Interest Rates

Howdy

Just wondering how people are going with their rates.
Just got mine reduced to 4.85 with one of the big 4, ( average 85%LVR)
Had a work colleague Bragging about their 4.54 Loans.com.au loan.
Wondering if anyone else is with them and what the catch is.

Cheers

Hi Zimby

Plenty of info on them from previous posts.

Works well for some - not so for others. I doubt they'd fit the need of most investors but if rate is the single most important factor then they would be a good lender.

Cheers

Jamie

Howdy

Just wondering how people are going with their rates.
Just got mine reduced to 4.85 with one of the big 4, ( average 85%LVR)
Had a work colleague Bragging about their 4.54 Loans.com.au loan.
Wondering if anyone else is with them and what the catch is.

Cheers

Basics will suit some

Cracks me up that mate at work will brag about driving a Cheryl j2 to the guy that drives a wrx or a sv8...

Ta
Rolf

4.65 via CUA Fresh Start (variable). 80% min LVR

Has an offset account, split, no min redraw etc options as well.

Most of the rock bottom rates are basic loans without the above options, that's usually the 'catch'

I'm a bit biased, but Pick Bank on What services they can provide, Mainly IT related.
Have been with online banks in the past and can be quite tricky if you need large sums of cash in a hurry.They also seem less flexible when it comes to getting special rates/special situations approved.

I'm a bit biased, but Pick Bank on What services they can provide, Mainly IT related.
Have been with online banks in the past and can be quite tricky if you need large sums of cash in a hurry.They also seem less flexible when it comes to getting special rates/special situations approved.

a good example of need/product/service driven choice rather than pure price

ta
rolf

Good question zimby,my rate is 5.5% on my ip :(

Question for brokers,i went through a broker 1 1/2 yrs ago,can i switch without incurring fees?

Thanks in advance,Shovelhead.

There will always be switching fees - there's usually a small discharge fee, state govt.charges and possible application fee with new lender. All up - budget around $1k.

Having said that - some lenders will rebate those fees.

In terms of your broker - they may have a deferred fee if you close down the loan within a certain period (usually two years) due to the bank clawing back their commission. If they do have this - they would have disclosed it in a credit quote.

Cheers

Jamie

Good question zimby,my rate is 5.5% on my ip :(

Question for brokers,i went through a broker 1 1/2 yrs ago,can i switch without incurring fees?

Thanks in advance,Shovelhead.

Cost to switch really depends on the lender and product you've got. If you want to change lenders it will definitely cost you. If you simply want to change products within the same lender; perhaps, perhaps not.

So just as example,it would be worth switching going by Jamie M ie:budget around 1k-to switch to a lender such as in zimby's case @ 4.85% right?

So just as example,it would be worth switching going by Jamie M ie:budget around 1k-to switch to a lender such as in zimby's case @ 4.85% right?

If you're going from a variable rate to a different lender, it will probably cost between $600 - $1,000 to switch.

If you're on a fixed rate, then you need ask your lender the 'break costs'. These would usually be so high that it's not worthwhile (10s of thousands in some cases).

Often the easiest and most cost effective solution is to simply renegotiate with your existing lender.

That's for fixed rates and it may not be that bad, it may even be nothing. It depends on what the fixed rate is and what the rates are now. The only way to know what a fixed rate break cost would be is to ask the lender.

What is your total Lend and LVR tho?
Also switched from ANZ as their Credit card system was terrible, rewards good, but unable to see pending transactions on the statement.
I called them and they advised " you can always call us to check" lol

Variable Peter.

Hey Shovelhead - doing a difference in the interest rate X loan amount will help you get a yearly cost saving on your IP mortgage (pre tax calc).

As a first step before switching lenders, you might want to give your lender a call. A 5.5% variable rate is very high and you should be able to get a pretty big discount from there.

Back