations..like stumps ...when its up and runing..install new vents in the brickwork level with deck...but then you need to know your floor level its not that hard. however, for you to do that..yes u need to riase the roof and then you also have to raise door levels...however, you could keep it level with the step at the back door..but gona be tight.

looking at the vents...you could cover them, ..as long as you have more along the side...

so your house must be on a slanting piece of land faling away from the pics and it is located on stumps..lot of work...

other option...dig out yr concrete and lay new deck same level as were the concrete is...less hassel but harder work...

I assume this is your PPOR, have you considered the maintenance required with a deck? if it's oiled re-coat every 6-12 mths, painted 3-5+ yrs.

What you have looks fine to me, very practical and low maintenance, you could look into a coating of some sort
http://www.designerconcrete.com.au/

Installing a deck would just be a matter of keeping as much of the existing air vents open and maintaining your 2.1m head height. Like others have mentioned.

You could screw batterns to the concrete at 450 centres, ensuring they are put down level, and put decking on top. Or build the deck up to the floor level so that there is no step out of the door with bearers/joists or just large joists.

We were considering a similar thing but have decided to tile straight over our old tiles (after appropriate preparation). You could do similar or do some sort of coating which would mean no vent issues.

you can always build your deck, you run a bearer along the wall and then batterns out etc and place the bearers on small elevations..like stumps ...when its up and runing..install new vents in the brickwork level with deck...but then you need to know your floor level its not that hard. however, for you to do that..yes u need to riase the roof and then you also have to raise door levels...however, you could keep it level with the step at the back door..but gona be tight.

looking at the vents...you could cover them, ..as long as you have more along the side...

so your house must be on a slanting piece of land faling away from the pics and it is located on stumps..lot of work...

other option...dig out yr concrete and lay new deck same level as were the concrete is...less hassel but harder work...

the concrete itself is slanting away from the house maybe over the whole width of the house I think 2 courses. yes its on stumps.

I have vents all around the house. I did think about ripping off the pergola then just doing the deck then putting a new pergola up which in the end would be double the cost.

the other option I thought about was deck tiles, but they are quite expensive from what I have heard...not too sure if any one has seen them.

just concrete is a bit bland, having said that painting the driveway and the rest of the concrete would be an option..

heres another pic too.

with that window on the left that will be taken out to make way for a sliding door. if I cant put the deck in I think id have to put some timber steps down to the concrete cause the drop is about 250-300mm I think.

the other think that I see worrying also is the water tap and drain there too....

Last edited:
I would tile that.

Wooden deck might look better but unless you want to throw away a butt load of time and money, tiles would be the better way to go.

You can even get timber look tiles. They would go down so easily on that slab. Cost maybe $40m2. I would give laying them a go yourself too. That slab outside looks pretty forgiving. Just look at lots of how to vids and buy a diamond tip blade for your grinder.

Top tiles sells the timber look http://toptiles.com.au/tag/timber-look/

DIY Paint is a pain- always peels off. Make sure if you tile they aren't slippery. We rented a place with spa and tiled outdoor area. Every time we had friends over with little kids they would slip and hit heads.
I'm not sure if stencil would be better. I'm not sure what product is used but better than DIY paint. For best results I think you may need to get it sealed every so often.
http://concretesolutionswa.com.au/services/repave-concrete/

DIY Paint is a pain- always peels off. Make sure if you tile they aren't slippery. We rented a place with spa and tiled outdoor area. Every time we had friends over with little kids they would slip and hit heads.
I'm not sure if stencil would be better. I'm not sure what product is used but better than DIY paint. For best results I think you may need to get it sealed every so often.
http://concretesolutionswa.com.au/services/repave-concrete/

im still thinking timber deck. just cause of the slight slope in the concrete cause if there is a sudden downpour the water does tend to go in undercover in the grooves of the concrete. hence why I still believe either:

a: installing a low deck would be the best option
b: or installing deck tiles due to the vents in the brickwork

im not a fan of tiles outside only pavers and I definitely wouldn't pave the area that's for sure.

Neeko, I cannot see if you have said this is for a PPOR?

We have a similar problem right now. We never sealed our tiles and they are filthy. We priced up some stone tiles at $63.80 per square metre (including GST) and our tiler will lay them for $70 per square metre (plus GST I think).

We are looking at a DIY solution. We did look at raising the patio level to come close to the indoors (now one step down) but we know that laying a low timber deck will look great, but creates all sorts of "termite" worries for future buyers. It also means coating at least once a year to keep the timber looking great.

We are going today to Amber Tiles to see what they have in stone pavers. If we can find what we want for $65 a square metre, because this deck is flat, we will possibly do the paving ourselves.

We have a pool surround that needs replacing, so all up we are looking at between 60 and 90 square metres (depending on how we do the pool surround, we may increase the paved area). If we have ties laid professionally, assuming finished 90 square metres, we may be paying $12K for the job (plus more if there is more prep to be done). If we DIY, we could do it for less than $6K.

Beware Wylie - We laid 30 m2 outdoor tiles about 14 years ago and it took a week for the pains in our knees and ankles to recover. I couldn't walk for days afterwards and there's not much physically I cant do and I was a lot younger then. I don't see your young apprentice (son) helping you, it's not a job for everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMKAuGNIqGk

Looks like this is how it's done in a situation like yours.

Good idea, just cut the pvc to length to take into consideration that slop you were talking about.

Actually looks pretty simple.

You going to diy?

jeeez!!!!!! that looks alright actually!!!!!!

i'll get a mate whos a chippy to give me a hand he reckons to do the deck would cost about 2k so i'll be saving for it as im an apprentice electrician atm so saving will be important!

I never even though of that, just hope that works that way you showed me in the video..

Neeko, I cannot see if you have said this is for a PPOR?

We have a similar problem right now. We never sealed our tiles and they are filthy. We priced up some stone tiles at $63.80 per square metre (including GST) and our tiler will lay them for $70 per square metre (plus GST I think).

We are looking at a DIY solution. We did look at raising the patio level to come close to the indoors (now one step down) but we know that laying a low timber deck will look great, but creates all sorts of "termite" worries for future buyers. It also means coating at least once a year to keep the timber looking great.

We are going today to Amber Tiles to see what they have in stone pavers. If we can find what we want for $65 a square metre, because this deck is flat, we will possibly do the paving ourselves.

We have a pool surround that needs replacing, so all up we are looking at between 60 and 90 square metres (depending on how we do the pool surround, we may increase the paved area). If we have ties laid professionally, assuming finished 90 square metres, we may be paying $12K for the job (plus more if there is more prep to be done). If we DIY, we could do it for less than $6K.

yes it me ppor. love the house and wont be selling anytime soon. I still have bathroom and laundry to complete but they are ages away!!!!! everything still works perfectly.

tbh im not a tile person, I just cant justify paying those kind of prices especially when the water comes in will slip over if I have a few too many, id rather stick with timber.

down the trak im going to do a front path from the arbor to the driveway , that'll be in pavers for sure with decking lights.

jeeez!!!!!! that looks alright actually!!!!!!

i'll get a mate whos a chippy to give me a hand he reckons to do the deck would cost about 2k so i'll be saving for it as im an apprentice electrician atm so saving will be important!

I never even though of that, just hope that works that way you showed me in the video..

Where abouts are you neeko. If you are in brissie try this guy I used for decking: http://www.closeys.com.au/products-3/decking/3-65-per-lineal-metre-136mm-x-19mm-mixed-hardwood-2/

It's character grade, but you just cut so you miss the really bad bits. Fair bit cheaper than elsewhere.

As for the joists, get them from a demolition yard. Half the price of new, plus they've aged so they are actually stronger. Just make sure the demo yard doesn't take you for a ride on price though. For 125mm joists you should only be paying around $3m off the top of my head. Then I think you'd lay the joists about every 500mm.

Where abouts are you neeko. If you are in brissie try this guy I used for decking: http://www.closeys.com.au/products-3/decking/3-65-per-lineal-metre-136mm-x-19mm-mixed-hardwood-2/

It's character grade, but you just cut so you miss the really bad bits. Fair bit cheaper than elsewhere.

As for the joists, get them from a demolition yard. Half the price of new, plus they've aged so they are actually stronger. Just make sure the demo yard doesn't take you for a ride on price though. For 125mm joists you should only be paying around $3m off the top of my head. Then I think you'd lay the joists about every 500mm.

im in melb mate, I was in brissy last week actually..

Beware Wylie - We laid 30 m2 outdoor tiles about 14 years ago and it took a week for the pains in our knees and ankles to recover. I couldn't walk for days afterwards and there's not much physically I cant do and I was a lot younger then. I don't see your young apprentice (son) helping you, it's not a job for everyone.

LOL. Hubby and I laid pavers at our oldest son's house the day before the photos were to be taken for the sale. We took photos of each other (hubby and I) carrying them up the hill from the front to the back with the caption "Wish you were here!" and sent he and his partner via text.

I know when I do hard labour, I whinge and complain, but nobody listens.

I'd offer to come and help you, but hey, I'll have to go back to work shortly. I believe tiles are more labour intense than pavers ;)

Back