Interest Rates to Drop?

This was good news but it doesn't look so bright with the banks, none are in a hurry to announce their new rate which obviously must be less than the cut.

The collusion continues... The longer it goes on the less likely its gonna get passed on in full. Pitty them poor bank tellers who are going to cop it this arvo/tomorrow.

My view is that this cone of silence being deployed by the Big Four is, in part at least, a function of the media frenzy and political jawboning around previous rate movements.

Patently each of the four want to recoup margin. But given past media and political criticism when they've done so, there's little to no incentive to go first. Nor is there any incentive in moving outside what the other three do. So it's in the interests of each of them to see how the others react and go last. The longer they delay, it's not costing them money. And it's buying the certainty of the PR position they'll be in.

I dont think there will be another until April/May, but perhaps back to back again like we have just had.

What are your thoughts on how this dip in rates is going to effect prices? The economy is going along at a snails pace currently, a few rate decreases i do think will change it much, unless it starts hitting the mid to high 5s.

Usually a decrease should increase demand/price, but i dont see it happening this time around.

They'll probably put a press release out at 5 pm on Friday saying they aren't pasing it on.

Yes, a good strategy, everyone will be only thinking of getting home to enjoy the weekend and forget about the news or rates etc. This is like how Qantas waited for the weekend to announce the airline stoppage.

im glad more and more people are starting to see the light, that reduced official cash rates are not necessarily going to save the housing market and the economy overall.

Good job.

Though I think my rise is around the corner

Tomorrow's headline:
Big 4 delivers Christmas gifts - mortgage rates to increase by 0.30%

Back