Insurance broker?

Can anyone recommend a reliable insurance broker? We've just found out that the bank requires proof of insurance before they'll finalise the loan.

Thanks heaps :)

K

Amarantha said:
Can anyone recommend a reliable insurance broker? We've just found out that the bank requires proof of insurance before they'll finalise the loan.

Thanks heaps :)

K

Hi,

I am assuming this is for building insurance?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Amarantha said:
We've just found out that the bank requires proof of insurance before they'll finalise the loan.

Wonder the bank didn't try to sell you a policy.

That aside, an insurance policy is just a phone call away.

As you surely have exisiting policies (car, PPOR buildings, PPOR contents, etc), your most logical port of call is the insurance company (or companies) with which you have those policies.

You may be entitled to a no claim bonus or a multi-policy discount.

I can see the sense in using an insurance broker for special types of risks or policies where you expect the premiums to be significant, but for a garden variety house and contents insurance, personally I wouldnt bother.

Hyperlinks and contact details for all the major general insurance companies in Australia can be found here.

Mark

We currently have insurance for the contents of our rented home with one company, and for our motorcycle with a different company. I got these by phoning half a dozen different companies for quotes and then choosing. We were hoping to find someone who'd give us a discount for doing both, but they all did only one or the other, or else were way more expensive for one than the other, so even with a discount (which at least one place I asked said they didn't do), it would have cost more than doing them separately.

We now need to get a house-and-contents policy for our new PPOR, which will replace the current contents policy. We don't want to just automatically go with the same mob, because someone else might turn out to be a better choice for both home and contents, and in the suburbs we're moving to rather than the inner-city area where we now live. I was going to just phone a few again, but there are so many (several dozen on the bank's list of approved insurers).

So it occurred to me to wonder if there are insurance brokers who have a list of all the policies and can search out the best one for you. Just like mortgage brokers do with loans. A search of the internet seemed to suggest that this was so. Therefore I thought the lovely people here might be able to suggest a good one, like they did when I asked for a mortgage broker recommendation.

Must admit to never shopping around - I think RACV has our car, building and contents.

How about this Amarantha, if you find some great deals, maybe you can become the broker and resell the deals to lazy people like me :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

hehe :)

I was hoping to get away with being a little lazy myself :D Waaaay too busy with work and family commitments atm to do a lot of research.

Shall try the NIBA then; thanks,

K

We have a lot of ours insured with NRMA. They give a multi-policy discount as well as no claim bonus and another discount for the number of years the policy has been in force too. They also do landlord insurance these days.

Don't insure with NRMA as they don't pay when they are supposed to, even months after the assessors have accepred the claim. They try every trick in the book to drive you into the ground. We lost our home in the Canberra fires so know what happened to us.
I will never ever insure with them again. We had to wait months & months & then the ombudsman had to intervene for both the contents & the building insurance.
To anyone insured with them I hope you never ever need to claim
cheers
blossomoz

A colleague who insured with AAMI who lost his house in those fires was extremely well treated by AAMI, through everything- starting with a fully furnished apartment on the day after the fires.

blossomoz said:
Don't insure with NRMA as they don't pay when they are supposed to, even months after the assessors have accepred the claim. They try every trick in the book to drive you into the ground. We lost our home in the Canberra fires so know what happened to us.
I will never ever insure with them again. We had to wait months & months & then the ombudsman had to intervene for both the contents & the building insurance.
To anyone insured with them I hope you never ever need to claim
cheers
blossomoz
Thanks for that blossomoz. You never really know the value of an insurance company until you have to claim, do you? I hope everything turned out well in the long run.

Thanks Skater we are fine. Actually the aftermath was worse than the fire. If we hadn't been such a close couple our marriage would have broken down, as sadly I believe many did.

People want excitement. A boring life suits me fine at the moment, I've had enought excitement to last me for a long time!!!!!!

The funny thing is we have a lot of the kid's discarded furniture. I'm not interested in anything better at the moment. We had lovely antiques etc that we had collected over the years & a nice large home. The house we now live in is just a tiny weatherboard. The antiques we had were bought cheaply & restored, or just a good buy. I suppose I'm a bit conscious now of how it must look to people coming into our home. My husband says that if people don't like it he will show them where the door is.

We are very happy, we are both healthy & we have each other. Life is good.
cheers
blossomoz

Thanks for the tips on AAMI - I hadn't realised they did Landlord Protection.

Just arranged to transfer all my insurance to them (unfortunately you can't do landlord insurance with AAMI via the internet).. but it's worth going through all those questions on the phone in the end to get a good deal.

I'm stoked that my insurance bill has reduced by almost 50% with much greater protection over what I had.

I moved my excess out to $1000 and it makes a huge difference.

I did get a quote from Bendigo Brokers as recommended by Geoff in another post, but they weren't able to offer anything with this level of excess.

Also interesting to note one of the questions was - how long have you been a landlord. I said 8 years and 1 quote was $266 then I did it again with 9 years and it dropped to $175.. go figure that one out.

So, now I've got an extra $600 a year to spend on something else.

Great way to end the day.

Vero (as sold thru BoQ have a very very good and also cheap landlord policy, my IP is with them and I couldn't recommend them enough to people.

Coen said:
Vero (as sold thru BoQ have a very very good and also cheap landlord policy, my IP is with them and I couldn't recommend them enough to people.
I was just checking out their site ... the LL cover does seem VERY good ... so many things that usually excluded.
Do you know of anyone's claim payment experiences ?

Don't dis-count GIO, we shopped around extensively for our PPOR home and contents, they were the cheapest (depends on what you're insuring, where you live etc).
Now with each building insurance policy we add to this, we get a 20% discount.

Definately worth checking out.

G'day all,

Just finished the ring around and have found that for me RACV is hard to beat.

NRMA .... couldn't do for Vic property
BoQ .....didn't get back to me
Remmington Ins Brokers ... didn't get back to me
CommInsure .. 784
CGU ............. 691
Terri Scheer .. 637 ... my current insur, at lower cover too !
NAB ............. 623
AAMI .......... 433
RACV ....... 386

What's going on with that range eh ?
RACV is certainly a trustworthy name and their policy sounds same as others'.
Apparently it's a relatively new product so they're giving it a push ... Yahoo !!

Yes I did confirm that it is actually house & LL cover, incl default and Mal damage.
I'm changing !!!

Back