Insurance Claim

Hi
I have a property managed by an agent and I ended up with a shocking tenant. She did not pay rent for 10 weeks and I got a court order to evict her. She has now left - property stinks and is filthy, garden a wreck (her dogs dug large holes everywhere). I am going to claim on my LLs insurance (AON) for loss of rent etc, with as many clean up expenses taken from the bond.

The agent has insisted on processing the claim. My concern is that I am covered for loss of rent also while the property is vacant till re-let. The agent seemed to be under the impression he could take his management fees from this - I said not. There is no tenant and as far as I am concerned the insurance is to cover me for loss not the agent -they should have their own insurance.

Has anyone else had experience of agents and insurance claims?

If the property manager had done his job properly, the tenant would have been evicted weeks before, and the place would have been in a much better condition. Ten weeks to get a tenant evicted- that's way excessive. And their had obviously been no inspections. Any reasonable PM would have had that in hand, quickly.

I'd be asking the PM for reimbursement, not paying him.

If the cheque from AON comes directly to you, which you are within your rights to request (even if the agent processes the claim)then the PM cant take out fees. If they receive the chq and process it through their trust system it will automatically deduct fees as per your management agreement. Generally it is better for the agent to do the claim as they have all the documents in relation to the tenants and their defult and damage.

Back