Interest Rates - where now??

First question....What inflation?

Question two.......The article is talking about mid-term fixed rates, not any of the other kinds. It states short-term rates are still going down, both in the text and on the graph.

Good points.

I think, though, that we are probably at the bottom of the current interest rate cycle.

First question....What inflation?

Question two.......The article is talking about mid-term fixed rates, not any of the other kinds. It states short-term rates are still going down, both in the text and on the graph.

exactly - the article is a hot mess of contradiction and makes little reference to any meaningful sources

Good points.

I think, though, that we are probably at the bottom of the current interest rate cycle.

We are definitely at the bottom, hope we have at least another 12 months before they start rising. I personally can not see rates rising next year.

We are definitely at the bottom, hope we have at least another 12 months before they start rising. I personally can not see rates rising next year.

FWIW, I don't think the RBA will be in a big hurry to raise rates. They have indicated they want a lower dollar, and that they would like to see more building construction.

My (almost) secret hope is that rates stay where they are for the next 2 and a half years so I can re-lock in at good rates!

FWIW, I don't think the RBA will be in a big hurry to raise rates. They have indicated they want a lower dollar, and that they would like to see more building construction.

My (almost) secret hope is that rates stay where they are for the next 2 and a half years so I can re-lock in at good rates!

I have started locking, got as low as 4.67% (3 years), amazing

RBA reduces economic growth forecasts, leaves door ajar to cut interest rates.

Bill Evans from Westpac forecasts two more interest rate cuts next year.

I'd expect the US dollar to strengthen next year on the back of solid (although unspectacular) growth there. That might help our currency down to the low nineties but also mean a further domestic rate cut may not be needed, especially in light of increasing spend in our property market. Could see a rate increase late next year, especially if the resources market picks up again.

All conjecture, but that's my take and I'm not paid as much as Bill Evans from Westpac!

interest rates to rise next year. why?

• FHB'ers and familys buying up property while rates are low and almost good clearance rates too
  • Investors buying more properties
  • record amount of donations
  • strong aussie dollar ( but not good for our country)

plus many more factors aswell, i see it happening middle next year.

economists can ONLY predict short term, NEVER long term.

Nick

I also think interest rates will increase from here on because the benefits outweigh any negatives and will help stop over heating the property market. A strong Aussie dollar is good.

its only good if you want to buy stuff overseas not in australia. if was dollar was 60 cents we'd have more jobs and exports in the country. hence why holden was such a strong car company 10 years ago. look at it now its falling beyond brink. i say buy aussie made products or we will (or are) the laughing stock of the world.

Back