interactive graph that compares house prices globally

I guess on it's own this shows that Australian property is overvalued and it's a miracle that Australia's house prices are growing at the rate they are.

However I think what is driving Australia's property market is Australia's economy. You can't compare Australia to UK and USA. The rise of India and China and there demand for our minerals will continue the Australian economic miracle.

I just hope the government and indivials have enough sense to save and invest in assets (not just Australian property and shares) that our economic boom is providing us.

To tell you the truth, I'm finding it really hard to read the graph. It would help if there was an index into what each line meant.

each line represents 1 country
When you tick Australia our line appears
do the same for Canada.
If you are not sure which is which put your cursor on the line and it will show you the country name

each line represents 1 country
When you tick Australia our line appears
do the same for Canada.
If you are not sure which is which put your cursor on the line and it will show you the country name

You can also choose between House-price index, Prices in real terms, Price against average income, Price against rent, % change as well as the Start and End Date.

Appears that South Africa is the only country that has exceeded Australia on most measures. Wondering whether South Africa is also riding high on a mining boom. Trendwise, Australia is quite similiar to that of China.

forumite

Now I finally understand the graph. Yes it looks like Australian property is overvalued against Canada however it looks like it has been overvalued for 15 years.

What happened in spain! most indices point to higher increases than australia.
Australian prices in terms of average income isnt too bad, but in terms of rents is off the chart. This would imply average rents havent followed average income? compared to other countries...hmmm

Its just numbers!, change the start dates to 1998 or 2000 or 2004 and the graphs look very different.

Back